Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2016 7:17:55 PM EDT
I have always like curry dishes but laltely have been trying my hand at cooking some of the various styles like...

Indian
Chinese
Jamiacan
Thai

Anyone like to cook curry?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Curry's good. It's my usual choice from the local Thai restaurant. I'm not much of a cook and haven't tried making any myself.

Also, poop thread!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Love it!

For home recipes, I usually use Patak's concentrated Hot Curry Paste.  A little goes a long way.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have always like curry dishes but laltely have been trying my hand at cooking some of the various styles like...

Indian
Chinese
Jamiacan
Thai

Anyone like to cook curry?
View Quote

They're all good!

Golden Curry is best when I'm hungry AND lazy.

Mix with browned hamburger and let simmer for about 15 minutes then add onions and water chestnuts. After another couple minutes of simmering it's good to go.

Do the dishes as you go and all you'll have left to wash is the bowl and spoon. It's the "no brainer" dinner.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I make different Indian style curry dishes a couple times a month.

I like using Patak's brand curry pastes to make things easy.  If your local grocer doesn't carry their stuff, Amazon does.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Co Co's .

Never found a local place that has it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't like it, but I make thai red curry for my wife sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone make their own curry or just buy prepared?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife make me curry about once a week.    Prepackaged curry powder and red curry paste.  I am a lucky guy.  

Moose make a fantastic curry.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thai curry paste is great.  You can use fresh kafir leaves, lemon grass, chilies, etc.

I make green curry chicken with basil, fresh got peppers, coconut milk and bamboo shoots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thai curry paste is great.  You can use fresh kafir leaves, lemon grass, chilies, etc.

I make green curry chicken with basil, fresh got peppers, coconut milk and bamboo shoots.
View Quote

Sounds great.

I am more into the Jamaican and Chinese styles because I lived in Jamaica for years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
We make green, red and yellow curry.

Favorite curry restaurants are Thai and Indian, so my recipes tend to favor those as starting points.

Start with curry powder or paste of various types and a basic recipe.  Then add meat and veggies.

Then modify the recipe over time to fit our tastes, or the meat and veggies on hand.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Thai Panang curry is one of my all-time favorite dishes. I've found that the Maesri brand cans of panang curry paste will yield results at least as good as the local restaurants.

Fry the paste in a little coconut oil, dissolve it into some coconut milk, add lime juice, fish sauce, a little peanut butter, and sliced green bell peppers towards the end (I want them to still be crunchy when I bite them), and then put in your choice of meat. Serve over jasmine rice.

It reheats very well, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I make curry. Prefer Thai style.

I have curry paste for green, red, and masman in my fridge.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thai Panang curry is one of my all-time favorite dishes. I've found that the Maesri brand cans of panang curry paste will yield results at least as good as the local restaurants.

Fry the paste in a little coconut oil, dissolve it into some coconut milk, add lime juice, fish sauce, a little peanut butter, and sliced green bell peppers towards the end (I want them to still be crunchy when I bite them), and then put in your choice of meat. Serve over jasmine rice.

It reheats very well, too.
View Quote

Right...I have noticed this as well.  Curry seems to taste a bit better the next day.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I love all the ones you mentioned plus Japanese and Javanese as well.  Try them .
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
While living in Jamaica we used this prepared curry powder quite often.  I think one of the biggest differences in Jamaican curry is that is contains allspice (ground pimento berries).

http://www.amazon.com/Karjos-Easispice-Curry-Powder-Seasoning/dp/B00DC7INJS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Another one that's real nice is ...

http://www.amazon.com/Jamaican-Choice-Curry-Powder-6-25/dp/B00S3O8O8A/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1459987959&sr=1-2&keywords=choice+jamaican+curry

Both of these are fairly mild on the heat index which I prefer.  The real hot ones are good for a couple of bites but I like to be able to enjoy my food.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love all the ones you mentioned plus Japanese and Javanese as well.  Try them .
View Quote

I never had a Japanese curry..

Which Japanese one do you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone tried Chief Brand Curry?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Love it!

For home recipes, I usually use Patak's concentrated Hot Curry Paste. A little goes a long way.

View Quote

Not when I'm using it !!!

It is tasty tho!!!

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is tasty tho!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love it!

For home recipes, I usually use Patak's concentrated Hot Curry Paste. A little goes a long way.

It is tasty tho!!!

Do most here use a paste of some type as opposed to a powder?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I cook a really good thai green curry.

Making your own paste is easy if you have a lot of asian grocery stores around, and I grow my own basil and thai peppers.

I have several Lotte and H-marts around me with all the right herbs, spices, and produce.

I don't buy meat at them, though. There are better places for that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had Chinese curry and Indian Curry.  I liked the Indian curry way better.  Yellow curry on both.

I have not had Thai curry yet.  I've only had Thai food a handful of times.  Nicely done stuff.  There was one place in Watertown NY that was very good but the place was a more fancy sit down place with linen cloths and napkins etc  so I didn't have cause to go there a lot.    Definitely was done by a chef who cared about his food and his presentation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do most here use a paste of some type as opposed to a powder?
View Quote

I have made curry with paste, powder and both in the same dish.  

