Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 6:20:20 PM EDT
I'd like to make pickled peppers and other stuff.  What are the tricks to this?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just look up recipes for them.
Just look out you don't make something for refrigerator that you thought was for basement shelf storage.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Mrs. Symptoms says: "Boil the water you're going to use in it. You can pickle anything in it: eggs, beets, cucumbers(pickles), cauliflower w/ peppers & stuff, turnips.

If it's hot it'll pickle faster than if it's cold. It'll keep for a couple of weeks if unadulterated by fingers, etc. Always use a clean fork."

Formula is 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup vinegar per quart of, say, pickles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I make pickled jalapenos from the garden every year to use on pizza, grilled cheese, nachos, and Mexican dishes. I cut the jalapenos into disks, boil distilled vinegar (no water), and can. Pretty simple and easy, and they come out great. I've tried making pickles, but have not found a recipe I like more than store bought.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I stumbled across this thread earlier this year and made a bunch of pickles with cucumbers from the garden. I think someone posted a dilly bean recipe in this thread too.

Experimenting is fun-the first batch was way too salty-I'm not sure if I screwed up or if they just needed more time. Second batch I cut the salt in half and liked those better.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/621695_Best_Dill_Pickles_______BozemanMT___your_input_is_needed_requested_.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stumbled across this thread earlier this year and made a bunch of pickles with cucumbers from the garden. I think someone posted a dilly bean recipe in this thread too.

Experimenting is fun-the first batch was way too salty-I'm not sure if I screwed up or if they just needed more time. Second batch I cut the salt in half and liked those better.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/621695_Best_Dill_Pickles_______BozemanMT___your_input_is_needed_requested_.html
View Quote

These are the best pickles you will eat homemade.  The brine is good for various things.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Use Pickle Crisp. It can go in any recipe you use, and it really makes a noticeable difference in the crunchiness of the pickled item.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like to make pickled peppers and other stuff.  What are the tricks to this?
View Quote

If other stuff includes lacto fermented then use enough salt, going low sodium is really tricky and you can always mellow it out when it's done.

Oh, and leave headspace, keep everything under the liquid, and leave it alone and just let it do its thing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I use this to make sauerkraut

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top