Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2015 6:29:26 AM EDT
I'm just starting to get into this and have been watching videos of them. Looks super easy to use. I was just wondering if anyone here uses them?

I'm mostly looking to do pork ribs and pork shoulders at first, then moving on to other things later on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
UDS are great. Are you building your own?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

UDS are great. Are you building your own?
View Quote

I was just going to buy one.  Pit Barrel Cookers are $299, including shipping.  Probably a lot for what it is, but they seem to be really nice.

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one and cooked my first sets of ribs ever, a couple of weeks ago.  One rack turned out just right, but the other two should have been left on a little longer as they didn't turn out as tender as I would have liked.  Not too bad for my first ribs, though, and they were delicious!  Cooking some pork shoulder for the first time tomorrow, looking forward to that!

Chopped up the leftovers and made sandwiches the next day.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.  Might have to look into these.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interesting.  Might have to look into these.  

View Quote

The YouTube videos are what sold me on it, and a few guys at work who have them.  I cooked two pork shoulders/butts the other day for the first time ever, and they turned out great.  I could tell it was going to be a while before they were going to get to the right temperature, and I had people waiting, so I put them in the oven to get the temperature up.  I should have started sooner, I started at 2 p.m., and it was 9 p.m. before I took them out of the oven.  Should have started a few hours earlier.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my UDS. I've done ribs, pork shoulder, briskets, ect. It truly is set it and forget it. I built mine with two racks and the lid from an old Weber grill, so I can do  a ton of meat if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
UDS are by far the best beginner smoker out there you can't go wrong with building or buying one!

Clint
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I am going to cook two whole chickens this weekend, they are supposed to turn out really good and only take a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well you will know if the ribs are overcooked if you lose 3/4 of the slab.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well you will know if the ribs are overcooked if you lose 3/4 of the slab.
View Quote

I was a little nervous about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top