BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What temp do you sou vide your steaks to?  Also what temp do you aim for when the steak is done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone use a Lodge manufacturing steel carbon frying pan?  We don't really need one since we've got tons of cast iron.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/images/CRS12_N.jpg

https://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-steel/12-inch-seasoned-steel-skillet.asp
I picked one up at the lodge outlet down the road. I love it so far. I have been using it to sear my steaks after Suis Vide'ing them.  

What temp do you sou vide your steaks to?  Also what temp do you aim for when the steak is done?
Generally I do steaks to about 138-140F. Let them sit in the tub for a couple hours, and they will be a consistent temp all the way thru of medium rare. Pull them out, pat dry, little kosher salt, and sear em in the hot skillet.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cast iron skillets are overrated.
View Quote

If you say so.

A lot of people just don't know how to use them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jeebus...none of us have been talking about varnish.  None.  That is 100% in you head only.
Nobody knows what the hell you're carrying on about varnish for.  Nobody here is putting varnish on their pans, regardless of your pure willful ignorance of the difference between boiled linseed oil, and flax seed oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not coating the inside of the pan with Linseed oil but Flaxseed oil there is a difference. Off the shelf Flaxseed oil is an edible oil completely natural with no additives. Off the shelf Linseed oil is a furniture finish or as you said barn paint that has additives. Very non edible.

Linseed oil is flax-seed oil. It all starts out the same, but the hardware stuff is typically "'boiled" linseed oil, which originally was flaxseed oil boied in a caldron to make it more viscous. Later, the term "boiled" more often meant flaxseed oil mixed with one or more polymerizing agents. In the past, that agent was lead oxide. Today, that agent is something else. By coating your pan in flaxseed oil and then heating it, you are "boiling" the oil until it hardens. It's just varnish.

What is the difference between varnish and "magic seasoning"?
I have no idea what you are asking, but oil paint is a delicate coating that does not stand up to heat.  

Jeebus...none of us have been talking about varnish.  None.  That is 100% in you head only.
Nobody knows what the hell you're carrying on about varnish for.  Nobody here is putting varnish on their pans, regardless of your pure willful ignorance of the difference between boiled linseed oil, and flax seed oil.
Yes, many here have been talking about varnishing their pans. When you goober linseed oil (flax seed oil) on a pan and expose it to heat, you are putting a coat of oil varnish on your pan, whether you realize it or not. Varnish is relatively delicate and doesn't tolerate extreme heat very well.

Seasoning need not be varnish. And no voodoo ritual is necessary is necessary to get it. There is a better way. But that takes opening your mind to things you have probably never considered. But this is arfcom, where free thinking is treated with derision . . .

LOL.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to call the seasoning you get using flax seed oil a varnish....You can call all polymerized oil Varnish....Until you can tell me the difference between "seasoning" and "varnish"....I have no clue what the tell you.

I've got a Lodge cast iron pan that I "varnished" and it functions fine and none of the "varnish" comes off regardless of how tuff I am on it.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you want to call the seasoning you get using flax seed oil a varnish....You can call all polymerized oil Varnish....Until you can tell me the difference between "seasoning" and "varnish"....I have no clue what the tell you.
I've got a Lodge cast iron pan that I "varnished" and it functions fine and none of the "varnish" comes off regardless of how tuff I am on it.  

View Quote
It is varnish. You can call it some voodoo term all you want, but it is just varnish.

Varnish does function fine. You could paint the pan with varnish finish and bake it, and you would get the exact thing you mistake for seasoning, with virtually no effort. And that painted-on varnish will function fine, too, until you get it really hot—same as for your voodoo "seasoning."

You mistake "functioning fine" for "as good as it gets," though.

You have much to learn.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is varnish. You can call it some voodoo term all you want, but it is just varnish.

Varnish does function fine. You could paint the pan with varnish finish and bake it, and you would get the exact thing you mistake for seasoning, with virtually no effort. And that painted-on varnish will functions fine, until you get it really hot—same as for your voodoo "seasoning."

