Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 4:45:15 AM EDT
Never thought I'd buy one, but I did. Came in a couple of days ago from Amazon, for $30 I figured it was worth a shot. Picked up a clearance-bin NY Strip that evening and tossed it into the grill today and WOW... it turned out WAY better than I had expected.

Now I've got frozen hamburger patties (sacrilege, but they work for busy days) and some thin-sliced chicken breasts for it.

I need more ideas! Especially for beef. I think I'll pick up some skirt steak tomorrow and see how it works for fajitas Tilapia, salmon or some other kind of fish? Maybe fish tacos? Pork tenderloins? More steak?

I imagine that draining the juice can result in some dry food in some cases.

Throw some ideas at me, I already love this thing! Between it, my new Nutri-Ninja and a crock pot, I can make a crapton of food with a lot less effort than before...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That sumbitch also makes a great sandwich press. Don't forget pork chops and sausages too.

For a real drunken treat I used to take a bratwurst, cook it on the Foreman, roll it in a tortilla with cheese, then finish by cooking the whole wrap in the Foreman.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Bratwurst but it really goes to my legs
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I love boudin sausage, the GF grill does a great job on boudin. It's also a quick and easy way to make hot dogs, brats, etc. I've got a bunch of breakfast sausage from wild hogs, gonna try cooking some of that on the GF tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That sumbitch also makes a great sandwich press. Don't forget pork chops and sausages too.

For a real drunken treat I used to take a bratwurst, cook it on the Foreman, roll it in a tortilla with cheese, then finish by cooking the whole wrap in the Foreman.
View Quote
Sandwiches.  Yes.  Excellent for that.

I got rid of mine because of lack of space in my new place. (My parents are using it now.)

But, if you like hot sandwiches at all the thing will make you very happy.

I found it made meat too dry in a lot of cases so I stopped using it for that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, I'm looking forward to some grilled cheese... I miss the old sandwich press my mom had when I was a kid. Maybe this will bring back some memories.

For sausage, I'm assuming you're talking about both cooked and uncooked varieties? Anything special to do when cooking raw sausage? Turning or something?

I didn't even think about hot dogs, that'll be way better than microwaving them
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice, I'm looking forward to some grilled cheese... I miss the old sandwich press my mom had when I was a kid. Maybe this will bring back some memories.

For sausage, I'm assuming you're talking about both cooked and uncooked varieties? Anything special to do when cooking raw sausage? Turning or something?

I didn't even think about hot dogs, that'll be way better than microwaving them
View Quote

The only sausage I've cooked on the GF have been cased sausage. I've got some ground sausage thawing that I plan to cook today. Shouldn't be a problem, we cook burgers on it once I a while.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It does not work for pancakes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to toss chix breasts, burgers, hot dogs, ect on them frozen, worked ok. Works good as a panni press. Grilled zuccini and squash too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I used to toss chix breasts, burgers, hot dogs, ect on them frozen, worked ok. Works good as a panni press. Grilled zuccini and squash too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm thinking eggplant too...

Quoted:

Really? Whoulda thunk it?

Although I'd imagine you could get it to work if you propped up the front so it didn't drain into the drip pan...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Although I'd imagine you could get it to work if you propped up the front so it didn't drain into the drip pan...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife tried pancakes in it once. Once.  It was a mess.

I love her to death, but she cooks about as well as I shit gold bricks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
best goddamned sports figure sponsored market item since isotoner gloves......

and fuck those gloves!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Slap some Foreman meat on it...

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Makes a good burrito.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Cuban sandwiches

But use swiss cheese, not provelone.  AB always seems to make some kind of substitution or weird method to put his stamp on things.

When I do chicken, I pound them thin between waxpaper instead of slicing them thin.  Tends to be more equal.  With practice you can tell what size/weight will take 2.5 minutes - 5 minutes to grill.

I've done salmon fillets.  But don't preheat it for that.  What I do is put the fillet in the grill, close it, and then plug it in.  3 minutes and let it rest for 5.  Salmon's delicate and easy to overcook.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had on of the cheap basic ones for 10+/- years.

Keep it at the shop for those nites that I work late, or get stuck on arfcom.

It's great for hot sausages, hot dogs, burgers, chicken breasts, pork chops,

basically anything that goes on a grill.

And it cooks FAST, because it is cooking from both sides at the same time.

I used to have a small gas grill, but that is now history. Replaced by the GF grill.

Basically, throw on a thick pork chop, a couple of potatoes in the microwave for 5 min,

then some frozen veges in a tupperware bowl go in for 1 min 45 sec, take the veges out,

potatoes go back in for 1 min, the pork is done - a nice dinner is done in 8 mins.

