Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 1:18:35 AM EDT
Hope to cook some ribs tomorrow...any tips on temp control?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice little smoker. I have the 22.5 and love it. Make sure you season it up well before you cook on it! Some people report temp fluctuations if they don't get a good seasoning on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you use water in the pan it can just about run wide open and maintain a nice 220 deg F humid smoke. Some people prefer to run a dry pan or some other type of defuser. It will burn more efficient with out water because your not taking energy in to a mass of water to evaporate  or boil it.  The other side is water boils at 212 deg so it wont get any hotter until its turn in to steam. This creates a 212 deg mass in your smoker that helps keep the temp low. Also water can help smoke penetrate the meat according to some bbq guys.

If I am doing slow and low I use the water pan. If I am doing high heat like chickens I leave the water pan dry or put very little water in it. Once you get the hang of it you can use the water amount to time how you cook. I put a little water in when doing turkeys so I start off with a lower smoke temp. Then let the pan boil dry to transform to a higher heat roast.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips, hope to do a cook on it soon,..to windy and dry right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one for about six months and wasn't terribly fond of it.  The biggest issue was wind causing temps to fluctuate.  There is a lot of uninsulated surface area on a WSM.  It wasn't difficult to compensate for it if the wind was consistent but fluctuating winds would rob the heat one minute then allow it to spike the next.  I ended up cutting a blue plastic barrel down as a wind block which helped considerably before I eventually moved on and bought a BGE.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Never have to worry about it again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41l8eQr8bwL._SY355_.jpg

View Quote

Looing at a pitmaster IQ actually
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So i have a pitmaster iq and the WSM18.5.  Its a ok combo.  My biggest gripe is still temp control.  Mainly that your pit can still get out of control and there's nothing that the iq can do about it.  Also, I've had instances where for whatever reason it let the pit go cold or way colder than it should be.  

So I would say its not as simple as set it and forget it.  

fyi I'm using the minion method for charcoal.  I'm wondering if the snake method might be a better solution as it's less likely to get out of control.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the Guru DigiQ hooked up to mine and it's pretty well self-sufficient once I fire it up. Did a competition test cook a couple weekends ago. Loaded it up and fired it off at about 2:30am (I know, a late start) and the thing ran at the set temp of 250 for 13 hours.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've got the Guru DigiQ hooked up to mine and it's pretty well self-sufficient once I fire it up. Did a competition test cook a couple weekends ago. Loaded it up and fired it off at about 2:30am (I know, a late start) and the thing ran at the set temp of 250 for 13 hours.
View Quote

what method do you use for your charcoal lighting?  Curious if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I vote for selling it and building/buying a properly built uds. The environment and weather won't effect it nearly as much and, it'll be bigger and most likely cheaper.

That, or put some foil as a gasket around the lid and base. The issue with the wsm is the fact that air leaks.

Either way, learn the Minion method of fire starting/building. It's basically a top down burn. Pile up your coal and place a few 12 or so) burning briquettes on top. It'll give you a controlled and even burn. If your pit is really efficient, you can make out bag of coal last a real long time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So i have a pitmaster iq and the WSM18.5.  Its a ok combo.  My biggest gripe is still temp control.  Mainly that your pit can still get out of control and there's nothing that the iq can do about it.  Also, I've had instances where for whatever reason it let the pit go cold or way colder than it should be.  

fyi I'm using the minion method for charcoal.  I'm wondering if the snake method might be a better solution as it's less likely to get out of control.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have an air leak... I will do the minion and get 18 hours at 225 on a UDS with the GURU. All vents closed and top vent open
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:   So i have a pitmaster iq and the WSM18.5.  Its a ok combo.  My biggest gripe is still temp control.  Mainly that your pit can still get out of control and there's nothing that the iq can do about it.  Also, I've had instances where for whatever reason it let the pit go cold or way colder than it should be.  

View Quote

something is rotten in Denmark.(ie- you've got some serious air flow/fire issues) I have an 18.5 WSM and use a pitmaster iq 110 on it. for me, the combo has been rock solid temp steady.

some things to check/correct/look for.....

you said you use minion method....make sure that once assembled, the wsm bowl isn't crushing out your coals.

block the wind--if there is a steady/stiff breeze, try to make a wall/barrier that will prevent each vent from having a direct incoming draft

keep the top vent wide open all the time(lots of folks want to try to control temp with the top vent, don't do it) keep the top full open all the time.(see next line)

when not using a pit controller, use the lower vents to control temp/air flow.

for any other questions regarding WSM, refer to......http://tvwbb.com/

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Cooking ribs today, its a little windy and cool out, took awhile to get the smoker over 200 but its there and holding. I can see where a wind block could be of use. Also found out if you fill the fire ring to full the water bowl hits it, as a previous poster said. All in all I like it so far. It leaks a little but not as bad as some have made them out to.

Anyway will check the ribs around 12:30 or so. I think once I cook on this a few times and get the hang of it, it will be fun. I am new to smoking meats so there is a huge learning curve, But I have watched a ton of videos on youtube and everyone has their own way of smoking.

I wanted a big green egg but my budget said no LOL maybe one day,
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Ribs turned out amazing, ate my fill then took the remaining sides out to work so the weekend crew could enjoy them, they were gone in minutes, nothing but a pile of bones left, LOL
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

what method do you use for your charcoal lighting?  Curious if it makes a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a the Harry Soo method and it's worked pretty good. Load up the ring and burry wood chunks in amongst the briquettes. Then pull out as many briquettes as needed to create a kind of crater in the middle with a single layer of unlit briquettes at the bottom in the middle of the crater (about 3-4). Put thebriquettes you pulled out in your chimney starter and fire it up. When ashed over dump them in the crater and you're off and running.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top