You have much to learn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Varnish does function fine. You could paint the pan with varnish finish and bake it, and you would get the exact thing you mistake for seasoning, with virtually no effort. And that painted-on varnish will functions fine, until you get it really hot—same as for your voodoo "seasoning."

You have much to learn.

Flax seed oil is not varnish.  This is a fact.  You have the whole internet as your tool.  Provide one reputable link that refers to Flax Seed Oil as a varnish.  All seasoning is polymerized oil/grease/fat.  All seasoning will burn off if you get it hot enough.....Run any pan through the self clean cycle in your oven and the heat will destroy the "varnish", or "seasoning".
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Flax seed oil is not varnish.  This is a fact.  You have the whole internet as your tool.  Provide one reputable link that refers to Flax Seed Oil as a varnish.  All seasoning is polymerized oil/grease/fat.  All seasoning will burn off if you get it hot enough.....Run any pan through the self clean cycle in your oven and the heat will destroy the "varnish", or "seasoning".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have much to learn.

You are mistaken. I build muzzle-loading rifles and use flax-seed oil finish on top of shellac as a matter of course. Put it in the sun, and it turns to varnish. This is old-tech. It far predates the innerneck. Linseed = flax seed, and if you heat it or put it in the sun, it hardens into the substance that we now call varnish. I am sorry if the truth up-ends your little narrative, but it is what it is.

Your little example of the self-clean cycle proves my point. Do the same on a stove-top burner, such as when you are making an Alton Brown steak, and you will see what I am talking about.

Seasoning need not mean varnish. There is a better way. Varnish ain't it. Believe me or don't. I don't write posts like this for dolts who are unwilling to consider alternative ideas. I write posts like this for the few who are open to different ways of looking at the whirled.

I can't make you something you are not.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are mistaken. I build muzzle-loading rifles and use flax-seed oil finish on top of shellac as a matter of course. Put it in the sun, and it turns to varnish. This is old-tech. It far predates the innerneck. Linseed = flax seed, and if you heat it or put it in the sun, it hardens into the substance that we now call varnish. I am sorry if the truth up-ends your little narrative, but it is what it is.  

Your little example of the self-clean cycle proves my point. Do the same on a stove-top burner, such as when you are making an Alton Brown steak, and you will see what I am talking about.

Seasoning need not mean varnish. There is a better way. Varnish ain't it. Believe me or don't. I don't write posts like this for dolts who are unwilling to consider alternative ideas. I write posts like this for the few who are open to different ways of looking at the whirled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have much to learn.

I've seasoned cast iron and carbon steel with flax seed oil, crisco, vegetable oil, canola oil, bacon grease, etc etc etc.  I'm not a linseed oil is the ultimate person and everything I post is from experience.  I've seasoned new and old cast iron with flaxseed oil and ended up with great results.  A lot of people.....including people on this forum have had perfectly good results.  

I challenge you to find evidence of your claim that flax seed oil is somehow different than any other oil/grease when it comes to seasoning a cast iron or carbon steel pan.  There are plenty of articles that google will easily find that support my perspective.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
notice this dolt has not once mentioned a better way than flax, no I mean linseed oil?

thank you for all those in this thread with meaningful info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Any recommendation for a steel fry pan like this but with high sides, kind of like a wok? I would just get a wok but I have a crappy glass stove top and wouldn't really get any benefit from using a wok unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any recommendation for a steel fry pan like this but with high sides, kind of like a wok? I would just get a wok but I have a crappy glass stove top and wouldn't really get any benefit from using a wok unfortunately.
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Wok-Helper-Handle-Bottom/dp/B006U8B9H4

That or any flat bottom carbon steel wok should be GTG
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would work but my stove top has pathetic heat output so I don't think I really need a wok. I'd rather have a steel frying pan, I was just wondering if there was one with slighter higher sides to help keep me from making a mess with rice or veggies, as I'm sometimes apt to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That would work but my stove top has pathetic heat output so I don't think I really need a wok. I'd rather have a steel frying pan, I was just wondering if there was one with slighter higher sides to help keep me from making a mess with rice or veggies, as I'm sometimes apt to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=12954&categoryid=177

This is the best I can find
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top