Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 4:33:23 PM EDT
I was thinking of trying a brisket in the smoker one of these days so I checked the store to see what they had on hand. I was surprised to learn there are points and flats, maybe others that they didn't have on hand?  What's the difference, and more importantly what's the better choice?  I assume I should use a drip pan at the very bottom of my vertical smoker and keep the brisket in the middle or to the top?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The flat is the leaner part of the brisket and tends to be thinner.  The point typically has much more marbled fat content.   It depends on the flavoring you like.

You can get the best of the both worlds by getting a packer brisked which has both the flat and the point.   You will have to make sure to cut out the deckle which is a very think piece of fact which will not render out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is to test your 'Google-fu' and read up on the extensive amount of material out in the WWW on briskets.  I could spend hours answering your questions...but you would be better served reading up.  Good luck...mastering the Brisket is a challenge and definitely well worth the effort.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't help you with the vertical smoker but I always buy a packer brisket.
I do them whole but if you cut it down and time/temp it correctly you sould be ok.

ETA: Keep your rub simple.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Search for bbq by Franklin on youtube. Many good vids on how to choose and trim a brisket for smoking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I buy whole briskets then separate the flat from the point. I wish I didn't have to, but like you i have a vertical smoker and there's not room.

Google the toothpick test to know when it's done.

I slice the flat and cube the point into roughly 1 inch cubes.  Then I throw some more rub on the chunks and toss them back in the smoker for a couple more hours to make burnt ends aka "man candy".

I usually put the brisket in the middle of my smoker, but it just depends on what else I'm cooking. Drip pan is a pain in the ass to clean, but I keep mine in whenever I'm smoking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I buy whole briskets then separate the flat from the point. I wish I didn't have to, but like you i have a vertical smoker and there's not room.

I slice the flat and cube the point into roughly 1 inch cubes.  Then I throw some more rub on the chunks and toss them back in the smoker for a couple more hours to make burnt ends aka "man candy".

I usually put the brisket in the middle of my smoker, but it just depends on what else I'm cooking. Drip pan is a pain in the ass to clean, but I keep mine in whenever I'm smoking.
View Quote

Never made burnt ends but I always thought folks used only the point for the burnt ends.  How is the flat compared to the point?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The flat is leaner.

And I only use the point for burnt ends.  I've done it with the flat, but it ended up dry.  I slice the flat to eat like that. Sorry that I wasn't clear last night...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can get the point, that's my favorite.  Cooking it the right way will melt the fat and then it's soooooo much more tender than the flat.

The flat is kind of boring to me.  It's great for grinding up, then mixing it with something with some fat (short ribs, flap meat, pork butt, etc.)  for burgers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The flat is the leaner part of the brisket and tends to be thinner.  The point typically has much more marbled fat content.   It depends on the flavoring you like.

You can get the best of the both worlds by getting a packer brisked which has both the flat and the point.   You will have to make sure to cut out the deckle which is a very think piece of fact which will not render out.
View Quote

Cut out the deckle?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cut out the deckle?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut out the deckle?

It won't render out. Why wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I trim all fat down to 1/4" including the deckle. That thick hunk of fat will not render out. Cook fat side down. It helps protect the flat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
When picking one out at the store, I buy the one that is more flexible. I buy whole cryovaced packers btw.
Choice or better. SRF  or Creekstone Farms if you want to splurge. I normally just get choice packers at WallyWorld.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I trim all fat down to 1/4" including the deckle. That thick hunk of fat will not render out. Cook fat side down. It helps protect the flat.
View Quote

Let's start this debate!

I also trim all the fat to about  1/4 inch.

But the real secret is cooking fat side up. This causes the fat to render and melt through the meat-like basting your brisket in delicious melty brisket fat.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
It all depends on the cooker. If the heat is more on top then fat side up. I'm cooking on a BGE therefore I put fat down. The fat will not render through the brisket. The amount of intramuscular fat is what makes it all melty good.
The fat on the bottom in a vertical or ceramic type cooker will help protect the flat from too much heat from the grate.
But that is all speculative. People on the eggforum have cooked them both ways with equal results.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't help you with the vertical smoker but I always buy a packer brisket.
I do them whole but if you cut it down and time/temp it correctly you sould be ok.

ETA: Keep your rub simple.
View Quote

Yup, salt and pepper are all you need.  It is fun to do a Dr. Pepper brine and injection once in a while.  Root beer and Cola work too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never made burnt ends but I always thought folks used only the point for the burnt ends.  How is the flat compared to the point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burnt ends are the point of the brisket. You smoke the whole brisket, when its done, separate the point from the flat, cube into 1 inch pieces and rerub them and sauce(if you prefer) and smoke till they are semi carmelized. Best part of the brisket honestly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The fat up or fat down debate will go on for ever.......so will the foil, paper, or neither debate.

One recipe to look at, Google "Smokelahoma Brisket" from Steven Reichlan.  Good recipe for beans on the same page.

If you haven't separated the flat from the point during cooking, make sure you when you go to slice it.  The grains run perpendicular to each other.

If you cube either for burnt ends, inject with a little butter--makes them all the much better.

