Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 2:22:59 PM EDT
and wow is that the best investment ever!  She asked for a Kitchen Aid mixer because she wanted to bake more and I got her a professional series model and she is totally infatuated with it.  She is constantly baking things and has now progressed into pastas.  She's bought almost all the attachments (I'll get her the sausage grinder and stuffer later, but that is really for me).

I don't think either of us could be happier.  She gets to engage her hobby and me... well I'm eating quite well!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Good call!  The meat grinder and sausage stuffer are awesome.  Buying a cheap roast and grinding your own hamburger is nice, and you know it doesn't have scraps of bone or gristle in it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
We have one handed down from my grandmother, the wife,loves it.

It will last a couple of lifetimes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good call!  The meat grinder and sausage stuffer are awesome.  Buying a cheap roast and grinding your own hamburger is nice, and you know it doesn't have scraps of bone or gristle in it.
View Quote

Is their cheaper meat grinder any good?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My gf received one for her birthday.  Awesome investment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works but not well. You can make sausage with it but for any real grinding task you will want a dedicated meat grinder. You may use the KA grinder and thing oh this works fine. Then you get to use a real grinder and then you will see the difference and do the V8 thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite attachment is the Fruit/Vegetable Strainer Set.  Maybe not for everybody, but we home-can a lot of stuff and this has made canning tomato sauce about 1000 times easier than the old boil-peel-strain routine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My favorite attachment is the Fruit/Vegetable Strainer Set.  Maybe not for everybody, but we home-can a lot of stuff and this has made canning tomato sauce about 1000 times easier than the old boil-peel-strain routine.
View Quote

If you don't have a grinder this is a great option.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The ice cream maker attachment is a must have.  I have so far only made the vanilla recipe in the instruction book, and added fresh fruit/berries.  It is better than any ice cream you will buy, but use good vanilla for best flavor, not mccormicks (it won't turn out bad, just not as good).
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I got one 7 years ago and I thought it would just look good and never get used.
Man we use that thing at least once a week minimum I had no idea.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Be cautious... between more baked goods and less time being forced to stir heavy bowls of batter, I think I put on 10lbs after I got my wife a Kitchenaid some 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
We got 2 mixers as wedding gifts 25 years ago.

Every 5 years as an anniversary gift to my wife I get her some sort of attachment for them.

Love the mixers and the attachments.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
My sister claims her Kitchenaid mixer is the best wedding gift she received.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Just a PSA... Amazon's Deal of the Day today (5/2) has several of the 6-qt, bowl-lift mixers (refurbs) for $179:

Mixers
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Kitchenaid is definitely the "buy once, cry once" choice in mixers.  I bought my SO one many years ago and it has been paying off ever since. I think I'm going to get the meat grinder attachment for next years deer season.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
We have an older model we got at a garage sale many many years ago. No telling how old it was before we got it.

Wife mentioned last night about "upgrading" as I regularly see them on sale at Costco. Don't know if it's worth it or not... Probably not? As the saying goes "they don't make em like they used to"

Used maybe once per month
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We have an older model we got at a garage sale many many years ago. No telling how old it was before we got it.

Wife mentioned last night about "upgrading" as I regularly see them on sale at Costco. Don't know if it's worth it or not... Probably not? As the saying goes "they don't make em like they used to"

View Quote

If your oldie-but-goodie is a head tilt model I'd hang on to it.  I personally don't like the extra height of the bowl-lift models and the mechanism seems very cheaply made (at least on the ones at Costco I've seen).
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If your oldie-but-goodie is a head tilt model I'd hang on to it.  I personally don't like the extra height of the bowl-lift models and the mechanism seems very cheaply made (at least on the ones at Costco I've seen).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it's a Sunbeam American Classic. It does have a tilt head. I believe I've seen both styles at Costco before

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kitchenaid is definitely the "buy once, cry once" choice in mixers.  I bought my SO one many years ago and it has been paying off ever since. I think I'm going to get the meat grinder attachment for next years deer season.
View Quote

Don't. Just get a regular powered grinder. You'll be better off.

