Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 2:10:18 PM EDT
Trying to cut out potatoes.
So far I've tried parsnips and sweet potato.
Parsnips do OK, but sweet potato gets too soft.
Would something like acorn or butternut sqaush go well with roast?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing replace potatoes.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yucca maybe
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Big fat carrots.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Parsnips
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
cauliflower?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing replace potatoes.

View Quote

This sorry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Use zucchini. The trick is not to add it until the last 10 mins.

Anything you would substitute for potatoes is going to take less time for them to cook and wont hold up in the same way.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Plantains.

If you want your veggies to have some texture reserve some of the veggies to place into the pot until near the end of cooking. Keep some in the pot as a rack and to enhances and thicken the broth/Jus. This way your veggies aren't mush when it comes time for service.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Rutabaga.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes with a roast I use cabbage in place of potatoes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Rice, hard bread, and bread dumplings are all good for starch with a roast beef with lots of gravy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Turnips. Had some today. Taste like little red new potatoes
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I understand cutting carbs by limiting potato intake, I'm doing the same.

I really like Butternut Squash - there are a LOT of different ways to prepare it and they all taste great.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Use science to your advantage.

Any starchy vegetable can be made more resistant to heat breakdown by cooking it in an acidy environment, such as when you add vinegar, lemon juice, or wine to the crock pot. (Acids strengthen pectin bonds.) Or, you can par-cook your sweet potatoes in wine or vinegar, and they will hold up much, much better through long cooking.

Similarly, any starchy vegetable can be made to break down much more quickly by cooking it in an alkaline environment, which you can achieve by adding baking soda, for example.

Both tricks work great. Beans, for example, cook in about half the time if you add baking soda to the mix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top