Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 9:52:30 AM EDT
Since Arfcom is the home of all knowledge on all subjects, I bring my query to you.

My wife and I are looking for a decent electric can opener that will last more than 6-12 months. We've gone through probably 5 or 6 can openers in as many years, and it's getting ridiculous. It seems as if they've become a disposable appliance.

Granted a couple of those were cheap $12 Walmart specials that lasted maybe 8 months. But we've tried other options from name brands that didn't last much longer.

My wife finally decided to spend $60 on a Cuisinart brand opener. It's lasted roughly 15 months or so, and now it's ready for the garbage. Doesn't go through a whole cut cycle without stopping, runs much slower than normal, randomly drops cans, etc. Most of the time you have to keep pressing in on the front of the opener to keep it running. Sometimes that doesn't even work. It doesn't seem any better than the cheap Walmart junk, other than it took twice as long to break but cost 5 times as much.  

We're ready to spend a bit of money to get something that will work well and last, but if the only thing out there worth a damn costs $200 I guess we'll just start a quarterly can opener subscription on Amazon.  

Anyone out there have an electric can opener that is older than the bananas on the cupboard but still works?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably just buy a vintage one off ebay. My grandparents had two that never died as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, that's a good point.

I know the opener my mom had lasted most of my childhood and I'm sure it wasn't anything special at the time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My Grandmother had a Swing-a-way wall mounted mechanical can opener since the beginning of history.  I bought the same one from Ace hardware.  It is faster than most electrics and it works every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top