The attachment works...sorta. Gotta keep it clean and it doesn't do bulk very well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The attachment works...sorta. Gotta keep it clean and it doesn't do bulk very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
I have the grinder too, and while it's OK for an occasional batch of burgers, even a fairly cheap dedicated grinder would be better for any kind of quantity.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The ice cream maker attachment is a must have.  I have so far only made the vanilla recipe in the instruction book, and added fresh fruit/berries.  It is better than any ice cream you will buy, but use good vanilla for best flavor, not mccormicks (it won't turn out bad, just not as good).
View Quote

This.  We make low carb ice cream with Splenda and strawberries, wife loves this attachment, maybe $40 at Costco.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Well tonight she wanted to make spaghetti (who am I to argue?) I'm her guinea pig and test her ideas.  But at the same time I am a benefactor and can eat something probably good. but tonight she knocked one out of the park. These noodles did not come from a box.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had mine forever, they are great. I have most of the attachments, but one of the best things you can do is buy extra bowls.... especially if you do a lot of holiday baking.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well tonight she wanted to make spaghetti (who am I to argue?) I'm her guinea pig and test her ideas.  But at the same time I am a benefactor and can eat something probably good. but tonight she knocked one out of the park. These noodles did not come from a box.

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/2789/OTGGBD.jpg
View Quote

It took me a while to figure out what was going on in that pic...

My initial thought: Oh, pasta rack with past on it.... but something is wrong, gf is standing on floor, pasta rack appears to be standing on floor as well, WTF?... wait, pasta rack feet are collapsed, it's floating in the air, WTFX2????... this dude is FOS, he photo-shopped a pasta rack into a picture of his kitchen to make us believe his gf cooks for him; he sucks majorly at photoshop...

Then the epiphany hit: she is carrying the rack, by the top...

BTW, I'm not a fan of pasta racks like that. The pasta curls as it drys, comes up against other pasta and then cracks and falls to the floor. I use the large racks from my dehydrator and set them on bowls to keep them up off the table. I just made a large batch of egg noodles a short while ago because we had more eggs than we knew what to do with and our regular customers weren't buying enough to keep up with what our hens were producing... My wife and I don't even use store-bought pasta for lasagna and soups anymore. Spaghetti is one thing we just haven't nailed yet on the noodles. We can't get our homemade noodles to come out to a satisfactory al-dente texture so we buy our spaghetti still.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My initial thought: Oh, pasta rack with past on it.... but something is wrong, gf is standing on floor, pasta rack appears to be standing on floor as well, WTF?... wait, pasta rack feet are collapsed, it's floating in the air, WTFX2????... this dude is FOS, he photo-shopped a pasta rack into a picture of his kitchen to make us believe his gf cooks for him; he sucks majorly at photoshop...

BTW, I'm not a fan of pasta racks like that. The pasta curls as it drys, comes up against other pasta and then cracks and falls to the floor. I use the large racks from my dehydrator and set them on bowls to keep them up off the table. I just made a large batch of egg noodles a short while ago because we had more eggs than we knew what to do with and our regular customers weren't buying enough to keep up with what our hens were producing... My wife and I don't even use store-bought pasta for lasagna and soups anymore. Spaghetti is one thing we just haven't nailed yet on the noodles. We can't get our homemade noodles to come out to a satisfactory al-dente texture so we buy our spaghetti still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/2789/OTGGBD.jpg

I made my own drying rack, but I found that the dried noodles got moldy very fast sealed in ziplocks.  I find it's better to lay them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze them, then bag them up.  How long are you cooking the fresh noodles?  For small pasta like spaghetti they barely need to be cooked (like two minutes, not 8).
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
and wow is that the best investment ever!  She asked for a Kitchen Aid mixer because she wanted to bake more and I got her a professional series model and she is totally infatuated with it.  She is constantly baking things and has now progressed into pastas.  She's bought almost all the attachments (I'll get her the sausage grinder and stuffer later, but that is really for me).

I don't think either of us could be happier.  She gets to engage her hobby and me... well I'm eating quite well!
View Quote

The grinder is OK, but the stuffer sucks ass.  Buy a dedicated stuffer or press.  If you are doing more than 10 pounds of meat at a time, a dedicated grinder is a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I love mine, I have the icecream maker but need to get the pasta attachments for my wife.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Mrs. Drsalee uses the hell outta her Kitchenaide.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

had mixed results with pasta maker

run it thru and it splits/cracks...not smooth

that and when making fettuccini, it comes out in a sheet...have to pull apart every single noodle...pita
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

that and when making fettuccini, it comes out in a sheet...have to pull apart every single noodle...pita
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making pasta is an art, not a science. You have to start the roller on the thickest setting, run the dough through once, fold it lengthwise, run it through again, keep doing it until it comes out smooth, then reduce the thickness and do it again.  You have to run it through 2-3 times on each thickness.  It's the same with all pasta dough, even when using a hand cranked pasta maker.  If the fettuccini cutter isn't working correctly it may be because the dough is too wet, dust it with more flour.  If it's not cutting it through the cutter itself may be defective, I'd send it in for warranty replacement as much as they cost.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Yorkshire pudding!!! Baking AND meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top