Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 9:04:36 AM EDT
Basically wanting to do a whole chicken vs a roast because I'm tired of roast.
Anyway, what kind of veggies?
Will the chicken make a greasy, goop sort of mess ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
May as well just boil it...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May as well just boil it...
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like horribly dry and overlooked chicken it's perfect.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a dutch oven, sear first, then leave it in the oven around 200-250 F. Celery and onions, maybe carrots.

I think the method is called en coccotte.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I see America's Test Kitchen has a report on how to make this work.

That might be worth trying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use a dutch oven, sear first, then leave it in the oven around 200-250 F. Celery and onions, maybe carrots.

I think the method is called en coccotte.

That's interesting. I see America's Test Kitchen has a report on how to make this work.

That might be worth trying.

That's it. I used the same recipe. Skin will be inedible after cooking, but you will  have a tasty bird.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
gonna go against the grain here. I use the crockpot to turn a whole chicken into shredded bbq chicken. night before-remove neck/gizzards etc if present. pat dry with paper towels. rub down well inside and out with rub of choice. put on a plate/platter and into fridge. day of-wake up in morning and get ready for work. just before leaving, take chicken out of fridge and place in crock pot set to low(no need to add anything, just put the bird in). plug it in, put the lid on and go to work. get home after work and debone the chicken(it'll be easy to do, just make sure you don't miss the small bones and throw the skin away). place meat into serving bowl and cover with some bbq sauce. shred chicken(using forks) and mix in bbq sauce. serve in manner of your choosing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
gonna go against the grain here. I use the crockpot to turn a whole chicken into shredded bbq chicken. night before-remove neck/gizzards etc if present. pat dry with paper towels. rub down well inside and out with rub of choice. put on a plate/platter and into fridge. day of-wake up in morning and get ready for work. just before leaving, take chicken out of fridge and place in crock pot set to low(no need to add anything, just put the bird in). plug it in, put the lid on and go to work. get home after work and debone the chicken(it'll be easy to do, just make sure you don't miss the small bones and throw the skin away). place meat into serving bowl and cover with some bbq sauce. shred chicken(using forks) and mix in bbq sauce. serve in manner of your choosing.
View Quote

You can't bbq a chicken. Not legally anyway
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

i'll have to respectfully disagree. the definition of bbq as a verb, while often vague, is generally agreed upon by most as cooking meat slowly over low heat(crock pot on low meets that definition). additionally, sometimes bbq is used as an adjective to describe meat served with certain types of sauce added. mixing the shredded chicken w/a bbq sauce meets that definition.

imo-to go further than the above and add qualifiers to each is an exercise in semantics
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
This works

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 large onion, cut in eighths
1 lemon, cut in quarters
1 (5 1/2 to 6 pound) whole chicken

Directions:

1.Mix paprika, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
2.Place 3/4 of the onion on bottom of slow cooker crock.
3.Rinse chicken and pat dry. Add remaining onion and lemon to chicken cavity.
4.Sprinkle all sides with seasoning mixture. Place chicken on top of onions in crock.
5.Cover slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Chicken is well done when meat temperature registers 165°F in the breast or 175°F-180°F in the thickest part of the thigh.
ETA: link
https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/slow-cooker-roasted-chicken.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

i'll have to respectfully disagree. the definition of bbq as a verb, while often vague, is generally agreed upon by most as cooking meat slowly over low heat(crock pot on low meets that definition). additionally, sometimes bbq is used as an adjective to describe meat served with certain types of sauce added. mixing the shredded chicken w/a bbq sauce meets that definition.

imo-to go further than the above and add qualifiers to each is an exercise in semantics
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Merriam Webster disagrees with you on the verb.  Ketchup on chicken doesn't make it bbq.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want to try something different try adding chicken breasts, legs wings in a crockpot and add 1 can of orange soda or even root beer and then let that cook for about 6 to 8 hours.  It's WONDERFUL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top