Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2015 11:02:17 AM EDT
Starting to cook better for me and the family and that means veggies. I can cook some, but it is limited and would get boring quick.

I am not sticking to one certain diet plan, Paleo keto primal, etc, at this point. I am not going to turn down the recipes for those diets though.

Let me see what you got!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Roasted Asparagus with Browned Butter and Balsamic sauce.

Toss the asparagus with a little oil, salt, and black pepper. Lay out in one layer on a baking sheet, roast at 400 degrees until beginning to brown. Anywhere from 8 to 14 minutes, based on thickness.
For the sauce, melt half a stick of butter in a saute pan, and whisk constantly at low to medium heat until it turns brown. Remove from the heat, and whisk in balsamic vinegar and a little soy sauce. Ratios are up to your pallet. Bonus points for emulsifying the sauce with soy lecithin.

Simmered Brussels Sprouts with Lemon/Dijon sauce.

Put chicken stock, garlic, shallots, and onion powder in a sauce pot, season with salt and pepper. Add sprouts and simmer until tender.
Once they're tender, scoop them out and crank up the heat. Add dijon mustard and lemon juice to the cooking liquid and whisk. Boil to reduce, then pour over the sprouts. Optionally, a corn starch slurry can be used to thicken the sauce.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
In a large non-stick pan;

- place one pat of butter, one tablespoon of olive oil

- empty entire bag of baby spinach

- cook on low for 5 minutes, folding over frequently, add pepper and/or diced garlic

- turn off heat when the stems are a bit crisp still but all the leaves have wilted

-----------

Cut one head of cauliflower into large-ish chunks.

Oil the inside of a ziploc bag with olive oil, salt and pepper (coat the inside)

Place cauliflower chunks in the bag and toss to coat

(the point of this is get oil on the outside of the flourettes without soaking it in oil)

Grill on low or bake on cookie sheet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Okra, Baked (but tastes like fried)

From: http://www.bestyummyrecipes.com/crunchy-baked-okra/

1 lb fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch slices

1 c. yellow cornmeal

½ c. panko bread crumbs

1 tsp. kosher salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

¼ tsp. ground red pepper

½ c. fat free buttermilk

1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 450*. Combine cornmeal, panko bread crumbs, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.

Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add okra to buttermilk mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 3 minutes.

Dredge okra in cornmeal/crumb mixture. Place okra on a baking sheet/pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle a little salt over the okra. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once, until okra is golden brown and crispy.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I like green beans pretty well and I have found this is a pretty quick, simple way to make them a little different to not get as mundane.

Cook a bunch of green beans how ever you want(boil, steam, microwave, I steam them) to your desired doneness. Right towards the end, grab a nonstick pan and melt a pad of butter in the pan. Add some minced garlic(i use the pre-minced stuff in the glass jars because it is quick and easy for small amounts) and let it cook in the butter for a little bit til it smells good. Add the green beans and toss them in the butter garlic mixture to get everything coated. Add a pinch of salt and toss again and you are done.

Its a good way to make a bunch at once for lunches for the week. Reheats pretty well as long as you don't cook the beans to mush.

If you like sweet potatoes, I cube up a bunch of sweet taters and toss them in some olive oil(or bacon fat) add some salt, garlic and onion powder and toss again. Stick it in the oven at 350 for about an hour and a half(or until down to your likeness) pull out and toss it again to recoat everything and you can either serve it as is or sometimes I pull the pan out and stick it over my gas burner at full tilt and stir and toss the cubes until they brown/crisp up. I have been doctoring this up lately with bacon bit and sauteed onions and pepper. Once in a while when it get a little old, you can throw in a couple spoon fulls of brown sugar to make it a little more sweet and bad for you lol.

Wish I had a recipe for you but I am still just messing with things to see what I like best. Pretty filling and seems pretty solid as a semi nutritional side/meal as long as you don't go crazy on the bacon/bacon fat/ sugar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Cook w/ duck fat-really.

Simple saute: Olive oil/fat of choice, chopped shallot, fry until just turning brown, add chopped garlic, toss, add veggies, saute' several minutes, add fresh herbs (chopped oregano, thyme, basil) splash of white wine, season w/S&P, toss add whole butter on end (optional) serve.

Garlic potatoes:
wash and 1/4 red potatoes, par boil in salted water until slightly fork tender. While that is going chop 3 cloves of garlic, 2-3 tablespoons of oliveoil and butter, fry garlic, add chopped rosemary toss and set aside in large bowl add chopped parsley. Transfer potates to bowl toss then transfere to sheet pan under the broiler on high, or 450*F oven and cook until brown.

Acorn squash-Cut in 1/2 seed and fill cavity w/ butter brown sugar and cinnamon bake 350*F until centers are fork tender.

