Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2016 1:16:49 AM EDT
Made this on the fly and it turned out awesome. If you are a fan of Pizza Margherita you'll like it. I used a toaster oven.

Ingredients:

One long, flat loaf of ciabatta bread (I get the "semi-baked" ones at Aldi
Extra-virgin olive oil
fresh ground black pepper
Sea salt or Kosher salt (optional)
1 lb .fresh mozzarella cut into thin slices
2-3 ripe tomatoes cored and thinly sliced
Fresh basil leaves, chopped

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F (bake)

Take a knife and split the ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise so you have to big, flat halves. drizzle the cut side of each half liberally with the olive oil and sprinkle each with freshly ground black pepper and, if desired, a sprinkling of salt. layer the tomato slices on one of the bread pieces then cover with  the sliced mozzarella. Place both section of bread into the toaster oven cut side up and bake until the cheese is melted. Pull the oven rack out and sprinkle the chopped basil leaves on melted cheese and then place the other half of the bread (oil side down) on the half with the tomatoes and cheese and return to the oven baking it until the outside of the loaf is golden and crispy maybe even a bit of char.

Remove from oven and let stand briefly to allow fillings to set.

I swear this sandwich tastes just like a pizza from a wood-fired oven. The bread outside is all crusty and crunchy and the inside is all gooey awesomeness

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Think this is called a grill cheese....  

Sounds delicious
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top