Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 6:17:35 PM EDT
When I was growing up, my mother just called it steak and gravy

She browned cube steak and a brown gravy was made from the pan drippings, then the steak was simmered till done.

I used to nail this dish, but lately I seem to have lost my touch.  No matter how long I stir the rue It tastes like flour.

So how long should it take to cook the flour taste out of the gravy and how long to cook the steak?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Last country style steak i ate was a hamburger steak with brown gravy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes I'll take round steak and cut it in strips and pour a couple cans of rotel on top, then I'll put a lid on it and simmer for 2.5 hours and it will be extremely tender.

Don't know what to tell you about the flour, never had any trouble. I usually simmer for just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]

It used to be so easy

I guess it's a product of getting older

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You should cook the roux for a few minutes before adding any water or milk. The heat cooks off the flour taste. I assume your using the drippings, a bit of butter, and flour for the roux?

To be a bit more clear...you need to cook the roux before you turn it into gravy. Once you add the liquid to the roux you cant cook the flour taste out of it.

Oh and my mother used to make it for us fairly often. Basic delicious comfort food
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should cook the roux for a few minutes before adding any water or milk. The heat cooks off the flour taste. I assume your using the drippings, a bit of butter, and flour for the roux?  

To be a bit more clear...you need to cook the roux before you turn it into gravy. Once you add the liquid to the roux you cant cook the flour taste out of it.

Oh and my mother used to make it for us fairly often. Basic delicious comfort food
View Quote

Yep, I'm using the pan drippings and an equal amount of flour.  I cook the roux before adding water, but no matter how long I cook the it, or how dark it gets, I can not cook out the gritty flour taste.  Like I said, there was a time I could do this in my sleep.

I know it's my technique  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
hrmmmm...

Maybe the heat is to high and you're scorching it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Could it be the flour that's throwing it off ? Maybe a better grade of flour is needed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Could it be the flour that's throwing it off ? Maybe a better grade of flour is needed.
View Quote

Both above good questions.  I have indeed scorched the flour while experimenting.  I try to avoid that,

I've used all of the premium brands, in plain, all purpose, and self rising.  Same with all flours.

Well, it's simmering, we'll see shortly

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Add a cup of this mornings strong coffee to it. In the least it could only make it better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The only thing I can think of is that there are pockets of flour not getting cooked. Maybe try a sifter/sieve and make sure the pan has no liquid that's not oil before adding it. Also maybe a theres someplace on the pan is helping to form pockets and not getting stirred, but I really don't see how that would happen.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
try using Wondra flour
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
quite simply you are using to much flour... use half the flour cook it for a bit with the drippings, add water and bring to a simmer and half there for a few minutes. Let reduction bring you to its final /desired consistency.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Add boiling water to the pan drippings and have it very hot before stirring in the flour.  Stir the gravy constantly with a long wisk.  I always add some Kitchen Bouquet Browning sauce.  A cheat is if it gets lumpy, take your boat motor to it!!!   (immersion blender)

We also use a tupperware gravy mixer and use cold water and flour mixed separately prior to adding to the gravy.  Keep the pan drippings hot, stir in the slurry slowly.

This is one recipe the wife has mastered!

Flour type has never mattered.  We always use AP.

Someone mentioned coffee, and that does have its place in some recipes.  Mostly a red eye gravy for ham and biscuits.  I call mine a brown-eye gravy.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
A too much flour,

And b, USE MILK!! Who the hell makes gravy out of water??

If that's true then y'all mothafucka's need Jesus!

Seriously though, use milk
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A too much flour,

And b, USE MILK!! Who the hell makes gravy out of water??

If that's true then y'all mothafucka's need Jesus!

Seriously though, use milk
View Quote

Water is just thinning the stock a bit.  You would never be able to tell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
quite simply you are using to much flour... use half the flour cook it for a bit with the drippings, add water and bring to a simmer and half there for a few minutes. Let reduction bring you to its final /desired consistency.
View Quote

I agree, sounds like too much flour.  Most roux recipes are equal parts fat to flour.  Then add the liquid after cooking the roux.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top