Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 8:34:47 PM EDT
Gave this a shot this evening after reading about it for awhile now.  I will never cook a steak any other way.  I started with three nice boneless ribeyes...

I gave them a generous dose of Alaea salt and granulated garlic and allowed them to warm to room temperature...

I got my Big Green Egg up to 250* and dropped a few small chunks of pecan on there before putting the steaks on with the plate setter for indirect heat.  Once they reached 110* internal I pulled them and put them under foil while I got the BGE up to 650*.  Once the BGE was ready I seared them for 60 seconds per side, dropped a pat of butter on them and foiled them for 10 minutes.

Best steak I've ever eaten.  No grey meat at all, she's nice and pink right up to the crust.

Finished dinner up with some grilled peaches.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it works great. I was skeptical at first but it really does give better results and is a lot easier.

I've tried it on burgers once, but it didn't seem to work quite as well, but I only have a sample size of one doing that, so far.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely, positively YES.

Next level......Sous Vide
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Best method by far, it just takes so damn long to even bother with.

I'll always do duck breast Sous Vide though.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Reverse sear is the only way to go for steaks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

I cooked some ribs a few months back.  36 hours Sous Vide to start, finished on the smoker/grill.

Amazing.  Friends I shared it with said they were the best ribs they'd ever had.  I've had better, but they were DAMN good.

More and more, restaurants are using this method of cooking. You will
need a vacuum seal system  for this recipe and a Sous Vide System.
Cooking time = the time the ribs will be in the controlled water bath of
138°F for 24-48 hours. In this recipe we "cooked" the ribs for 24
hours.
The ingredient amounts are approximate, with the exception of the
seasoning mix. Make as many ribs as you like. I fit 2 slabs, packed in
several sealed bags, in the Sous Vide. Use your favorite rib rub or make
a batch of  Sarasota's Pork Baby Back Ribs,  use your favorite BBQ sauce at grilling time.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I just did my first reverse sear steak last weekend to break in my new Weber EP-330 and yes, it does work very well. My only critic of using that method on a grill is the sear itself.

I don't care how hot you get the grill, if you are cooking on any type of a grate you will get pretty lines but you won't get great sear. A good sear isn't just about heat, it's about surface prep and direct contact to heated metal. Next time I do this on the grill, I will use a CI skillet to get that really nice crusty sear that I have come to love. Not as pretty but so much more tasty IMO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The meat surface needs to be dry to get a good sear on it. Blot the surface with a paper towel before putting on grill for the final sear.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The meat surface needs to be dry to get a good sear on it. Blot the surface with a paper towel before putting on grill for the final sear.
View Quote

I agree, that's what I was referring too when I mentioned "surface prep". What I do is, pat it dry, give it a good coating of Kosher Salt and stick it in the fridge on a wire rack for about and hour or so. The salt and the cold will really dry out the outer layer of meat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I cook most things this way on my kettle.

I set up for duel zone. Start off the meat opposite of the coals and once I get near my desired IT I move over top of the fire. Made some thick cut pork chops last night this way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top