Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2015 5:41:25 PM EDT
I think I am going to replace my rusted out smoker and my Weber for one unit.
I know the Big Green Egg seems to be the standard that the others are judged and with a dealer down the road I am leaning that direction.

Before I throw down my cash I want to know if I should be looking at anything else.  I personally don't care for any bells and whistles just something that's simple works like it's supposed to and lasts for a good while.

I don't want to go over a $1000 and right now my local dealer sells the large egg with the nest for $950
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have three BGE's, one of which is 20 yrs old.  Lifetime warranty, and very versatile.  But they are the original, so they command a higher price based off the name and color.  Besides the next, side tables, and other "eggessories", not much has changed in 20 yrs except for the price.  20 years ago I paid $299 with all the accessories.......now it would be over $1000.  The cover was $17.95.....now it's $69.95 and the same crappy vinyl that falls apart after a year.

Competitors have entered the market with some pretty good units for less money.  The Kamado Joe is thicker ceramic, comes with the stand, accessories, etc.....plus you don't have to put it together.  Savings, $200-300 depending on where you shop.  Primo makes a good one too.  Grill Dome's and Saffires are ok.  Some people like the Akorn and Komodo Kamado at the $300 price point, or the $400 Vision they sell at Costco.  If you want the highest end ones, stick with the BGE, KJ, or Primo.  You'll save some money with the latter two without sacrificing any performance or warranty.

A lot of these, especially BGE, makes a ton of money on the accessories.  The good news is that there are enough of them out there that plenty of companies make aftermarket items higher in quality and innovation, and lower in price.  Ceramic Grill Store for the adjustable grill racks, SmokeWare, to name a few.  Several other already have products and BGE just puts their logo on it and raises the price.  BBQ Guru temp controllers are about $300, but $400 if they have the Egg logo.  Same goes for Thermapens, Maverick 732 remote thermos, etc.  Shop around or just ask on EggHeadForum.com

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I primarily do my cooking on a Primo XL and I don't think that you can beat it for the versatility it offers due to the oval shape and the fact that it is made in the USA, but I'm not sure that it falls within your budget. The oval junior might though. I also have a Kamado Joe as an overflow cooker and I like it too for what it is. When I was looking for a round cooker the KJ was cheaper than a BGE.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like in my area the price between the three isn't much different
Those being the large BGE Oval Jr or 18in KJ

I am excluding the the KJ and will have to decide between the other two.   Both are in stock at dealers close by
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of my price range but if I were in the market it would be a Primo. The oval shape offers the ability for true duel zone cooking.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't need a nest or any other stands so I was able to look at the large egg and large oval Primo.
  Lg Egg with no stand is $850 and the Primo was $900 for the large or $750 for the oval jr.

Build quality is pretty much the same
I am leaning towards the Primo being that it's made in the USA I just need to look at their Warrenty.

I don't buy China anytime there is another reasonable option so I'm not going to look at the KJ.
I know some will agree and some will not but it's a personal decision.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't need a nest or any other stands so I was able to look at the large egg and large oval Primo.
  Lg Egg with no stand is $850 and the Primo was $900 for the large or $750 for the oval jr.

Build quality is pretty much the same
I am leaning towards the Primo being that it's made in the USA I just need to look at their Warrenty.

I don't buy China anytime there is another reasonable option so I'm not going to look at the KJ.
I know some will agree and some will not but it's a personal decision.

View Quote

The KJ without the stand comes with all polished stainless steel banding and hardware.  Pretty sharp, but yeah it's made in China.

BGE is made in Mexico, Grill Dome in India, and Primo in the US.

All have the exact same warranty as of a few years ago.  Lifetime on the ceramic, five on the metal, three on ceramic accessories, one on the wood, plastic, temp gauge, and gasket .
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Today I impulse bought a Vision Model S-4C1D1

Home Depot had a promo - sign up for their credit card and get same as cash pricing.  I had about $600 worth of other stuff I needed to buy, so I added this on and got 24 months, no interest.

I hope I did OK.  (Sorry, but Made in China doesn't bother me that much.  I know I'm an ingrate, and a communist, and an all-around horrible person, but hey, that's just how it goes...)
Experience the flavor of Kamado style
cooking.
The Vision Grills Kamado Pro replicates wood oven cooking and
provides flexibility to sear, grill and smoke meats and vegetables as
well as bake pizzas and bread. The Vision Grills Pro zone will take your
grilling experience to a new level with an electric starter port for
lighting ease, dual calibrated draft vents for superior temperature
control and a removable ash drawer for easy clean out. The grill is
constructed of high grade ceramic and delivers 604 sq. in. with 2-tiered
stainless steel flip grates. Includes 2-solid surface drop down
shelves, aluminum alloy calibrated top vent and cart with locking
rollers for mobility and a full length heavy duty vinyl cover.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Home Depot had a promo - sign up for their credit card and get same as cash pricing.  I had about $600 worth of other stuff I needed to buy, so I added this on and got 24 months, no interest.

