Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 1:26:40 PM EDT
Going to take my first crack at one of these on Saturday.  I have a 6-1/2 pounder and will be using a WSM with charcoal and hickory.
How far in advance should I season the meat and any other pointers are humbly welcome.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW I let mine warm to close to room temp. Slather it in mustard, then cover with paprika, pepper, chilli powder and usually a brown sugar seasoning. If I am doing a big one I'll pre cook it in the oven the night before for 7-8 hours at 200 degrees. Put it in the fridge over night then smoke it for an additional 6 hours. I save all the juice and use it to keep the meat moist. Watch how much hickory you use as it can get a bit over powering. I prefer cherry wood.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW I let mine warm to close to room temp. Slather it in mustard, then cover with paprika, pepper, chilli powder and usually a brown sugar seasoning. If I am doing a big one I'll pre cook it in the oven the night before for 7-8 hours at 200 degrees. Put it in the fridge over night then smoke it for an additional 6 hours. I save all the juice and use it to keep the meat moist. Watch how much hickory you use as it can get a bit over powering. I prefer cherry wood.
View Quote

Everything I've read says that cold meat takes more smoke.  I put mine on right out of the refrigerator.   I usually apply a dry rub on 24 hours in advance, but I doubt that it needs that much.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there some kind of a formula for weight of brisket/time smoked? I smoked a 3lb brisket in a WSM with charcoal and hickory and it was kinda dry, smoked it for about 5 hours at 225
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there some kind of a formula for weight of brisket/time smoked? I smoked a 3lb brisket in a WSM with charcoal and hickory and it was kinda dry, smoked it for about 5 hours at 225
View Quote

Every piece of meat is different.  It depends a lot on so many factors but particularly the grade of meat.   The rule of thumb is about 1 1/2 hours per pound at that temperature, but that is just a basic guideline.   You really have to cook to internal temperature and there can be a lot variability.

What grade of meat did you start with?  Did you wrap in foil after a few hours for the "Texas Crutch"?   Did you keep a pan of water in the smoker?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Everything I've read says that cold meat takes more smoke.  I put mine on right out of the refrigerator.   I usually apply a dry rub on 24 hours in advance, but I doubt that it needs that much.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spent the better part of last night perusing that site.  Talk about being schooled,  damn.  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top