Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2015 12:47:48 PM EDT
Was at the store today and they had some leg of lamb that I'm thinking of trying.
The tag on it just said to roast until a certain temp.
Does it usually turn out good, or am I wasting money?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be very good.  Domestic lamb leg is the way to go, better than NZ imho.  I like to cut peeled garlic cloves into halves then  stud the leg.  Fresh Rosemary is a an excellent herb that compliments , then a mixture of salt and pepper over the leg.

I like to start it in a moderately hot (400) oven for about ten minutes turning it so that you can get a bit of a crust, it also seals the meat and prevents moisture in the leg from "leaking" out.  Then I drop the temp. to 275-300 and continue to cook until the internal temp is 130-135, it will kick up another 5-8 degrees once you've taken it out of the oven to finish at a nice medium rare.

Some people advocate putting the lamb back into a hot oven (500) after it's rested for about 30 minutes for a period of 10-15 minutes to fully crisp up the outside.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Leg of lamb is good stuff!

Be sure to mix some mint jelly and plain Greek yogurt together as a dipping sauce.

You van also make a gravy from the drippings.

I like to add raisins and pineapple chunks to the gravy to add a little sweet and sour bump to it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I would only cook over coals but I'm sure a oven will work fine.   Be aware that some folks don't for the taste of lamb.  I would do the salt pepper rosemary thing.  I don't care for the mint jelly but it is a old standard.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm am of Greek heritage and lamb is pretty much a Greek staple.

Lamb can be very "gamey" if not prepared correctly. This is one meat that I strongly suggest you cook to at least medium if not well done. I've fed lamb to a lot of first timers and can tell you, almost nobody likes it medium rare even though that's what all the cook books recommend. The few who did seem to like it that way still liked it better closer to well done.

The way I prepare it is, take a handful or so of garlic cloves and slice them length wise about 1/4" thick. Then take a pairing knife and poke a number of holes/slits in the meat (pointed end of knife straight in, ~2" deep) and then slide one of those garlic slices into each slit/hole. Then make a 50/50 mix of olive oil and lemon juice and coat the meat with it. Season with salt, fresh cracked pepper, oregano and some garlic powder. I usually try to do all this the night before and wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge over night. I start cooking at 425deg for the first 20-30 minutes to help develop an outer crust and then drop down to 350 for the remainder of the cook. I aim for 160-165deg internal before I pull it, cover it and let it rest.

Quoted:
I would only cook over coals but I'm sure a oven will work fine.   Be aware that some folks don't for the taste of lamb.  I would do the salt pepper rosemary thing.  I don't care for the mint jelly but it is a old standard.
View Quote

If you have a rotisserie for your charcoal grill that is my favorite way to make it but it comes out fine in the oven. I know rosemary is often suggested herb to pair with Lamb but I personally don't care for it and never use it and I don't know anybody who eats mint jelly

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Dead easy.  Bake it in the oven at 350 F, look up time per lb on the internet. It's like steak in that it's better undercooked/rare than overcooked.

A good glaze for it is pomegranate syrup which is pomegranate juice reduced in a saucepan.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Roast leg of lamb is just about my favorite dinner.   We rub in olive oil, poke a few cloves of garlic into slits made in the meat.  We also rub a few sprigs of rosemary on the leg.  

Roast to med rare.   My dad always liked a bit of mint jelly to dip the meat into.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Another way to do it is to open it up (boneless) and roll it out (butterflied).

Olive oil/ lemon/ garlic and herbs... whatever you like really.

Grill it over very hot coals.  gets a nice crust and you don't cook it to death.

Greek here and I like mine rare.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Bone it, season, grill to sear, then in the oven to internal temp of 140*
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Traditional garnish for lamb are garlic, rosemary, and mint. Younger lamb is always preferred as older lamb becomes more gamey, which is why Mutton is a dish that takes an aquired taste. Also mutton required different cooking methods such a brasing or low and slow as one would cook a shoulder of beef.

Rub w/ olive oil chopped garlic and rosemary overnight:
Bone in and trussed-Season and sear outside  generously and place upon a rack of mirepoix and roast to internal of 115*F allow to rest 30 minutes prior to carving. Deglase pan w/ hearty red wine scrape roasting plaque to loosen bits and add 1-2 cups of water or stock. Strain and degrease simmer to reduce or lier. Season TT if making AuJus degrease again w/ paper towel strips laid on the surface.

Bone out one has serveal options. One can stuff w/ a farce of choice then truss or Lardon and truss then follow instuctions above.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
3-4 cloves of fresh garlic
2-3 sticks worth of rosemary leaves
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4-6 oz of red wine

Blend or food process those together, put in a container with one or two pieces of butterflied, boneless leg of lamb and marinate for a day or two.

Cook over hot coals until nicely charred, move to indirect and finish to desired temp(I won't go over MR, but your meat your rules.)

Slice and serve

Roast poatoes, rice pilaf and/or grilled vegetables go great with this. Or get some pita, chop some tomato/cuke/onion, and pile it on with tzatziki. This one is very good if you can find it

If not, it's not hard to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top