Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2015 3:32:45 PM EDT
Title says it all....  I fire up the smoker at least weekly, and have been using a shitty wally world dial thermometer...

The beat on the street is that the Thermapen is the shit.  However, when browsing, I see it and the Thermapop, and a considerable price difference.

Can any of you guys with experience in using these thermometers sell me on a Thermapen over the Thermapop?  Not sure why there is a $75 difference in the two..

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Thermopop.  I loved the price even better.  I have no experience using a Thermopen.  Read up on the specs for both and then decide.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only used a thermapen, I love it.  ETA the only difference I see is the speed of the temp reading.  The pop takes twice as long to read.  I like to quickly check the meat temp and get the smoker closed asap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only used a thermapen, I love it.  ETA the only difference I see is the speed of the temp reading.  The pop takes twice as long to read.  I like to quickly check the meat temp and get the smoker closed asap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an older Thermapen.  Pretty good and very fast and accurate. That said, I also bought a Thermoworks DOT for the smoker and the oven. With the DOT, you don't have to open the smoker which is a good thing. I use the thermapen for other things as well since it is so accurate and fast.  The newest thermometers are wireless.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't compare the two but my Thermopen has been fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both and prefer the Thermopen it's faster and I like being able to angle the probe. I now want one of the new models
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the dot. For the price, it is nice not to have to open the lid check temp.
Thermopen reads 2-3 seconds faster than the Thermopop.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get the pop. It's cheap and works great, you're not some master chef where the additional second needed for a reading will mess up your food. It's plenty fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Thermopop, I can't see paying that much more for the pen when the pop reads temps in just a few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd recommend a wireless probe thermometer, or one that has a long wired probe you can stick in the meat and monitor temps from the display outside the grill/oven.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Very happy with my Thermapen Mk4.  I treated myself with it this year after a Pyrex (slow) digital finally failed.  The pyrex was the round style digital and took about 2-3 minutes to read the correct temperature.

So happy with it I ordered the Thermachef probe thermometer.

ETA the Thermowerks.com website usually has them on sale and was the cheapest place I found them.  **Chef-alarm not thermachef
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
After looking at all the options, I went with versatility:

I have the super-thin probes shown.

It also takes any type K thermocouple with a mini plug, as shown below. It serves all my needs that can be served with a single-sensor thermometer.

I love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top