Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 9:43:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered using a baking steel?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you add a little sugar to the dough recipe? It helps to feed the yeast but also promotes browning. I use to add 2 TBLS of white sugar to the dough recipe, but changed it to 2 TBLS of Honey because it added a nice background flavor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Try 450?

I baked my first pizza I assembled myself yesterday and it browned nicely.  450 oven.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
When I did my pizzas in the oven (I do my pizzas on my egg now) I ran the oven as hot as it would go, and would watch it till I thought it was gtg. Having a really good thick stone helps.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
425 is not hot enough. 450 -500 or broil.
Preheat the stone.  Use a pizza peel to put the pizza in on the hot stone. Only need cook for 5-8 minutes of so.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have probably mixed, thrown, and cooked more than 100,000 high end pizzas so far in my life. Baking on a thick, hot (550F) stone is essential. Bake on a screen that allows the heat to hit the bottom of the pizza. When the outer crust is light brown, place the pizza directly on the bricks. Only let the bottom of the pie sit directly on the stone for the last 20 seconds or so, until desired brownness is reached. For the dough, sugar and salt and yeast should be close to equally proportional. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the oil. Also, high gluten flour is essential. Good luck!

Eta: at these temps a pizza will cook for roughly 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have probably mixed, thrown, and cooked more than 100,000 high end pizzas so far in my life. Baking on a thick, hot (550F) stone is essential. Bake on a screen that allows the heat to hit the bottom of the pizza. When the outer crust is light brown, place the pizza directly on the bricks. Only let the bottom of the pie sit directly on the stone for the last 20 seconds or so, until desired brownness is reached. For the dough, sugar and salt and yeast should be close to equally proportional. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the oil. Also, high gluten flour is essential. Good luck!

View Quote

550 degrees for 15 minutes?

I'm calling BS... I run my pizzas at 550 on a baking steel and they take 3-5 minutes; 15 minutes would be completely charred black.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been working at this for years, still not there.  I finally have a sauce and dough recipe that work really well.  I have trouble getting high gluten flour in the grocery stores here so tonight I added vital wheat gluten.  The crust turned out amazing.  Good stretch without tearing and it rose beautifully.  

What I am still lacking is a nice golden crust.  It cooks but doesn't brown.  I bake in my oven at 425 with a pizza stone but the crust never really browns up.  What else can I do?
View Quote

You really need to let the dough rest over night in the fridge... Trust me on this one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You really need to let the dough rest over night in the fridge... Trust me on this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been working at this for years, still not there.  I finally have a sauce and dough recipe that work really well.  I have trouble getting high gluten flour in the grocery stores here so tonight I added vital wheat gluten.  The crust turned out amazing.  Good stretch without tearing and it rose beautifully.  

What I am still lacking is a nice golden crust.  It cooks but doesn't brown.  I bake in my oven at 425 with a pizza stone but the crust never really browns up.  What else can I do?

This. 2-3 days even better. I use this dough recipe.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html
I also knead before putting in frig. Cook at 600-650 on the egg for 7-8 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a stone on my charcoal grill.

I get it to close to 600° then cook the pizza for 4-5 minutes.

I can do it in the oven at 500°, but you don't get the same taste as using lump or briquettes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with lump over briquettes. Lump is cleaner and gets hotter.
I go 600 on my BGE for pizza.
Also, don't overload with toppings.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:.
View Quote

We like tomatoes but they always make the crust limp. So we now use Sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drain them and top the pie.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I used chopped and drained fire roasted tomatoes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do pizzas on my BGE all the time, the sweet spot is 600 degrees for 20 mins on the stone to get it to temp. Then a "12 pizza for 4-5 mins which will be perfect.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
i like to cook my pizza's on the grill, they always turn out amazing
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#16]
We did some pizzas riday night in cast Iron skillets. Once was a deep dish in the 10" the other was done in a 12". Juice up the pans with hefty amount of Olive oil, using fresh dough refridgerated over night, placed in pan swirl with oil, flip and cover to proof. Punch it down, stretch the dough to fit the pan, in the case of the deep dish pull dough over the side of the pan. Bake @ 500*F for 5 minutes, remove add toppings, return to 500* oven and bake 10-12 minutes.

Perfect pies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We like tomatoes but they always make the crust limp. So we now use Sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drain them and top the pie.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.

Throw the cheese on first then add tbe tomatoes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Semolina flour should be available at your local grocer.  It's normally used for pasta, because of its very high gluten content.  Mix it 50/50 with all-purpose flour for a thin and crispy crust, or 50/50 with bread flour for a chewier crust.
Also, you want to sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza stone right before you put the pizza on it.
For a thin crust pie, you really do want the oven as hot as it can be.  I've got a propane pizza cooker (PizzaQue) that gets up to 700°F.  It's pretty cool.  (No pun intended...)  It's awesome for pizza parties.  Make some 10" crusts ahead of time, lay out some toppings, and let your guests cook their own.  This thing will stay hot and keep cooking successive pizzas until you run out of gas.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
+2 on higher heat!

I bake our pizza at a min of 450.

I add 2tsp sugar to a 4cup flour base. And an equal amount of olive oil.

Also I don't bake a set time, I bake until it looks done.

5 min on bottom rack, 15 on top. Then I check every 3 mins until perfecto.

ETA: check out Bruno's perfect pizza dough on YouTube. The balling trick, along with slapping the dough during kneading, really steps it up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Creme fraisch pizza- use  instead of red sauce

toppings:
thin sliced ham/panchetta
olives
ring peppers
green/red peppers
add some pepper on the sauce
I use fresh sausage too.
Also super thin slices of tomato evenly spaced

bake at nuke temp  drizzle with olive oil
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Use cornmeal to hold the crust up off of the platen, or in your case, stone.

When you lay out your dough, transfer it onto a peel that has corn meal sprinkled on it. Then build your pizza.

You will then need to get it slid off onto your stone.

The cornmeal lets the crust brown and adds more flavor.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm calling BS... I run my pizzas at 550 on a baking steel and they take 3-5 minutes; 15 minutes would be completely charred black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's using a screen. That's still a long time.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy your pizza from El Fredo's Sioux City, Ia.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
550 is where it's at. also, let you oven and stone heat for at least 30 minutes before you throw the pizza in

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
550 is where it's at. also, let you oven and stone heat for at least 30 minutes before you throw the pizza in  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my dough sretches..then springs back...impossible to make thin crust.... anyone?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Some Safeway stores have a big lump of chilled pizza dough ready to stretch out.

I've tried it, but am no means a pizza making expert, altho, I would like to be someday.

Wonder if anyone has tried it? It's with the take home you cook pizzas.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

my dough sretches..then springs back...impossible to make thin crust.... anyone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too - what I do is oversize the dough then cut off the outer edge. A lot of wasted dough but it's thin!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Me too - what I do is oversize the dough then cut off the outer edge. A lot of wasted dough but it's thin!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

let it rest for 10 minutes and try again. that will give the gluten time to relax

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top