We have a good 'Asian' store about 45 minutes from here.   The same family owns a Pho restaurant next door.   Eat dinner, then shopping.  

I try to impulse buy different curry types.  Some have been very good and some have met the trash....
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I cook a really good thai green curry.

Making your own paste is easy if you have a lot of asian grocery stores around, and I grow my own basil and thai peppers.

I have several Lotte and H-marts around me with all the right herbs, spices, and produce.

I don't buy meat at them, though. There are better places for that.
View Quote

We also grow our own.   Last summer, we accidentally ended up with a lemon basil plant.   Surprisingly good in moderation.   Too much would overwhelm the dish with 'lemon'.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
For those of you who use prepackaged curry powders, find a recipe for an Indian garam masala or Jamaican curry powder, then roast and grind the whole spices yourself. It'll smell glorious and you'll never look back. I've got a good Jamaican curry powder recipe I use in a lot of stuff, but Indian dishes always have seasoning specific to certain dishes, so they're a lot more involved but you really appreciate the differences between a Goan masala and a Kashmiri masala making it yourself. I've made thai pastes, and I'm not sure if they're more "authentic" but I admit I kinda prefer the prepackaged thai pastes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For those of you who use prepackaged curry powders, find a recipe for an Indian garam masala or Jamaican curry powder, then roast and grind the whole spices yourself. It'll smell glorious and you'll never look back. I've got a good Jamaican curry powder recipe I use in a lot of stuff, but Indian dishes always have seasoning specific to certain dishes, so they're a lot more involved but you really appreciate the differences between a Goan masala and a Kashmiri masala making it yourself. I've made thai pastes, and I'm not sure if they're more "authentic" but I admit I kinda prefer the prepackaged thai pastes.
View Quote

Care to share your Jamaican recipe?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I do a thai curry a couple times a month. The wife and I both love them, along with some tom ka and some spring rolls.

I experimented with Indian curries for a while but found out I didn't like them enough to bother making them repeatedly. I would like to try making butter chicken sometime, though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do a thai curry a couple times a month. The wife and I both love them, along with some tom ka and some spring rolls.

I experimented with Indian curries for a while but found out I didn't like them enough to bother making them repeatedly. I would like to try making butter chicken sometime, though.
View Quote

Butter chicken is awesome!

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a recipe?

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My co-worker's wife made us all butter chicken one day. That was fantastic!

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Panang curry I make pretty good it's awesome on whole fried fish with vegies n Basmati rice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#34]
As a child I remember coming in through the back door and feeling my heart sink as I smelled the repulsive odor of curry powder in the house. Mom would make lamb curry over rice and I detested it.

How one's taste changes.

I sure love them now. Indian, West Indian, Thai....they're all good.

One of my favorite Habanero hot sauce recipes uses curry powder an an ingredient.

Home Style Inner Beauty Hot Sauce Recipe
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Maesri canned curry pastes are really good. They come in a variety of styles including red, green, and yellow.

Many Asian groceries sell them as well as Amazon:

Note: prepared curry pastes tend to be high in sodium and some are sodium bombs. This is not usually a big deal as you are only using a little bit in a dish meant to feed several persons but if you are watching your sodium intake then be aware. Of course, you can make your own from scratch to eliminate salt.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I cannot recommend the yellow and red curry powders sold on occasion at Aldi. They're spices mixed in a jar of salt. Yuk.

Penzey's sells excellent curry powder ("Maharajah"). If you're lucky enough to have a West Indian grocery nearby they sell large jars of hot curry powder. Usually yellow curry as they contain lots of turmeric (which is a natural anti-inflammatory and is regarded as a super-food).
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got a recipe?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a recipe?  

I'll see if my daughters can find it.   My wife and I have been writing/printing recipes for 15 years.  Then we fold them up and stuff them in the 'recipe box'.  
Daughters have have had enough of "Find recipe for X" and have been organizing them into a three ring binder.  

If they know where the butter chicken recipe is, I'll try to remember to scan it and post it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#38]
If you have access to the fresh ingredients to make the types of curry paste you like do your self a favor  and do so  . If you don't own a mortar & pestle then you've never made a curry paste or salsa or guacamole etc......
The dry curry I've been obsessed with lately is Indonesian Ayam .
Here is a list of regional curry blends I keep on hand
Besar
Capetown Masala
Caribbean
Continental
Indonesian Ayam
Kashmiri
Madras South Indian
Pakistani
Poudre De Colombo
Sri Lankan
Tandoori
Turkish
Vadouvan one of my favorites
Garam Masala - Indian
Garam Masala - Kashmiri
Masala - Chaat
Masala - Kala
Masala - Sambar
Masala - Tikka

Curry Pastes

S&B Golden Curry or Vermont Curry for Japanese style
Mae Ploy every type for Thai curry
As far as Indian pastes I haven't found one that was worth purchasing .

