Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2015 7:21:23 AM EDT
Something that doesn't take too much effort to prepare?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#1]
There ain't much cheap beef out there any more.  A few years ago I would have said skirt steak, but it got all trendy and now it costs about as much as ribeye.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The less expensive meats don't tend to the the easiest to prepare.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There ain't much cheap beef out there any more.  A few years ago I would have said skirt steak, but it got all trendy and now it costs about as much as ribeye.  
View Quote

I was going to mention skirt but appearantly I haven't looked at the price lately.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Chuck steak is pretty tasty if cooked right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Chuck steak in a pressure cooker.  Haha fuck my ass
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Beef Tongue and Beef cheeks are the bomb!

I prepare Tongue in the standard fashion by simmering in a covered pot with aromatics, peel and slice.Some folks do it in a slow cooker I don't I like the ability to pull it when I think it is done. When it is done in the slow cooker it is easier to shred though. I like this in tacos, stuffed in a nice roll, or just eaten plain w/ S&P and a brown sauce.

Beef cheeks-heavenly rich goodness overlooked by most people

I cook these like osso buco meaning in a lg rondou or roasting plaque I sear/brown meat, add mirepoix (carrot onion celery) & saute, deglase pan with 1-2 cups of a nice cabernet or similar, add tomator paste(optional), cover with cold water, add bay leaves orgeano/thyme/rosemary/ parsley stems, bring to simmer, cover and simmer low and slow until meat is fork tender. Strain juice, reserve meat and keep warm, discard mirepoix. In a sauce pan bring liquid to simmer, skim any foam/grease, and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.

Serve with reduced Jus and thank me later after you clean your pants.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep it a secret; Tri-tip!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Now skirt steak and flank steak is 'fajita meat'...and it's pricey.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Teeners just gotta teen, eh?

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Flanken cut ribs aka korean galbi/kalbi
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Even tongue has gotten expensive around here. A 3lb one goes for $15+ which is double from a few years ago. Shit is delicious though. I make tacos with it. Simmer til tender, shred with forks, then sauté with garlic and cumin and chiles and fill corn tortillas with it. Top with tomatillo salsa, diced onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
my favorite

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I like tri-tip too. A good sized roast is pretty affordable and lasts a long time. I'll cook it as a roast then refridgerate it and slice thin for sandwiches. Tri-tip french dip or steak sandwhich with sauted onion, peppers, and provalone? hhuuuuuunnnn That is good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to love the cheap Skirt Steak.  About the only way to have cheap beef is to butcher a whole cow and freezer wrap
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]

I've always liked using round steak (marinated) to make chicken fried steak.  Or, country-fried steak, depending on which side of the Mississippi you're on.

And sirloin tip, not as tender as the top sirloin, but still pretty good.  But I don't know that I've seen it sold in a store, it's just what we get when we butcher a beef.

Tongue--boy, I don't know, one day I'll get up the courage since they give that back to you, too.  I've seen where them tongues go when they're alive.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've always liked using round steak (marinated) to make chicken fried steak.  Or, country-fried steak, depending on which side of the Mississippi you're on.

And sirloin tip, not as tender as the top sirloin, but still pretty good.  But I don't know that I've seen it sold in a store, it's just what we get when we butcher a beef.

Tongue--boy, I don't know, one day I'll get up the courage since they give that back to you, too.  I've seen where them tongues go when they're alive.
View Quote

Lingua is phenomenal....but it ain't cheap anymore.

Best taco meat there is.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Skirt
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hanger steaks. Often referred to as the butchers cut because they would often keep them for themselves. I believe it is actually part of the diaphragm muscle where it attaches to the rib cage but I could be wrong.

One this is for sure it is extremely richly flavored and gender and typically a cheap cut. It's starting to become my favorite cut on the cow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Shanks are a great cut too. Not a lot of meat but many people enjoy the marrow, the jus produced is very rich. Osso Buco is a favorite way to prepare.

The club I last worked at began selling Hanger steaks, and so have many of the Restaurants as they try to keep beef on the menu.

Tongue is something one needs to warm up to. First try is before you try and prepare it. Once you prepare it do not eat it sliced but try to shred or as I do julienne it. It is butter soft and a ton of beef flavor. After acquiring a taste for it eating it sliced becomes easier. I guess it is like eating testicles. If you do not know where they came from and try it the meat is delicious. Once you know it is balls them... it is still good.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I just paid $16 per pound for marinated skirt steak last nite.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shanks are a great cut too. Not a lot of meat but many people enjoy the marrow, the jus produced is very rich. Osso Buco is a favorite way to prepare.

The club I last worked at began selling Hanger steaks, and so have many of the Restaurants as they try to keep beef on the menu.

Tongue is something one needs to warm up to. First try is before you try and prepare it. Once you prepare it do not eat it sliced but try to shred or as I do julienne it. It is butter soft and a ton of beef flavor. After acquiring a taste for it eating it sliced becomes easier. I guess it is like eating testicles. If you do not know where they came from and try it the meat is delicious. Once you know it is balls them... it is still good.
View Quote

That's the other thing around here, when we work the calves on castration day, all my friends that lend help want to cut them instead of banding so they can eat them some 'mountain oysters'.  None for me, thanks, maybe in a survival situation.  But it's tradition to many on a farm/ranch.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's the other thing around here, when we work the calves on castration day, all my friends that lend help want to cut them instead of banding so they can eat them some 'mountain oysters'.  None for me, thanks, maybe in a survival situation.  But it's tradition to many on a farm/ranch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went years and year not eating calf nuts....I figured I'd have sympathy pains when I bit into it. Then one time I was drunk enough that I tried one...they're great!!

