Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Use day-old or older rice.

2) Get the wok forge-welding hot. I am not kidding.

3) Toss in some peanut oil. When it smokes, add in some ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so and pour onto a plate.

4) Add more oil, and toss in some beaten eggs. Stir them through until they are dry, and then pour out onto the plate.

5) Add more oil, and toss in your protein and cook until it's just underdone.

6) Add more oil, and toss in the rice.

7) Fry it hard, toss in some—this is most important—sesame oil, and fry for 30 seconds, and then add sherry and soy.

8) Stir until almost dry, and then toss back in all the previous ingredients, stir through, and shut off the blowtorch.

9) Eat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3) Toss in some peanut oil. When it smokes, add in some ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so and pour onto a plate.

4) Add more oil, and toss in some beaten eggs. Stir them through until they are dry, and then pour out onto the plate.

7) Fry it hard, toss in some—this is most important—sesame oil, and fry for 30 seconds, and then add sherry and soy.

8) Stir until almost dry, and then toss back in all the previous ingredients, stir through, and shut off the blowtorch.

9) Eat.
View Quote

Great write up. I use sherry in mine as well and it improves it greatly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
OST for fried rice goodness!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Love me some fried rice.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The smoky flavor known as Hei is hard to do without having a commercial setup but you can get close.

Our favorite cook at a take out place is is this little woman about twenty- five years old. She always seems to get a decent char on the lo mein and is literally flipping the food through the edge of the fire at the back of the wok. It's much better the way she does it than the other guys because she's doing it right.

It's difficult to get that at home because it's harder to get that roll going where the food isn't cooling the surface of the wok as much and is at the fire with the oil atomizing and whatnot.

ETA: I wouldn't bother measuring the soy sauce but I would experiment with both light and dark Chinese and Thai versions and see what you prefer. The dark soy sauce is good for the sweet fried rice like they do up east, I put a lot of cabbage and pork in it. Good fish sauce and or a little stock is gonna give you more flavor and moisture too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
We add hoisin sauce to ours. I like to make sure the brand I buy is Peking-style, with some type of sweet potato in the ingredients.

Other than that, mine looks like everyone else's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
A Chinese friend of mine suggested heating a little minced garlic and ginger in the oil you use to fry the rice.

It has nothing to do with the smokey flavor in the OP but give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
When I make fried rice I take a few slices of bacon and cook em til done, remove bacon saute small diced onion, dump in cooked rice, crumble bacon add back to rice. That might give that smoky taste you speak of.

I will be trying some of these other suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Panda express has some awesome fried rice. Would love to make some at home that stays steamy and moist.  It always dries up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Use the same wok or pan for the eggs,meat and everything else. Do not clean it between ingredients.

1. Make rice if you don't have left over rice. Set it aside.

2. Fry/ scramble half of your eggs. Cooking them first prevents them from soaking up all the meat flavour. Set them aside.

3. Cook your vegetables, if using frozen peas and carrots skip this step. Set them aside.

3. Cook your meat, ensure its fully cook. Set it aside.

4. Toss rice back in pan, stir to soak up meat flavour. Add spic as necessary, stir .kikoman soy sauce,stir.  hot chillie oil, stir. Blanchan ( shrimp paste in oil) and stir. Cook till warm and very fragrant.

5. Beat there remaining eggs and pour into rice, constant mixing. This makes the rice moist and filling. Mix in frozen vegetables at this point, let it cook for a few mins on low/ medium heat.

6. Mix everything together, serve and enjoy.

Z, let me know if your in north Houston. I can make a batch for you

Edit. Hot chillie oil and Asian chillies make it that better. I like my spice
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The half fry half stir in egg trick is my mums. We are from Singapore. So it might be more Singaporean then Chinese
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I already mentioned that I have a Wok and got it ripping hot and that I know how to cook fried rice. What I might have messed up on is cooking the rice too long and dried it out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

9) Eat.

I already mentioned that I have a Wok and got it ripping hot and that I know how to cook fried rice. What I might have messed up on is cooking the rice too long and dried it out.

Well, you're clearly doing sum ting wong.

The smokey flavor comes from the extreme heat acting on the sesame oil, best I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 14" Pau Wok from the Wok Shop. It's properly broken in and non-stick. This ain't my first rodeo kids.
View Quote

Are you probably using a spreadsheet for your fried rice?

Txl
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to do something different.

Japanese Fried Rice for Omurice is interesting. You actually use ketchup instead of soy sauce.

The trick is to use Trader Joe's Ketchup, since it isn't as acidic. You actually cook the ketchup a bit on the wok/frying pan.

It's basically fried rice w/ tomato base stuffed into an omelette. It is fucking delicious with chicken fried rice.

This thread makes me sad, I just started a Keto diet today.

For regular fried rice, have you tried using ginger? Definitely makes it taste like PF Changs(not the frozen shit).

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The interesting thing is that a lot of the "genuine Chinese fried rice" recipes don't even list sesame oil as an ingredient, just straight soy sauce for seasoning. I usually use vegetable oil as the main fry-oil.