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I've never cooked it myself, but the Indian in my office does.  
It's great eating the food when your house doesn't stink.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you have access to the fresh ingredients to make the types of curry paste you like do your self a favor  and do so  . If you don't own a mortar & pestle then you've never made a curry paste or salsa or guacamole etc......
The dry curry I've been obsessed with lately is Indonesian Ayam .
Here is a list of regional curry blends I keep on hand
Besar
Capetown Masala
Caribbean
Continental
Indonesian Ayam
Kashmiri
Madras South Indian
Pakistani
Poudre De Colombo
Sri Lankan
Tandoori
Turkish
Vadouvan one of my favorites
Garam Masala - Indian
Garam Masala - Kashmiri
Masala - Chaat
Masala - Kala
Masala - Sambar
Masala - Tikka

Curry Pastes

S&B Golden Curry or Vermont Curry for Japanese style
Mae Ploy every type for Thai curry
As far as Indian pastes I haven't found one that was worth purchasing .

View Quote

That's a lot of different curry.   The Vermont curry has a hell of a lot of sodium in it in case you didn't notice.

I will have to try the Indonesian Ayam.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I cannot recommend the yellow and red curry powders sold on occasion at Aldi. They're spices mixed in a jar of salt. Yuk.

Penzey's sells excellent curry powder ("Maharajah"). If you're lucky enough to have a West Indian grocery nearby they sell large jars of hot curry powder. Usually yellow curry as they contain lots of turmeric (which is a natural anti-inflammatory and is regarded as a super-food).
View Quote

Penzeys maharajah and their tandoori are both excellent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maesri canned curry pastes are really good. They come in a variety of styles including red, green, and yellow.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YhF47Rb0L._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

Note: prepared curry pastes tend to be high in sodium and some are sodium bombs. This is not usually a big deal as you are only using a little bit in a dish meant to feed several persons but if you are watching your sodium intake then be aware. Of course, you can make your own from scratch to eliminate salt.

View Quote

I use the red to make thai curry. Its good shit, don't follow the instructions though unless you want it HOT. I mean really hot. I got a can of the green to try out sometime too.

I've had a hard time getting the chicken to incorporate well into the curry. I saute it first, and it always ends up tasting bland and out of place, no matter how I season it. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to fix this? I think marinating it might go a long ways but I don't know what to marinate it in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the unlikely event that such things matter, the guy who owns Penzey's is a complete libtard douchenozzle who holds utter contempt for anyone who does not share his views.

There are several sources for spices that are as good or better than Penzey's and as cheap or cheaper that do not openly mock conservatives.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In the unlikely event that such things matter, the guy who owns Penzey's is a complete libtard douchenozzle who holds utter contempt for anyone who does not share his views.

There are several sources for spices that are as good or better than Penzey's and as cheap or cheaper that do not openly mock conservatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanx...I did not know this.  I will not be buying from Penzey's anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I use the red to make thai curry. Its good shit, don't follow the instructions though unless you want it HOT. I mean really hot. I got a can of the green to try out sometime too.

I've had a hard time getting the chicken to incorporate well into the curry. I saute it first, and it always ends up tasting bland and out of place, no matter how I season it. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to fix this? I think marinating it might go a long ways but I don't know what to marinate it in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YhF47Rb0L._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

I let the chicken marinate in the dry spices as long as I can prior to cooking.   I then melt some coconut oil in a pan and add the chicken mixture and sauté for a 5 minutes or so.  Then add some chicken stock to pan and mix to create a gravy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I let the chicken marinate in the dry spices as long as I can prior to cooking.   I then melt some coconut oil in a pan and add the chicken mixture and sauté for a 5 minutes or so.  Then add some chicken stock to pan and mix to create a gravy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of spices and what kind of curry is this for? I've seen a recipe for pad thai that said to let the chicken marinate in fish sauce for 15 minutes before cooking, but I haven't tried it with anything yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Green or red...I likes them both.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I always use Mae Ploy yellow curry paste when cooking chicken curry, along with coconut milk, and various spices (whole cumin, cardamom, coriander etc) and always finish is with a sprinkling of dried fenugreek leaves. The flavor added by the fenugreek is amazing! You don't need much and you won't want to cook it down, only add it after the cooking is done and the sauce is cooling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always use Mae Ploy yellow curry paste when cooking chicken curry, along with coconut milk, and various spices (whole cumin, cardamom, coriander etc) and always finish is with a sprinkling of dried fenugreek leaves. The flavor added by the fenugreek is amazing! You don't need much and you won't want to cook it down, only add it after the cooking is done and the sauce is cooling.
View Quote

Most of the yellow curries I have already contain cumin, cardamom, coriander and fenugreek.

I will have to looj up the Mae Ploy.

Ordered a Singapore chow fun last night for dinner ay my usual Chinese place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Most of the yellow curries I have already contain cumin, cardamom, coriander and fenugreek.

I will have to looj up the Mae Ploy.

Ordered a Singapore chow fun last night for dinner ay my usual Chinese place.
View Quote

I'm sure it already has cumin, coriander, etc., but I prefer adding them myself. I use whole seeds instead of ground spices or grind them just before using because the flavor diminishes. As far as fenugreek, any cooking at all will take away most of the flavor which is why I add it after the dish is cooling.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top