And be careful, its really easy to overcook stuff. The GF grill is really efficient.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I thick slice onions when doing a burger with it and grill the onions.

Basically any flat meat will work well with it, as mentioned above: burgers, pork chops, steaks, etc

Mines the removeable plate grill like this http://www.georgeforemancooking.com/products/removable-plate-grills/grp0004r-the-next-grilleration-red-grill-medium-grill-indoor-grill.aspx

The smaller fixed plate grills are well, smaller and limiting.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine is a 4-serving with removable plates... they're well worth it so far, just pop them off and run them through the washer.

You guys rock with the suggestions. I cooked some thing-sliced chicken breast tonight; I'm paranoid about chicken so I tend to overcook it but it turned out great. I also got a big eggplant and cut some thick slices with salt and pepper and they were cooked perfectly

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag.

I bought a new one (had the original one when I was still apartment bound) recently. I'd been grilling up a bunch of Chicken, and then reheating, I figured I'd like it better fresh.

Same one (likely) the OP has. 4 serving, removable plates. I like that feature a LOT, cleaning the old one was a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cuban sandwiches

View Quote

Damn straight! Soft Cuban bread from Publix, sliced ham, swiss, sliced roasted pork tenderloin, dill pickles, mustard. When sammich is all toasty crunchy open it up and give it a dash of mojo criollo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Bacon.

Holds it flat, drains the grease.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#21]
After another week of using it, I don't know how I would get along without it. I've cooked burgers, two more steaks, chicken and eggplant in it now. I have some bacon that I'll try soon. Tomorrow I'll be cooking brats.

Do you guys butterfly the brats or just cook them as-is? If so, how long do you cook them?

Also, any more ideas for sides? Eggplant works GREAT with a little oil, salt and pepper. I'm thinking asparagus would work well, but last time I went to the store they didn't have any.

Need to try using it as a sandwich press too.

The best news is that I'm already down a couple of pounds since I haven't been eating fast food like crazy (par for the course for me). It's cheaper to grab a bargain-bin steak and a side than to go to Sonic
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After another week of using it, I don't know how I would get along without it. I've cooked burgers, two more steaks, chicken and eggplant in it now. I have some bacon that I'll try soon. Tomorrow I'll be cooking brats.

Do you guys butterfly the brats or just cook them as-is? If so, how long do you cook them?

Also, any more ideas for sides? Eggplant works GREAT with a little oil, salt and pepper. I'm thinking asparagus would work well, but last time I went to the store they didn't have any.

Need to try using it as a sandwich press too.

The best news is that I'm already down a couple of pounds since I haven't been eating fast food like crazy (par for the course for me). It's cheaper to grab a bargain-bin steak and a side than to go to Sonic
View Quote

I haven't had any luck cooking brats on my GF clone (Cuisinart)...they're too big around to cook thoroughly without burning the outside. I've tried lower heat, but it takes too long. And butterflying them would be horrible...why let the juice run out while cooking?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I haven't had any luck cooking brats on my GF clone (Cuisinart)...they're too big around to cook thoroughly without burning the outside. I've tried lower heat, but it takes too long. And butterflying them would be horrible...why let the juice run out while cooking?

View Quote
I tried it anyway.... it worked great. I had them for lunch AND dinner

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I just tried a brat, didn't work that well for me, didn't evenly heat it up and left a burn mark on the bottom
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I just tried a brat, didn't work that well for me, didn't evenly heat it up and left a burn mark on the bottom
View Quote
I butterflied mine as I mentioned and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. Cooked through and crispy.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:07:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I butterflied mine as I mentioned and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. Cooked through and crispy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup the grill is awesome to cook anything with the right temp...best thing to do is use olive oil OR better
yet, eat something plain and cheaper that will "improve" your life span off the grill... Oatmeal, blueberries etc... forget about
meal satisfaction and focus on the adrenaline dump you will get when you bust your ass on whatever suits your
choice at the gym!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The benefit of the grill is that it makes me more enthusiastic about eating something at home rather than blowing money on fast food.

I've been going to the gym since April of last year but I've never had an adrenaline rush there. I just want to go home
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#28]
the grill is great, I got one, but most of my grilling is outdoors with a Weber Q.  Just grilled some chicken quarters today.

If just making a burger or two it's faster than the whole Weber grilling regime.  It's also good if it's raining outside and you want to grill something as well.

My Georgie cleans up nicely, just wipe the grease off with paper towels while it's still warm
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I use mine at least once a week - all the things already mentioned: pork chops, chicken breasts, fajitas.

Also makes mean blackened tilapia filets.

Being in Texas it also doubles as a great quesadilla maker.  

I've never tried sausages but after hearing your success story I may give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top