I hope I did OK.  (Sorry, but Made in China doesn't bother me that much.  I know I'm an ingrate, and a communist, and an all-around horrible person, but hey, that's just how it goes...)

Experience the flavor of Kamado style cooking. The Vision Grills Kamado Pro replicates wood oven cooking and provides flexibility to sear, grill and smoke meats and vegetables as well as bake pizzas and bread. The Vision Grills Pro zone will take your grilling experience to a new level with an electric starter port for lighting ease, dual calibrated draft vents for superior temperature control and a removable ash drawer for easy clean out. The grill is constructed of high grade ceramic and delivers 604 sq. in. with 2-tiered stainless steel flip grates. Includes 2-solid surface drop down shelves, aluminum alloy calibrated top vent and cart with locking rollers for mobility and a full length heavy duty vinyl cover.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/4f/4fe78676-d1c9-4ad4-bf62-465479d71ffe_400.jpg  
View Quote

For what comes on this grill and how it is made, it's a very good buy.
It wasn't available at the time I bought my BGE.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Experience the flavor of Kamado style cooking. The Vision Grills Kamado Pro replicates wood oven cooking and provides flexibility to sear, grill and smoke meats and vegetables as well as bake pizzas and bread. The Vision Grills Pro zone will take your grilling experience to a new level with an electric starter port for lighting ease, dual calibrated draft vents for superior temperature control and a removable ash drawer for easy clean out. The grill is constructed of high grade ceramic and delivers 604 sq. in. with 2-tiered stainless steel flip grates. Includes 2-solid surface drop down shelves, aluminum alloy calibrated top vent and cart with locking rollers for mobility and a full length heavy duty vinyl cover.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/4f/4fe78676-d1c9-4ad4-bf62-465479d71ffe_400.jpg  

Good to hear.  Thanks.  I pick it up next week and will do some cooking on it.  I'll post results.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good to hear.  Thanks.  I pick it up next week and will do some cooking on it.  I'll post results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I didn't see on it was the plate setter, and I know they have one available on their website.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Counting the days I should have the large Primo soon

They are in stock locally but since it's my birthday present my wife is making me wait like it's a suprise
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The only thing I didn't see on it was the plate setter, and I know they have one available on their website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought the lava stone when I bought the grill.

Any advice on seasoning prior to first use?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are in stock locally but since it's my birthday present my wife is making me wait like it's a suprise
View Quote

Cool!  That oval Primo looks really nice.  I love the size.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats! Check out the Primo Grill forum for a lot of great info, techniques, and recipes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told the first time I ever cooked anything at all on the grill to "season it by grilling something fatty the first few times."

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a KamadoJoe (black, which they stopped making, they are all red now). It is awesome. My father has a BGE, mine is nicer than his in many ways and was less money. I would not buy a brand-name BGE any more. IMO an electric starter is a must, along with a cover if you leave it outdoors. Those are the only two extras you would need to buy with a KJ. A BBQ Guru is a nice addition to any Kamado but not completely necessary, more like a "set it and forget it convenience."

Here's my last batch of pork shoulder:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The Kamadojoe models were not cheaper they were all pretty much the same price.
USA
Mexico
China

Easy decision for me I just happened to like the Primo design better. For those who do not care about the country of origin ( some of do some don't) I honestly don't think there is to much difference

The Primo Large is selling for $900 here as a standalone
BGE large is $850 standalone
KJ Classic 18in $1000 with a cheap stand
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Prices must be a lot different in SC. Here the medium BGEs are 850, the large is usually 1100 or so standalone or 1300+ with stand and shelves, whereas the KJ is 1000 with stand and shelves and diffuser plate. I think the BGE shelves are nicer but I don't think the KJ stand is any cheaper than the BGE stand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Prices must be a lot different in SC. Here the medium BGEs are 850, the large is usually 1100 or so standalone or 1300+ with stand and shelves, whereas the KJ is 1000 with stand and shelves and diffuser plate. I think the BGE shelves are nicer but I don't think the KJ stand is any cheaper than the BGE stand.
View Quote

Yeah......all three companies are in ATL, so the dealers need to keep the prices low because of the factory stores.  The prices you mentioned are pretty close or a little higher to what they are in MO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i just bought a Vision classic at Sams for $599, came with the nest, cover,

i really looked hard at the primo and BGE but for half the $, and the all the good reviews, i did the vision.
View Quote

I just bought one for the same reasons.  Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet.  So well packed - there must have been 20 lbs of cardboard.  Looking forward to a test drive.  Hmmm, what to cook first?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
did you assemble by yourself?  lifting it up onto the cart by myself was a bitch
View Quote

