Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 8:57:01 AM EDT
I want to get a new slicing knife.  My dad always used an electric knife for carving turkey and ham, but I'd like to get a regular knife to use this week.

Here is what I want: 12" knife to slice roasts, turkeys, hams, break down steaks, and other cuts.

From looking around, the  Victorinox (which are all my other knives) 12" Slicing Knife seems to fit.  The only problem is I'm not sure how useful it would be to break down steaks.
Would a 12" cimeter be an acceptable choice for slicing?

Are Granton edges worth the extra expense? I love the Granton edge on santuko knife, but have never used it on a larger one before.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the Forschner 12" scimitar Granton edge. Awesome knife. If I heard a bump in the night that is what I grabbed. It was too big for breaking down ribeyes and strips. It did come in handy for whole sirloin, once. I loved that knife, and really wanted to put it to use. It was just to damned big. I eventually gave it to a friend that had a barbeque restaurant. Due to the fact it had a wooden handle it was sketchy for sanitation reasons. We used it at competitions for breaking sides of ribs. The cleaver I gave him was better for that though. Get yourself the slicer. Granton edge may be worth it, I can't honestly say just yet. I have several knives with it, I just haven't used and sharpened them enough for it to come into play.  I suspect they will function well. They should have the benefits of serrations while being easier to resharpen.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought the Forschner 12" scimitar Granton edge. Awesome knife. If I heard a bump in the night that is what I grabbed. It was too big for breaking down ribeyes and strips. It did come in handy for whole sirloin, once. I loved that knife, and really wanted to put it to use. It was just to damned big. I eventually gave it to a friend that had a barbeque restaurant. Due to the fact it had a wooden handle it was sketchy for sanitation reasons. We used it at competitions for breaking sides of ribs. The cleaver I gave him was better for that though. Get yourself the slicer. Gratton edge may be worth it, I can't honestly say just yet. I have several knives with it, I just haven't used and sharpened them enough for it to come into play.  I suspect they will function well. They should have the benefits of serrations while being easier to resharpen.
View Quote

Would a 10" knife be long enough though? I understand the 12" is a big knife, but I assumed it would still be useful for smaller tasks.
Was it too unmanagable?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly, I really liked the scimitar shape. I really loved the knife, I could have gotten a kydex sheath made and used it for a melee weapon for beheading zombies I guess. There is a huge difference in the practicality between a 10" and a 12" inch knife. If I still had my connection to get them at wholesale I would get both. I really regret giving it away. Especially since he closed his restaurant since then.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 14" cimeter by Victorinox for working on large hunks of meat (we dry age our own prime ribs and strips) and I picked up a sheath made for it.  I slice everything with a 10" chef knife.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try one of those old hickory knives by Ontario knife works. They're really cheap and people speak highly of them

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top