Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 2:57:03 PM EDT
Been cooking on electric stoves all my life.  In the process of installing my first gas (natural gas) cooktop.   Other than not leaving flammable shit too close to the burner, any other tips for a noob?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I always liked electric over gas, more even heat, though gas is a lot faster to get hot.

Yes, keep papers away from the flames

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Induction.  You get the instant on off, of a  gas burner but have the ability to heat up much faster.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always liked electric over gas, more even heat, though gas is a lot faster to get hot.

View Quote

Were you using thin pans?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Been cooking on gas forever.   Can't stand electric.   Turn on, wait 20 minutes to heat, burn food, turn off, wait 20 minutes to cool.   I fully admit it's because I don't use it enough but considering the drawbacks I have no idea why I would want to.

I like the fact that heat changes take place quickly with gas.  You do want to use pans that spread heat better with gas.  If you don't you can see hot-spots and burn things  in one part of the pan.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas is much more controllable and instant change in temperature.   Evenness is controlled by thick bottoms using layered metals.   I miss gas.

My frying pans are very uneven because the bottoms are paper thin and the handle causes the an to tip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Always been on Gas...couldn't imagine anything else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, for general cooking I prefer electric.

Yes, there is a delay in heating but who needs instant heat and doesn't know it until right when they need it? Use your noggin' and anticipate the need for heat and you'll be fine once you're accustomed to the electric controls.

The one thing that I cannot stand about gas is the fact that the sides of the pot/pan are heated as well as the bottom (because the hot air rises up around the sides). This tends to scorch and char the food splashes/residue on the side of the pot and there is absolutely no way around it.

IMHO, all of the downsides of electric can be worked around, but this one downside to gas has no realistic solution.

Most electric haters have never actually use an electric (especially ceramic top or induction) long enough to know how to use it and see its benefits.

I know this is a bit of a thread-jack, just figured I'd throw my $.02 in because everybody else was...

All that being said, gas heat has it's uses and I won't deny that it's possible to get a LOT more heat from gas burners (if you have the right burner setup). But that is easy to overcome if you have an electric cook-top.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no waiting for the burner to warm-up and it stops providing enough heat to cook when you turn it off.

Don't turn the burner up so high the flame goes around the base of the pot, you're just wasting gas if the flame has a larger diameter than the bottom of the pot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone.  I pulled out an old Jenn-Air with the solid iron eyes. That thing never heated up quick, and never got hot enough for bigger pans.  We do have the heavier clad Revere Wear pots we have been using for 26 years now. Maybe that's why I hated the old stove so much.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I moved from Electric to Gas last year.  Love it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Cooked on electric until I acquired my Vulcan restaurant stove.  Been using gas (propane) now for 20 years and NEVER want to return to electric.  6 burners with 20K BTU each - that's turnin' and burnin'  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]
10kW burner is 34,121 BTUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dxbMtrgms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top