Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2015 3:13:24 PM EDT
I have no clue what possessed me to make pickled eggs last night. I can't even remember if I like em or not. Whatever the reason,  I made a batch of 24, and used a repurposed large pickle jar. I wasn't happy with the online recipes so I tossed in 1/2 cup of Schriracha, and extra garlic! Next week I should know if it's a winner or not. If it does turn out to rock, I am thinking about those hot pickled sausages you used to be able to find everywhere! I Will use a quality local boudin Blanc instead of hot dog type meat. Should turn out great.

If anyone's interested here's the recipe.

Start a gallon of water to boil on high heat,  adding 3tblspns salt, and 1/4 cup vinegar. At high simmer carefully add eggs(I used tongs). Reduce heat to maintain high simmer and cover for a good 35-40 mins. When done transfer eggs to bowl of cold water.

Meantime in another pot add 4 cups water, and 4 cups vinegar, then bring to boil. Adding 6 garlic cloves, tsp of dill, 1/4 cup salt, 1/2  cup  Schriracha , and tblspn of pickling spice, and a pinch of bay leaf. Boil for 20-30mins

Sanitize your jar either with dishwasher, or home brew solution (iodiphor)!

Add peeled n cooled eggs to jar.

Pour hot brine into jar filling to very top. Cap and cool on the counter, for a few  hours or overnight. then transfer to refrigerator.

Ready to go after a few days. Best in a week, but good for many weeks if left in refrigerator.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure they will be good, it's hard to screw up pickled eggs.

I recently made a couple batches. My favorites are soaked in pickled beet juice but I also wanted to try some hot ones. This is the recipe I used, I tripled the amount of hot peppers and they still don't taste very hot. Maybe I just need to let them sit longer.

http://pharmacist.hubpages.com/hub/spicypickledeggs
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used Schriracha for pickled eggs. Its good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Why boil then for so long? I start with cold water and eggs, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Ice water after that and easy peeling. Or use Alton Browns bake method.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why boil then for so long? I start with cold water and eggs, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Ice water after that and easy peeling. Or use Alton Browns bake method.
View Quote

I set one of my good kitchen towels on fire using that method. Only time AB let me down

I do the cold water method now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I set one of my good kitchen towels on fire using that method. Only time AB let me down

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

did you use a wet cotton towel? I can see a synthetic fiber towel burning.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup and yup. Dunno what happened.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno if it's the local eggs? Or the local water? Maybe both!

I've tried the cold water method for less time, and the eggs always turn out to be impossible to peel clean n smooth! I even tried aging new eggs!

After research on the net, it was found adding to already hot water, improves peel ability.

And goofing around with boil times I've found for me, a good 30 min heat soak is bestest.

And if they gonna be pickled, I don't think it's possible to over cook.

JMHO

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
have you tried the baking soda trick.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

have you tried the baking soda trick.
View Quote
After a thread here a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try all the "methods" for easy peal.

I tried baking soda, and stopped the experiment because it worked so damn well no other solution is needed.

About half a teaspoon did the trick. Now I crack the shells and they basically jump right off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sampled the batch, and it turned out tasty!

Not much heat, but lots of flavor.

I will have to try the baking soda trick. Just add it to the water before heating?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top