But like I said: I think I over-fried the rice, cooking it for several minutes on nuclear heat so you've definitely given me something to play around with for next time.
View Quote
Best of luck in sorting it out. Maybe ask the takeout place if you could watch them make your order and see exactly what might be their secret? If you are a regular, maybe they'd let you?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Use light soy, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Maybe a touch of pineapple juice.  Garlic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
What type of rice are you using?  I've had better success using basmati rice over anything else i've tried.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Dark and light soy is the key.  On the rice day old is also helpful, i always cook my rice right out the fridge, seems to keep it from drying out for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I sometimes use teraki and/ or golden mountain seasoning
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
i'll generally toss in a little hot bean paste with my protein, cause i like the taste
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I just go down the street to the local Diarrhea Dragon and order a container of pork fried rice. No muss no fuss.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The interesting thing is that a lot of the "genuine Chinese fried rice" recipes don't even list sesame oil as an ingredient, just straight soy sauce for seasoning. I usually use vegetable oil as the main fry-oil.

But like I said: I think I over-fried the rice, cooking it for several minutes on nuclear heat so you've definitely given me something to play around with for next time.
View Quote

I think sesame oil is better for the temperatures required. 99% of my oil usage is olive oil. For the highest temperature cooking I use sesame oil.

I don't even have any ordinary vegetable oil in my kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've made fried rice before but haven't First things first: I have a wok and a mega-BTU burner to get it insanely hot.

This fried rice has a "smoky" flavor.

View Quote

1. Blazing hot wok (or whatever you're using)

2. Not mushy rice (that's why a lot of people say "left over rice is best rice for fried rice)

3. Don't crowd your food when cooking it (don't over-fill your pan for your amount of ingredients. Let's the (wok) lose temp - you lose your nice smokey flavor you're 'burning into the food' flavor.

4. Don't over season.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Use the right rice type (don't use long grain)
Undercook the rice slightly
No sesame oil, use peanut oil because it allows you to get that pan as hot as possible without smoking/burning the oil.hot hot hot is key
Add MSG to the fried rice.
Try adding a small amount of fish/oyster sauce
Practice, practice and more practice <--most important, the guy who makes it at a restaurant has probably been at it for years.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#32]
The rice type won't change flavor but it will change texture and like some one mentioned, use leftover rice because its drier and will cook better up.

Spices you may use, garlic, shallots coriander but really you don't need much because you really want that stirfry burntness to come through. In my opinion seasonings are over used. MSG will make it pop and is traditional in Asian cooking and is natural.

Also the more you make it the better it will get, after a while you are going to be a pro, I guarantee it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm another that will lean on fish sauce more than soy sauce.  

That doesn't answer your sweet note though.  I'd try rice wine vinegar or rice wine/mirin  or sherry.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#35]
We are having a hibachi grill installed in our new house. Can't wait for fried rice nights on the patio!
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I forgot to mention stay away form rice grown in Texas or Louisiana especially if you're feeding it to children because of the arsenic content.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I forgot to mention stay away form rice grown in Texas or Louisiana especially if you're feeding it to children because of the arsenic content.
View Quote

Links?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
This is the flavor you are looking for trust me.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I watched another few videos of Chinese people making fried rice. In order to add saltiness, I added more soy sauce. Problem is that it can overwhelm with its flavor.

Guess what the Chinese people added? Salt. And for the sweetness? A little bit of sugar. Whodathunkit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm another that will lean on fish sauce more than soy sauce.  

That doesn't answer your sweet note though.  I'd try rice wine vinegar or rice wine/mirin  or sherry.

I watched another few videos of Chinese people making fried rice. In order to add saltiness, I added more soy sauce. Problem is that it can overwhelm with its flavor.

Guess what the Chinese people added? Salt. And for the sweetness? A little bit of sugar. Whodathunkit.

Ah Chef Obvious strikes again!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Fried rice is the next thing I want to master.  I can never get it smoky and it always ends up mushy.  I"m going to cook some rice tonight and then fry it up tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Fried rice is the next thing I want to master.  I can never get it smoky and it always ends up mushy.  I"m going to cook some rice tonight and then fry it up tomorrow night.
View Quote

It's not hard to master. Extremely hot cooking surface, left over rice, don't over fill the cooking apparatus (that's where you lose heat - lose that and lose that smoky flavor) and don't add so much sauce you have more sauce than rice ;)

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Links?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Fish sauce.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#45]
NOm NOm nOm.  I have a flat top grill I want to try this on.  Or maybe a 15" iron skillet?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Golden Mountain Sauce and a bit of Ketchup.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Indonesian fried rice

cooked rice that is several days old and that seperates easily into individual grains
shallots
garlic
chinese sausage cut into fingertip size pieces
shrimp cut up into fingertip size pieces
oyster sauce
L&P Worcestershire sauce
Indonesian Katsup
Fish sauce
fried red onion
green onion
eggs
white pepper

Scramble and cook eggs in oil, remove from wok

thinly slice shallots and garlic and cook in oil

add chinese sausage and cook, then add shrimp and cook

toss in rice

toss scrambled eggs back in

Add in descending quantities
oyster sauce (maybe several tablespoons)
ketchup (maybe 1-2 tablespoons)
worchestershire sauce (maybe 1 tablespoon or less)
fish sauce (maybe a teaspoon or so...this is strong stuff)
white pepper (probably more than I would be inclined to put...it adds a ton of unique flavor)

Mix everything throughly and add thinly sliced green oinions.

Served with fried red onions on top

Sorry for the quanity-less directions but my wife doesn't measure anything but I suspect that folks who cook alot can probably use their experience to get pretty close on the first try.  Anytime she makes this and takes it to work, her co-workers all rave and ask her to bring it again.  Probably half the items will require a trip to an Asian market but again, folks who cook alot may already have some of these on hand.  This rice does not come out crispy but rather more on the mushy side, like Thai fried rice.

Here's a snapshot of the Asian market ingredients:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top