Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 9:20:57 AM EDT
Alright,
So I usually marinade/brine my chops with cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, spices, etc.  I'm brining a batch today, but realized I'm out of cider vinegar.  Would white vinegar work?  Maybe add applesauce?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The molecules of almost all those things are too large to penetrate meat in the time you have. Salt will penetrate, though. Salt it, or soak it in a 3 percent brine (that is, weigh the meat and water in grams and add 30 grams of salt for each 1000 grams of meat/water), and give it 24 hours to equalize the salt throughout the meat.

Add the rest of the stuff as a rub before you cook the meat, as it's just a surface treatment anyway. Surface treatments make a difference, too, but deep salt penetration makes a pork loin succulent, rather than dry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top