Spagetti Squash-Split in 1/2, seed, season cavity w/ S&P, invert onto sheet pan or roasting dish cook in preheated 350*F oven until fork tender. Remove from oven, flip and allow to cool. Using a fork scrape/shred the squash into a bowl. in saute pan add olive oil , add 1-2 cloves chopped garlic fry unitl just brown, add a handfull of squash, saute for several minutes, add white wine (1oz), and sqqeeze of lemon toss until mostly evaporated, S&P, and whole butter on the end-serve.

Fresh spinach- Saute' chopped garlic and shallots, add spinach as much as the pan will hold, stir around a bit, toss, add white wine, lemon juice, S&P, whole butter on the end.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Loaded Cauliflower

I use full fat bacon in that one, not turkey bacon.

Spinach Dip--but good enough to be a nice side dish

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

I always leave the panko/breadcrumbs off that one, and I ALWAYS add bacon bits.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Loaded Cauliflower

View Quote

I made this last night and it was delicious.  In fact, I'm eating the leftovers for lunch right now.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I made this last night and it was delicious.  In fact, I'm eating the leftovers for lunch right now.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loaded Cauliflower

Is it not fabulous?  I've made it using Broccoflower too and other than it being "green" it's still quite tasty.
People wonder how I stay on Atkins.  Any diet where I can eat Ribeyes and this sort of veggie is the diet for me!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Grilled Veggies

Tomatoes
Carrots
Zuchini
Onions
Mushrooms

All Cut to size then toss with a small bit of oil.  Then add Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Then Grill in a grill Basket or grill WOK.  Easy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Zucchini Boats.  They are one of my new favorites to eat as a side dish.

Boats
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ratatoullie.  It's so good, and easy to make.  You just sautee vegetables in a certain order.

I don't want to transcribe my recipe because I am lazy, so here is Emeril's recipe.  All his recipes seem to be awesome:

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump for more...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
1 potato - diced
1 can of corn - mostly drained
1/2 onion - diced
1 clove of garlic - minced
salt/pepper
a little cayenne

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Fresh corn on the cob, un-shucked.  Peel back husks but leave attached at bottom, remove silks.  Put husks back in place to cover ear.  Soak whole ears in water for a half hour or so, then shake off excess water and throw on hot grill.  Grill until kernels are ever-so-slightly scorched.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm a big fan of grilling tomato halves on the BBQ grill. I start them flat side down (after oiling them with olive oil) then turning them flat side up and covering in bleu cheese.

When they're done, I put some top-shelf balsamic over them.

I also like to switch off mozzarella and fresh basil on them occasionally.

My other favorite is grilled eggplant. Sliced longwise about 1/2" thick, soaked with olive oil and grilled on the BBQ. Fresh oregano and pink salt to finish.

Been playing with BBQ'd peach halves, but haven't refined them yet.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Cut florets off the crown of a few bunches of broccoli. Lay them out on a sheet pan, or cookie sheet. Little hit of olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Mix that around, and make sure they all lay evenly afterwards. Roast that in the oven for 20 minutes @ 400 degrees, and most people will love broccoli.

To elevate, Add in a few shakes of red pepper flakes, and a hit of fresh lemon juice, and this will get rave reviews from kids, friends and relatives.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I made ratatouille tonight for the first time. I read a few recipes, then decided what I wanted to keep, for what I wanted to make.  

Preheat oven to 400.

I started with 1/2 each maui and red onion, sliced thin on the mandolin. Those in a sautee pan with about 2T good olive oil. Salt and pepper. Meanwhile, I was getting a bunch of garlic cloves ready for two different dishes. Then cleaned and finely sliced 4 roma tomatoes. Two tomatoes, and about two tablespoons of fresh garlic in with the caramelized onions. I put the other two finely sliced tomatoes in the bottom of the glass cooking dish. Generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top of the raw tomatoes. . Then the onion mixture on top of that, then another generous shake of Parm.

Mushrooms next. 1# of Creminis, stems removed, cleaned and sliced thin in the same pan with about another T of olive oil. Garlic salt and pepper. Turn that brown, and then hit it with a bit of red wine. Reduce to dry again, and add over the dish evenly.  Salt and pepper!

Top with thin slices of red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant in a pretty spiral, Make a pattern and be creative, working outside in. I don't like eggplant that much so it was pretty sparse. Drizzle olive oil over the beautiful top, another large helping of parm, and hit it hard with sale and pepper. then  throw it into the oven for 30-40 minutes.

Kids that don't eat veggi's KILLED this one.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Going vegie can actually be just as tasty as non vegie, just don't make the mistake of trying to replicate meat dishes as veggie version, vegie is all its own:

Chilean tomato and onion salad with French bread... Super simple but very good. IM me if u want the directions

Lentil w/corn soup. and buttered French bread bread

Loma Linda foods canned burger sliced and cooked in tomato sauce with rice and salad seasoned with lemon, salt, olive oil.

Canned salmon with onions seasoned with lemon, salt olive oil eaten with sliced French bread.

Good side: cabbage sauteed in pan with pepper, butter, salt.

Cauliflower drizzled with olive oil then roasted in oven until tender

Battered cauliflower then deep fried (mock fried fish)

I'm me for any recipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top