Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2015 6:31:08 AM EDT
Looking at a 32" electric masterbuilt, 200 bucks at Lowes.  G2G?  

How is the company, customer service good?

Also looking at how people smoke briskets, ribs etc it looks intimidating.  

Any words of wisdom for a hopefully soon to be smoker owner?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Electric? GTFO.....

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

View Quote

I use a charcoal grill and love it.

However if I ever do long smokes like brisket, babysitting fuel all day does not appeal to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

However if I ever do long smokes like brisket, babysitting fuel all day does not appeal to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

I have an electric masterbuilt 30 also, it does the job but dont expect a smoke ring because it wont have one but its almost foolproof to use and will smoke some really good meats. My best advice to give is skip the 30 and go with the 40 inch, that is my ONLY regret about that smoker
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

In. Same here.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In. Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

In. Same here.

In the Weber Smoky Mountain, there is no babysitting. I have easily done 14+ hours locked in at 225 with no issues.

ETA: The Arfcom of the WSM world
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In the Weber Smoky Mountain, there is no babysitting. I have easily done 14+ hours locked in at 225 with no issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

In. Same here.

A well-built UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) can do the same...

Stir coals a few times and check the meat and other than that it will hold a very steady temp for hours & hours...

If I were at all worried about "baby sitting" fuel all day a simple fix is to throw on a PID controller connected to a fan that feeds air to the fire...
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
No babysitting a fire.  Use good lump charcoal and it will maintain itself.

No problem going 12+ hrs in a UDS or WSM.  I can go 24 hrs in a BGE at 225, and have even made it to 30hrs just to see how long it would run.

A temp controller is insurance that the fire doesn't go out.  I'm a dealer for all of them, but the favorite is the Pitmaster 110.  It's the simplest and cheapest.  The Flameboss 200 Wifi, is pretty cool as well.  I have that running right now on two pork butts in a Large BGE.  Will post the trend graph later at the completion of the cook.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Weber FTW

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric? GTFO.....

In. Same here.

Weber FTW

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking at a 32" electric masterbuilt, 200 bucks at Lowes.  G2G?  

How is the company, customer service good?

Also looking at how people smoke briskets, ribs etc it looks intimidating.  

Any words of wisdom for a hopefully soon to be smoker owner?
View Quote

I hate my 32" electric masterbuilt.  I've ruined more meat than I've eaten on it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No problem going 12+ hrs in a UDS or WSM.  I can go 24 hrs in a BGE at 225, and have even made it to 30hrs just to see how long it would run.

A temp controller is insurance that the fire doesn't go out.  I'm a dealer for all of them, but the favorite is the Pitmaster 110.  It's the simplest and cheapest.  The Flameboss 200 Wifi, is pretty cool as well.  I have that running right now on two pork butts in a Large BGE.  Will post the trend graph later at the completion of the cook.
View Quote

This...I can get my UDS to burn 18+hrs on a single load.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, depending on how the firebox is built it's easy to get more......insulate it and you can go 24+.

Here's the graph on my cook for the last 20 hrs.  Two 10# pork butts @ 225F in a Large BGE w/ lump charcoal, apple, & maple.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you see this thread?

Pork Butt in the smoker

Looks like their electric smokers are doing just fine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an electric smoker which I bought while living and working in my RV on a job down in San Antonio.

It was 'OK' but had it's faults. If it was cold outside, it wouldn't get hot enough to burn woodchips...and winter in San Antonio rarely is 'cold'. When I finished up the job...I gave that electric smoker away to a neighbor in the RV park.

A propane version would be preferable, and before the charcoal purists start howling, you can put lump charcoal in one to burn and impart that flavor.

At home I smoke on a 4 burner propane grill on which I use the right-most burner for heat  and to burn charcoal and wood chips, and the left side for whatever I'm smoking. I like indirect heat better for most stuff anyway. You won't be smoking cheese and fish successfully over direct heat charcoal fuled smokers.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Electric is fine now a days, but you cant get super low consistent with them and also the outside weather will play a huge factor. I went propane on mine with a 44" masterbuilt. Works pretty damn good but I need to fit the wood tray for chunks instead of chips. We have some cold winters that I still want to use it during so I had to avoid the bells and whistles that the electrics came with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Electric is fine now a days, but you cant get super low consistent with them and also the outside weather will play a huge factor. I went propane on mine with a 44" masterbuilt. Works pretty damn good but I need to fit the wood tray for chunks instead of chips. We have some cold winters that I still want to use it during so I had to avoid the bells and whistles that the electrics came with.
View Quote

Pellet Pro has just come out with a closed loop temperature control that maintains temp within 5 degrees.  Weather will always be a factor, but there are things you can do to defeat it.  If weather is your only variable, it is easy to manage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my 30" master built electric off of Amazon warehouse for little money <$150, smokes a pile of bluefish no problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
With a electric smoker, if you put in 1 chuck of charcoal in the smoke box you will have a
nice smoke ring. I have a masterbuilt smoker.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
My  bad I have a cookshack smoker.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My  bad I have a cookshack smoker.
View Quote

There is a huge difference in quality from your cook shack to a cheap one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain paired with a DigiQ is all you'll ever need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm giving my Masterbuilt smoker another try today. I have some thick pork loin chops I'm going to try smoking then throwing on the grill to get it up to temp, like a reverse sear.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#24]
a couple years ago I was in your shoes. wanted an electric smoker. started doing some internet research. long story short, I bought an 18.5 wsm. my only regret is not getting the 22.5. as posted before, http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ is a great resource
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with a Smoke Hollow wood pellet smoker from Sam's Club.  I've been extremely happy it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Electric? GTFO.....