When I lived in Idaho, we'd end up with 2 or 3  5 gallon buckets of balls.  I have a friend who owned a bar with a broasting machine. I'd buy a keg of beer and he'd broast the nutz and we'd have a big nut feed out in his beer garden. Horseshoes, mountain oysters and beer...hard to beat.

You really ought to buckaroo up and try them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just paid $16 per pound for marinated skirt steak last nite.  
View Quote

Buy flank steak and marinate it yourself. Not as tender as skirt, but a few $$ cheaper.

We like chuck roast, From smoking to slow cooking. Makes a great barbacoa.  Shredded in burritos , enchiladas, or tacos.

I'm probably in the minority saying this, but.................. We've been buying locally raised sheep when they hit the 120+ live weight , from small "hobby" farms. Getting great cuts and a good option when you consider what beef goes for.
We also split a whole cow with a few folks,  giving us better & fresher cuts of meat while saving money.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#24]
We have rib eye at $5.97/lb this week.  Most of the mentioned cuts tend to be higher than that.  They are very proud of the tri tip around here.  I was lucky to fill the freezer 6 months ago with it at $2.99/lb.  That just never happens.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

my favorite

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

my favorite

hey it sucks. too fatty and its not always easy to find. ( dudes shut up its the best keep it quiet!!! )

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Beef shoulder.

Its the only cut of beef I eat.  

about 5 bucks for two 6" slabs of meat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Am chef. And I know I am going to hate myself for doing this because the fucking price is going to skyrocket because ARFcom.

Beef Flaps/Flap Steak/Bavette.

Cheap, insanely easy to prepare and cook perfectly. It is mindblowingly tender and flavorful.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does that last sentence mean? Context.

OP. as mentioned tri tip. But even that is getting spendy at $8.99 a lb. Not too long ago it was 3.99
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hanger steaks. Often referred to as the butchers cut because they would often keep them for themselves. I believe it is actually part of the diaphragm muscle where it attaches to the rib cage but I could be wrong.

One this is for sure it is extremely richly flavored and gender and typically a cheap cut. It's starting to become my favorite cut on the cow.
View Quote

You beat me to it.  Texture of a skirt steak but the flavor of a filet  

They are not cheap anymore
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
chuck roast / pot roast / stew meat

Not really 'summer time' meals for me .... I prefer them in the winter  ~comfort food~

Above can be had for $2-3lb when on sale most anywhere USA.

Add some onions - taters - carrots and celery + whatever ... and you got a bunch of good eats
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Chuck roast / Pot roast on the smoker - cooked low and slow.  I can usually find these for around $3.00 / lb.

Rub with a good savory dry rub and wrap with bacon

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Beef shanks. These are the cheapest beef currently available in Seattle.

I pull them straight out of the freezer and toss them straight onto the lower grate of a 700-degree Kamado. Yes, fully frozen. Yes, onto the lower grate, which sears them hard before they thaw.

That gets them a really epic sear but leaves them frozen inside.

Then into a cast-iron pot with my patented Umami Nuclear Bomb (fish sauce, worshestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce), some sauted mushrooms, and a huge infusion of thyme and onions and garlic. After that cooks for 30 minutes, I toss in a bunch of wild rice.

I let that cook for a while, and it starts to dry out, but then releases a bunch of liquid, and especially a slick of really yummy fat, as shown below.

By then, the shanks are fork tender and mind-blowingly delicious, and the wild rice is essentially perfect . . .

This is amazing eats.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#33]
top round steak

I use a jaccard style tenderizer and go top to bottom, then left to right, then diagonally right to left then diagonally left to right. flip and repeat. I make multiple passes each direction moving it over so that the entire piece gets done before changing direction. then add seasoning on each side and cook in a pan/griddle on medium/high heat for about a minute or so on each side. serve with the side of your choice. quick and easy meal.

chuck steak/chuck roast

can either use a crock pot for slow cooking all day or pressure cooker for quicker cooking. either way, place a layer of veggies on the bottom, meat on top and add seasoning. when using a pressure cooker, set the cook time for 40min. when using a crock pot, use a lower setting for a firmer finish or high setting for a fall apart finish. since cookers vary in their heat cycles, adjust times to your liking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I know you said beef, but I make a lot of pork shoulder steaks.  They're pretty cheap.  I season them with McCormick steak seasoning and do the Alton Brown steak method.  Cheap, quick and easy way to get some decent meat on the table.  

I'm going to try the tri tips.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I buy ham steaks. Its a huge cut of ham for less than $5. It can feed me and the hubs for a few meals.
I like to grill it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.  

I love skirt and flank steak, but you can't get it for a decent price anymore.

I can't even buy beef (any beef) for less than the price of hamburger, makes no sense to grind my own.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No shit.  

I can't even buy beef (any beef) for less than the price of hamburger, makes no sense to grind my own.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  

I bought sirloins last week for less than the price of 70/30 ground beef in the same store.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I bought sirloins last week for less than the price of 70/30 ground beef in the same store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  

I buy at the commissary, I don't have a choice.  Ground beef (when I left for deployment) was $3.99/lb for 80/20 and the cheapest beef roast was $4.20/lb or so.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Go to the grocery store early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, buy meat that expires that day, usually 50% off and still good if you cook it that day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top