Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2016 10:20:13 AM EDT
Been making fried rice on and off for years but does not result in the kind of rice you get from restaurants: The finished product tends to be sticky and clumpy. Restaurant fried rice has individual grains that are all evenly coated.

I did make a small batch a couple of weeks ago that turned out better than most. It was made from pretty old brown rice.

So I don't know where I'm going wrong. I do know that that you're supposed to use cold, cooked rice preferably a variety that's not glutinous (no short grain, glutinous, or "instant") and that seasonings such as soy sauce (if used at all) should be used sparingly. I also tried using rice refrigerated overnight and the clumps broken up before using (but it was still kind of sticky).

Washing rice before cooking is always recommended to remove excess starch.

Maybe I just need to leave it in the fridge for a few days and let it really dry out before using.

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave in the fridge for a few days
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Boil your rice like pasta. Use more water than called for. When it is done, rinse well. It will get rid of the starch and stop the cooking process. Without the starch it should be easier to work with.
This is how I do all my rice anymore. Always comes out good.

ETA: more words.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been having the same problem as you. I think using a rice cooker may be worse for making fried rice. I'll try rinsing the rice next time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
while never having made it myself, I have always heard to use old rice (leftover) for some reason. I should learn to do it rather than spend the $7 per quart my local place charges me
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
As already said. Leave it in the fridge uncovered. I've worked in Asian Fusion restaurants since I was in culinary school. Cook your rice, spread it on a sheet tray and put it in the fridge overnight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Rinsing rice is also recommended to help remove arsenic which makes its way into rice via whatever water supply used to grow it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Your pan is over loaded. Try to make it in smaller batches, you barely want to cover the bottom of the pan. And you want it really hot, practically smoking. I do 3 to 4 small batches and toss it all together at the end.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rinsing rice is also recommended to help remove arsenic which makes its way into rice via whatever water supply used to grow it.

View Quote

Da fuq?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Da fuq?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Da fuq?

I'm pretty sure my roommate would be dead by now if rice had arsenic in it. Lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Da fuq?

It's a common fact that rice has arsenic in it from fertilizer.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Cook rice, put in fridge and make it the next day. Butter, minced garlic, soy sauce and oyster sauce are musts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for the tip to leave it for a day uncovered. Was covering it and keeping the moisture.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]
This. Fried rice is yesterdays rice. Two days in the fridge and it's perfect.

Now I'm hungry for fried rice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/Cl4bmN6Hcww

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Da fuq?

https://youtu.be/Cl4bmN6Hcww

He eats fried rice for at least one meal every day, if not for both. He sucks at making it though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a friend that cooks it every day at his restaurant ... He uses Jasmine Rice... And takes it straight from the rice cooker.. Best Fried Rice ever..
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe I'm lucky or just not as picky as some of the other guys here but I don't do most of the stuff listed and my fired rice comes out pretty damn good IMO. No, it won't win any awards or be considered the best ever by anybody but it's been well received by all the people I've fed it to.

I use regular long grain white rice.
I do not rinse my rice (before or after cooking).
I cook the rice in a standard pot per the bags instructions with some salt and butter.
I don't use it right away for fried rice. Once cooled, I put the cooked rice all smashed together in a regular Tupperware type container and leave it covered in the fridge for 2 - 5 days. I bring the rice back to room temperature before I start cooking
I use a regular non-stick frying pan (12") on an electric stove (coil not glass) on it's highest settings. My stove does get pretty hot. Enough to make the ingredients dance around (and sometimes out of) the pan.
I use standard Kikkoman low salt soy sauce
The pan does get very over crowded by the end

Even with doing everything "wrong", I never have issues with the rice being sticky. From a consistency and texture standpoint, my fried rice is right on point and is as good as any restaurant made fried rice I've had. Taste is a matter of personal opinion but taste has more to do with seasoning and ingredients used rather then tools or technique so I that doesn't really factor in here IMO.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I use "Three Sisters" brand jasmine rice. I used to do the rinsing step, but over the years got lazy. I started adding the rinsing step back in again. Net info claims it removes the starch and reduces the sticky'ness. I tried everything up to ten rinses, and really can't say it changes the overall outcome of my rice. Using cold refrigerator rice does help! Also reducing the amount of water makes the rice a little firmer. Another tip I can give is use a bullion paste like "Better Than Bullion", or make your own using Knorr! I try to get most my flavoring in this paste. And use as little liquid as possible, aside from soy sauce.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
As others have said, the rice must be pretty darn dry.