Get an Akorn. Electric sux.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
This is the reverse flow monstrosity I built last winter from an old ammo can and a chopped down oil drum.
Works like a charm. The propane tank on the right is in the middle of being converted into a small grill.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought I had to have a stick burner side box, and got the Oklahoma Joes cheapie, and gave my WSM to my brother before I tried the OJ. Well, I kept trying and trying and modding the OJ, and it's a pita, requires mass quantities of charcoal and babysitting. I'm now waiting to get paid and getting the larger 22 WSM soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Oklahoma Joe is a stick burner you are going to cry using charcoal briquettes. It's a fuel hog. Wish you were local I would buy it off you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oklahoma Joe is a stick burner you are going to cry using charcoal briquettes. It's a fuel hog. Wish you were local I would buy it off you.
View Quote

Ha, I feel like an idiot, I guess I've got a lot to learn! I was burning sticks and charcoal. I've got a great source for good dry smoking woods, so I will try to burn sticks only. The OJ still has a marginal fit on the lid, I need to get th fire tape to try to seal. Man, I miss that WSM.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I got the self adhesive nomex for my Ok Joe Highland.  Adhesive didn't last on the firebox.  Have some new nomex and Rutland 2000 degree adhesive showing up later this week. With my tuning plates, I've got it running within 10 degrees from end to end.  But yes, charcoal hog.  Most of a big bag of Kingsford for a 9 hour cook.  I can run about 3 hours with the basket I made and not have to do anything for it to keep at 275 for that long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Man, I miss that WSM.
View Quote

Wal-Mart has been selling the 18.5 for $199 if any body is interested and if it's still in stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a ceramic kamado cooker and it kicks ass.  Buy once cry once.  I've done several 18-20 hour cooks without having to add fuel, adjust vents, ANYTHING...set and forget.  Still had wood leftover, too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a ceramic kamado cooker and it kicks ass.  Buy once cry once.  I've done several 18-20 hour cooks without having to add fuel, adjust vents, ANYTHING...set and forget.  Still had wood leftover, too.
View Quote

Just bought one myself and am loving it....Costco had the 24" BigJoe on sale for $1199, Reg $1599
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#35]
My electric masterbuilt smoker does a great job.  I think it's the 32" model from Lowes.  Meat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got the Smokin' It #2   It's insulated so cold weather is not a problem.  I've put out some great meat in this box.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I was pretty happy with my Bradley smoker.
Have you looked at pellet smokers? I just ordered a Traeger and think that's the way to go for hot smoking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a masterbuilt 30 with the cold smoker attachment and it does work good, I've turned out a lot of meat in it but these days it just gets used for fish and cheese and homemade sausage I just want to smoke and not cook yet, I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18 in and I love it the meat has a better flavor IMO, I can get 12 hour off one chimney of charcoal and it's just more satisfying tending a fir for me anyhow, The Masterbuilt is a good smoker and a great starter but if and once you get into this hobby you'll want something more.

Masterbuilt on the right with cold smoker attachment

Weber Smokey Mountian
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've got a masterbuilt 30 with the cold smoker attachment and it does work good, I've turned out a lot of meat in it but these days it just gets used for fish and cheese and homemade sausage I just want to smoke and not cook yet, I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18 in and I love it the meat has a better flavor IMO, I can get 12 hour off one chimney of charcoal and it's just more satisfying tending a fir for me anyhow, The Masterbuilt is a good smoker and a great starter but if and once you get into this hobby you'll want something more.

Masterbuilt on the right with cold smoker attachment
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jmoffatt/media/20150816_070551_zpsnqcw9fjm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/jmoffatt/20150816_070551_zpsnqcw9fjm.jpg</a>

Weber Smokey Mountian
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jmoffatt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/20151004_082543_zpsdvau51a9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/jmoffatt/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/20151004_082543_zpsdvau51a9.jpg</a>
View Quote

So I've had my masterbuilt for a few months and have only managed to do ribs 3 times.  They turned out really good, I used the 3-2-1 method.  My friend works at a Bob Evans butcher type place and is bringing over two racks this weekend.

I will look into the cold smoker attachment and will try to do more types of meat down the road.  Really liking it thus far, if I didn't buy this smoker and a weber performer deluxe this year I might have bought myself a BGE instead as a xmas present to myself.... but that will have to wait or the wife will kill me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]
A well-built UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) can do the same...

Stir coals a few times and check the meat and other than that it will hold a very steady temp for hours & hours...When I built my UDS I made a basket 16" across. It will cook for as long as needed to cook a brisket, a few butts, or a few turkeys. I NEVER stir the coals. Set it, and let it cook.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I am still using my Kettle lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top