Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT

Good crusty bread (toasted ciabatta is good)
Leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes
thinly sliced sharp cheddar
a bit of room temperature butter
Vegemite

I mix a bit of Vegemite (or Marmite) with the butter to make a spread to put on both slices of bread. Not too much. A thin layer of cheddar. LOTS of 'mater slices and a goodly amount of lettuce.

Good stuff.

Kraft Foods Australia

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the song, have no desire to eat any Vegemite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
They have Marmite here in New Zealand, it's disgusting. The first ingredient is yeast paste. No thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zPBPMpzbo68/UOiY3GlCYPI/AAAAAAAAAf8/fTY5KExftE4/s1600/men-at-work-land-down-under-vegemite-sandwich-meme.jpg

Good crusty bread (toasted ciabatta is good)
Leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes
thinly sliced sharp cheddar
a bit of room temperature butter
Vegemite

I mix a bit of Vegemite (or Marmite) with the butter to make a spread to put on both slices of bread. Not too much. A thin layer of cheddar. LOTS of 'mater slices and a goodly amount of lettuce.

Good stuff.

Kraft Foods Australia

View Quote

Disgusting stuff.  I dated an Aussie girl for a couple of years.  She loved it, but I couldn't see the appeal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Philistines, all of you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just not good. It's really not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Philistines, all of you.
View Quote

I have given it more than one good try.  I had the real stuff prepared by an Aussie.  it still sucked.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The first time I tried it was at a Land Rover 4wheeling event here in the USA.  I thought it was toast with Apple butter in it.  Talk about a rude awakening.  

Later on I got so I liked it but it's definitely one of those polarizing foods.  You either love it or hate it.  There is no changing opinions on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first time I tried it was at a Land Rover 4wheeling event here in the USA.  I thought it was toast with Apple butter in it.  Talk about a rude awakening.  

Later on I got so I liked it but it's definitely one of those polarizing foods.  You either love it or hate it.  There is no changing opinions on it.
View Quote

I used to hear it called "Australian Peanut Butter". Uh, no. No one...at least no one in their right mind...would use it as liberally as that.

I use it sparingly like a pea-sized bit on a buttered English muffin or piece of toast; It's really salty so I just use enough to get that umami thing going.

My present jar of Vegemite (220g) was purchased four years ago I've still got a bit left.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect but I swear the B vitamins in it give me a mental "lift".
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I still need to try it. Not sure if I will love it or hate it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The British guy I know who eats it mixes it in pretty evenly with his butter on toast.  A little goes a long ways.  His American born kid supposedly loves it but he has eaten it since a baby practically.  I don't think it's a good that wins many adult converts.  I like it but I'll freely admit it's gross. Lol. I like to say it's just one of those odd things like seaweed salad, gross but good.  I really can't explain it.

It's like eating a yeast beef bullion paste.  

You can use it as a broth base and for other stuff too it doesn't have to be a condiment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top