Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
I tried pan frying some filets in a few table spoons of grease to keep from making the mess that deep frying does, but it did not turn out the way I like.
I like my fish to where I can pick the filet up and dip it in whatever sauce.
The pan fried fish just falls apart.
Am I doing it wrong, or is that just the way pan fried fish is?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
first off, what type of fish are you using?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
first off, what type of fish are you using?
View Quote

Talapia.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
what sort of coating are you using? Just breadcrumbs? You may need to flour it, dip in egg, then roll it in breadcrumbs to get a sturdier coating since Tilapia is a more delicate and flaker fish.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure what you mean by falling apart. Is the fish itself falling apart or is the breading falling off the fish?

When you pan fry you just want to brown each side and transfer to the oven on a rack for best results. This will keep the fish from being greasy and keep it crisp. You can however just cook it through in the pan, but if you are cooking several fillets then you will want to transfer to the oven. Pan frying requires high heat and small amounts of grease. Cooking multiple fillets will require one to clean the pan in between batches unless you want burnt pieces of batter sticking to your fillets. 2T of good cooking oil like Crisco will keep the smoke point of the oil high so you can fry at a higher temp. Olive oil has a low smoke point as do most animal fats, but one can add soybean or peanut to raise the smoke point.

If the fish itself is falling apart then it may be sticking to the bottom of the pan or old. Old fish can get mealy and it tends not to stay together well. Either that or you are not cooking at a high enough temp to allow the breading to seal over and crisp. Do not add the fish until the oil is hot. I will wait until the oil is just beginning to produce halos in the pan then add the fish.

If the breading is falling off you need to coat in flour or starch prior to dredging in the batter.

1) Dry/Wet/Dry is generally how 99% of things are fried or Dredge in flour/starch, then eggwash/buttermilk, then flour/crumbs/cracker/cornmeal.

2) Sometimes it goes wet/dry/wet if you are using a batter like buttermilk/ flour/ batter say for chicken. Hell, I"ve seen Wet/Dry/Wet/Dry for extra crispy.

3) Dry/Wet it depends for say a Tempura.

4) Or just Dry. A heavy coating of seasoned corn starch on a whole fish that has been scored will yeild a handsome meal out of the deep fryer.

5) Pan frying can be done with any method listed above or you can just coat with a seasoned flour or starch then sear each side and finish in the oven.

Dredging right into batter then frying will be a disaster. The batter will get blown off the fish as the moisture leaves the flesh. The flour or starch acts as a binder or glue to keep the final coating adheared to the fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top