ALSO, to get fried rice like you'd get in a restaurant you need a major heat source. My stove has 22K BTU burners and I can almost get there with a Chinese hand hammered wok. Most ranges are 9-12k. A good wok jet burner will do between 100k and 200k BTUs.

But having dry rice and a good hot pan will get you a good bit of the way there. Some peas, egg, a little sugar and salt, and some lap cheong and you're off to the races.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use "Three Sisters" brand jasmine rice. I used to do the rinsing step, but over the years got lazy. I started adding the rinsing step back in again. Net info claims it removes the starch and reduces the sticky'ness. I tried everything up to ten rinses, and really can't say it changes the overall outcome of my rice. Using cold refrigerator rice does help! Also reducing the amount of water makes the rice a little firmer. Another tip I can give is use a bullion paste like "Better Than Bullion", or make your own using Knorr! I try to get most my flavoring in this paste. And use as little liquid as possible, aside from soy sauce.
View Quote

You add the bullion cube dry to the cooking rice?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#23]
3.5lbs of Trader Joe's Jasmine rice cooked the day before and left uncovered in the fridge.
2lbs of chicken thighs marinaded in Mr Yoshidas for 36hrs
1/4lb of bacon
1/2 a large sweet onion
6 eggs
A bunch of veggies: water chestnuts, peas, carrots, edamame, broccoli, shredded cabbage, asparagus
Fried rice seasoning and soy sauce to taste

I start with the bacon, then the onions, then the chicken, push all that up high on the side, then the veggies, and finally the rice and eggs. Finish by mixing it all back together. Of course it helps to have a large cooking surface.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As already said. Leave it in the fridge uncovered. I've worked in Asian Fusion restaurants since I was in culinary school. Cook your rice, spread it on a sheet tray and put it in the fridge overnight.
View Quote

I live in Japan and I've never seen any Asian do that.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Ya'll are weird.

Rice cooked in rice cooker.

Dump rice into hot skillet with olive oil.

Move the rice continually so it doesn't stick.

Add crushed garlic cloves.

Add *small* amount of fish sauce.

Add *small* amount of Kikkoman.

Add meat -- chicken, shrimp, whatever you want.  Small pieces.

season to taste with garlic salt or regular salt.

Add egg if desired, just pull the rice to the side until the egg starts to set, then mix it in.

Add tomatoes, peppers or the like if desired.

serve hot.

Filipino wife loves it.  Takes less than ten minutes once the rice finishes cooking in the rice cooker.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
3.5lbs of Trader Joe's Jasmine rice cooked the day before and left uncovered in the fridge.
1/4lb of bacon
1/2 a large sweet onion
6 eggs
A bunch of veggies: water chestnuts, peas, carrots, edamame, broccoli, shredded cabbage, asparagus

I start with the bacon, then the onions, then the chicken, push all that up high on the side, then the veggies, and finally the rice and eggs. Finish by mixing it all back together. Of course it helps to have a large cooking surface.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg24/Snibbets/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvop3rzpx.jpeg
View Quote

What are you cooking on in that pic? It looks pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Nevermind, I didn't read.   Bad me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/4lb of bacon
1/2 a large sweet onion
6 eggs

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg24/Snibbets/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvop3rzpx.jpeg

This type of cooker is called a discada according to a BBQ forum where I first read about the concept. Rather than the regular round blades this is a well worn notched disc blade that I welded the hole shut on. It is curently 23" in dia and close to a 1/4" thick in the middle and it is heavy. Whatever steel it is made out of is very hard and once I got it cleaned up and seasoned nothing sticks to it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#29]
That's awesome.  My buddy has a wok made out of a ditching blade, but its not near as big as that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#30]
That "Discada" is badass, now I want one.

And...

Water chestnuts, and peas do not belong in Freid rice!

Everything else is GTG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That "Discada" is badass, now I want one.

And...

Water chestnuts, and peas do not belong in Freid rice!

Everything else is GTG.
View Quote

As long as my little ones will eat the veggies I put in there I keep adding more everytime. Pretty soon it will be chicken/pork fried vegetables with rice.

I believe that Tractor Supply sells discadas if you want to buy versus DIY. Theirs aren't near as heavy and they have handles too which I forgot to add. One of these days I will have to put them on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top