Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2015 9:15:19 AM EDT
My buddy at work made me an Ugly Drum Smoker so I thought today would be a great day to try it out. This is my first smoke so we'll see how it goes. Started with a 7lb pork butt from the meat market, injected and covered with a Kansas City rub, and I let it sit in an oven bag in the fridge overnight. Using Kingsford briquettes, in the future I'll use lump charcoal but I had a couple 20lb bags that I need to use up, wasn't sure what wood to use so I'm trying chunks of apple wood. Got it up to temp about 8am and put the meat on, now I'm just fighting to keep it around 250. I'm sure it's going to take me a few times before I know what I'm doing but it's been fun so far, hoping I don't screw up the pork too bad. Any idea how long I should let it smoke for? I've read about an hour per pound or once the inside is at 195.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
First smoke will kinda be trial by fire.  I would monitor the meat temp till middle of pork hits desired temp.
I usually try to keep my smoker around 220.

You got any more pics of that drum?  Looks pretty interesting, what is the conduit for?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, this is def going to take some practice. I'm having a hard time keeping it at 250 so if it stays between 220-250, I'm going to leave it alone. It's a 55 gallon drum, with a steel charcoal basket on the bottom, 2 weber grill grates, with a thermometer on the top. The conduit just raised the air valve, convenience I guess. It has a couple more plugs in the bottom but I've been keeping them plugged so it doesn't get too hot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump your temp up... 275-300 and if pulling look for a temp of 205*
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok, thank you. I just opened another vent to get it a little higher. I am doing pulled pork. Does about an hour per pound sound right? Or just until it's up to temp?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to say... I almost always cook to temp with shoulder. If you are getting close on time tightly wrap in foil and put it in the oven at 300.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok, thank you. I just opened another vent to get it a little higher. I am doing pulled pork. Does about an hour per pound sound right? Or just until it's up to temp?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of thermometer are you using for grill temp?

I never cook for time, just run a probe in the meat and set an alarm desired temp.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm late to the thread, how did it turn out? The UDS is a great choice for a smoker!! My first year of competing I used a pair of them and did quit well. I cook at 325 for everything, one of the biggest pitfulls is get focused on time/temp for new pitmaster, you can use them as guidelines but focuse on the meat. Ribs, when you pick them up with a tong in the middle and the droop with out falling apart.... their done. Brisket(flat) when it probs like sticking the thermometer in hot butter its done. Pork but when you can wiggle the bone out its done :) the temps can very from 190-220.

Looking forward to see some finished pics and hear about your first cook!!

Clint
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I smoked some BBQ last week.

Honestly, I'm just trying to get to 50 posts.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I never cook for time, just run a probe in the meat and set an alarm desired temp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now I'm just using a dial thermometer that I have bolted to the lid of my smoker for the smoker temp and a cheap meat thermometer to check the internal temp of the meat. I'll probably upgrade to a digital wireless thermometer in the future but for now it's working fine. Should I consider the dual probe thermometer?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm late to the thread, how did it turn out? The UDS is a great choice for a smoker!! My first year of competing I used a pair of them and did quit well. I cook at 325 for everything, one of the biggest pitfulls is get focused on time/temp for new pitmaster, you can use them as guidelines but focuse on the meat. Ribs, when you pick them up with a tong in the middle and the droop with out falling apart.... their done. Brisket(flat) when it probs like sticking the thermometer in hot butter its done. Pork but when you can wiggle the bone out its done :) the temps can very from 190-220.

Clint
View Quote

Hi Clint,
Thanks for he input. My first smoke turned out great! I had a few friends over that insisted on being the guinea pigs and they loved the pulled pork. I smoked it for about 7 hours, took it off and coated it with the marinade that I injected, wrapped tight in foil, and put it back on for about 2 hrs at 200. The internal temp was right around 200 when I took it off. It didn't take much effort to pull, it fell apart with a fork. We were very pleased with how it turned out. I'm actually going to do another one tomorrow and I am going to attempt some spare ribs. Does anyone have a good rub recipe for ribs that they wouldn't mind sharing? I made a KC rub for the shoulder but was wondering if I should use a different rub for the ribs. I'm also going to try lump charcoal, I used up all my kingsford. I'll post some before and after pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right now I'm just using a dial thermometer that I have bolted to the lid of my smoker for the smoker temp and a cheap meat thermometer to check the internal temp of the meat. I'll probably upgrade to a digital wireless thermometer in the future but for now it's working fine. Should I consider the dual probe thermometer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Maverick ET733 that has about 20 smokes on it so far. I really like it.

Most dial thermometers on top of grills/smokers are known to be horribly inaccurate. The one on my Weber is inconsistently off from -100 to +100.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Meat quits taking smoke at 220.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a 2nd smoke today, it went well.
The only complaint was that it was too spicy, I guess I'll add less cayenne to the rub next time. It was my first time doing ribs. They tasted great!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hi Clint,
Thanks for he input. My first smoke turned out great! I had a few friends over that insisted on being the guinea pigs and they loved the pulled pork. I smoked it for about 7 hours, took it off and coated it with the marinade that I injected, wrapped tight in foil, and put it back on for about 2 hrs at 200. The internal temp was right around 200 when I took it off. It didn't take much effort to pull, it fell apart with a fork. We were very pleased with how it turned out. I'm actually going to do another one tomorrow and I am going to attempt some spare ribs. Does anyone have a good rub recipe for ribs that they wouldn't mind sharing? I made a KC rub for the shoulder but was wondering if I should use a different rub for the ribs. I'm also going to try lump charcoal, I used up all my kingsford. I'll post some before and after pictures tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clint

Hi Clint,

Get this book. It will give you a shit ton of ideas for rubs, sauces, & marinades. I've had it for about 12 years now and I honestly haven't bought a rub or sauce in over 10 years.
http://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Sauces-Marinades-Bastes-Butters/dp/0761119795/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434917089&sr=1-3&keywords=the+bbq+bible
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO 205 is way overdone for a butt, even when pulling. I prefer to pull mine and they almost always pull easily after stopping at 195 internal, plus the strands still have meat-like texture instead of mushy. Pull at 193-4, rest 1hr minimum in a cooler wrapped in foil, then pull and enjoy. Cooking butts anywhere from 225 to 300 seems to work just fine for most people, I usually run at 225-230 using a BBQ Guru DigiQ 2.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hi Clint,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clint

Hi Clint,

Fantastic!! thats all that is important I love Lump vs Charcoal for a UDS but I cook hot and fast. Drop me an PM with your email I'll send you a word Doc with rubs and sauce I've collected. I will say I use a doctored Big Ron's Rub for Comps and I place well. If you every need help just PM me I'm a little slow but I will answer. I just cooked ~500lbs of butts and brisket this weekend for our Solstice vending.

Clint

Quoted:
IMO 205 is way overdone for a butt, even when pulling. I prefer to pull mine and they almost always pull easily after stopping at 195 internal, plus the strands still have meat-like texture instead of mushy. Pull at 193-4, rest 1hr minimum in a cooler wrapped in foil, then pull and enjoy. Cooking butts anywhere from 225 to 300 seems to work just fine for most people, I usually run at 225-230 using a BBQ Guru DigiQ 2.

Temp doesn't matter it a non factor, its all on the bone wiggle, I cook at 325 and 205 roughly would be under done or low end of done 210 is more realistic.  At 225 195-205 is easy possible... as long as it wasn't mush and pulled easy good to go. This isn't a comp were money muscle slicing in key and temp needs to be perfect. Just MHO

Clint
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top