Years ago I heard a radio interview of a famous brisket comp winner.  He swore you had to age the brisket.  I can't remember, but he would let them sit for 3-4 weeks after the sell by date.   Once they turned that nasty color, then he would open the bag, rinse it off, and then let it sit some more.  I think he said he would let them sit at room temp for hours at a times right after he bought it too.  Sounded a little dangerous and unsafe, but if you're cooking to 200F, none of the bad stuff is going to live through that.  I wish I could remember his name or team, but he had won a ton of comps and had been on that show.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#18]
old thread but my favorite subject

I always considered burnt ends to be exactly that, the ends of the brisket that got a little hot and a little dry
my goal is to have little to no burnt ends  maybe a 1" chunk cut off

already mentioned but the franklin barbecue youtube series walks you through it starting with picking a good brisket
I like for my whole untrimmed packers to be flexible enough to bend into a U
I want to see some marbling and I want a decent fat cap that I can trim down  

as for aging I "age" mine in the fridge for 3 or 4 days
pull it out and trim the fat cap and cut the deckle out soft fat=good  solid hard fat= bad
salt and pepper it and back in the fridge for another 12 hours or so

starting with a good brisket IMO is key
I will dig until I find one I like
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Years ago I heard a radio interview of a famous brisket comp winner.  He swore you had to age the brisket.  I can't remember, but he would let them sit for 3-4 weeks after the sell by date.   Once they turned that nasty color, then he would open the bag, rinse it off, and then let it sit some more.  I think he said he would let them sit at room temp for hours at a times right after he bought it too.  Sounded a little dangerous and unsafe, but if you're cooking to 200F, none of the bad stuff is going to live through that.  I wish I could remember his name or team, but he had won a ton of comps and had been on that show.
View Quote

Thats  called wet aging, I do it as well.as long as you keep it sealed in the cryo vac and keep it below 40F  your fine. Most teams that do it have a separate fridge that's not getting opened non stop to wet age in. One of the best beginner brisket threads I've see is Here.  I won't even go into the Debate on fat up/down/side or wrap/unwrap/paper towles/old hockey jerseys lol

Clint
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I do, however, I did have to google up deckle....  Fat side up or down is a 9mm vs .45 argument.  Fact is it just doesn't matter.

Salt and Pepper is all you need for good brisket.  It is fun to do a marinade/injection of either coke, dr. pepper, or root beer a few times a year.  

A mustard rub is a favorite too.  People like the vinegar.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats  called wet aging, I do it as well.as long as you keep it sealed in the cryo vac and keep it below 40F  your fine. Most teams that do it have a separate fridge that's not getting opened non stop to wet age in. One of the best beginner brisket threads I've see is Here.  I won't even go into the Debate on fat up/down/side or wrap/unwrap/paper towles/old hockey jerseys lol

Clint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clint

I bought one that the 'sell by' date was that day's date.  It was in the frige for 5 days after that.  If FUCKING reaked when I cracked open the vacuum bag and the fat was starting to turn color.  I trimmed the shit out of it to remove all the discolored fat.  Luckily I have a 600 cfm vent on my stove to pull the death out of the air.  As soon as I cracked that bag, it wafted all the way to the women in the living room.  I brined it overnight in salt and vinegar and that killed the smell.  I had a lot riding on that brisket, because a lot of guests were coming over.  It was 100% fine.  Flavor was perfect and it tasted no different than any other brisket I have cooked.  I will try not to repeat the date/age mistake again.  Yes, 205 target temp met and 30 min rest foiled in an empty beer cooler.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounded a little dangerous and unsafe, but if you're cooking to 200F, none of the bad stuff is going to live through that.  I wish I could remember his name or team, but he had won a ton of comps and had been on that show.
View Quote

Temp kills bugs but doesn't kill toxins that may be left behind by the bugs... IE, botulism poisoning doesn't come from the bacteria itself (they are mostly harmless) it's from the toxins released by the bacteria. Allowing meat to sit at temps 40-140 promotes the growth of bacteria, especially those that cause botulism poisoning. Cooking it after that toxin is in there won't help with that...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought one that the 'sell by' date was that day's date.  It was in the frige for 5 days after that.  If FUCKING reaked when I cracked open the vacuum bag and the fat was starting to turn color.  I trimmed the shit out of it to remove all the discolored fat.  Luckily I have a 600 cfm vent on my stove to pull the death out of the air.  As soon as I cracked that bag, it wafted all the way to the women in the living room.  I brined it overnight in salt and vinegar and that killed the smell.  I had a lot riding on that brisket, because a lot of guests were coming over.  It was 100% fine.  Flavor was perfect and it tasted no different than any other brisket I have cooked.  I will try not to repeat the date/age mistake again.  Yes, 205 target temp met and 30 min rest foiled in an empty beer cooler.
View Quote

Bad meat is bad meat doesn't matter what the "date" is I've had 3 back to back case of pork that was rancid all less then a week after butcher date. I just take them back to supplier and get more. Got nothing to do with what I said,  wet and dry ageing been done for a long long time, its nothing new.

Clint
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top