Mrs. shooter and I assembled it.  We got it into the nest ok, but wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.  Ordered the lava cooking stone/heat deflector last night.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Bumping for results from people who bought the Vision grill.
My SIL is making her decision...I need feedback!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I dont have any experience with the others, but I have had my BGE almost 2 years now, and the food that comes off of it is always amazing. From perfect BBQ to brick oven style pizza!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i got mine and love it!
View Quote

I have seen one bad review online so far--it complained that the seal overheated and melted.  It also complained that the top venting got "Stuck" open.  
Did you experience anything like that?  Did you get a plate setter and if so, whose?

SIL is going to buy one for my brother.  She specifically asked about clones (I own the BGE) but I saw this one in Sam's and must admit, it looks to be a real good clone for less than half the price.

Any complaints at all?  Setup difficult?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Vision Kamado.  Bought it several years ago when they were at Costco instead of Sams & HD.  I think I paid $569 for it.  Seems like Costco may have been asking them to sell for too little so they went to Sams Club & Home Depot.  I know the model HD carriers is an upgrade from mine; I think the Sams model is as well (I have the "Classic B" Series).

It's a great grill.  Love it.  Use it several times a week.  No problems doing a low and slow cook all day without having to touch the vents or add additional charcoal, but I can also get it up to 500-600 degrees for searing steaks.  

I've also heard of the seals melting but I haven't had that problem.  Honestly now my seal is caked full of grill goodness that it would probably seal itself without a true seal.  And the seals can be purchased and installed yourself for cheap if yours does go bad.  It's on my "someday" list to get a new one and install just for giggles.  

On to the vent.  The one at HD (And I think Sams) has a newer, black vent.  Unsure what it's made of.  Mine is a cheap stainless and yes mine did get 'stuck' closed once.  When trying to push it open, I broke the opener piece.  A phone call to Vision and they 2-day shipped me one no questions asked.  I was inside the 1st year of purchase...unsure if they would do the same for me now that it's a few years old.  I suppose it would be worth a try just to have an extra one.  Again, the 'black' lids may be made differently where you won't have that problem.

I bought a plate setter from Amazon.  Vision makes one but from what I've read it doesn't get the greatest reviews because it's too small and allows too much heat to rise around it.  The one I bought from Amazon only allows about an inch gap between the bowl and the plate setter, really allowing for good indirect cooking.  Just looked and it's discontinued though  However at Sams the other day I did see they had a Vision 'kit' that came with 2 plate setters, a rib rack, electric starter, and a cast iron griddle for like $80 regularly $130.  I almost bought it but don't really "need" any of that stuff.

Setup was easy for myself and a neighbor.  Took us maybe around an hour?  Be careful lifting the grill into the next because they are heavy.  Also be careful moving it around.  The nest does come with locking casters and once I set my grill where I want it and locked the casters, it doesn't move.

Overall I like my grill and would buy one again if something happened to mine.  Is it a knockoff?  Yes.  Does it look food that tastes just as good as my neighbors (He has a BGE)?  Yes it does.  For the price you can't beat it.

If you HAVE to have a BGE, look for "BGE Eggfests" in your area.  They are BGE sponsored cooking events where local people come cook their favorite dish on brand new eggs.  At the end of the event, they sell all the "once used" eggs for a big discount.  Last one I was at sold them for $770 I believe which included a Large egg, nest, cover, ash tool, plate setter, and a bag of lump I believe.

Good luck...let me know if you have any other questions...

Edit: I believe my plate setter was labeled as a pizza stone
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Good information on the Vision above.  Thanks for answering about the vent and letting me know that they stand behind their product and will send a replacement for free!

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Good information on the Vision above.  Thanks for answering about the vent and letting me know that they stand behind their product and will send a replacement for free!

View Quote
If I had a complaint it would be the vent. I would happily buy a nice vent if they offered one. BGE has a cast iron vent that's really nice; I wish vision made one

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Took my Vision (Sam's model) for its maiden voyage yesterday evening. Used the Vision lava stone in its hanger to indirect heat things. Chunks of mesquite mixed with RO charcoal.  Maverick dual probe remote thermometer.

Cooked a large (6 3/4lb) chicken, seasoned and breast side down.  It was easy to keep the grill temp at 425.  It varied up/down by about 5 degrees, which I attribute to big winds we were having.  Pulled the chicken at 165 to rest for 15 minutes.

Dinner was excellent!  Juicy and flavorful.  I'm looking forward to getting to know my new grill much better.

The thermometer on the hood is not what I will rely on.  Placing the Maverick probe on the grill where the meat was showed a 30 degree difference, so I would definitely recommend using some kind of different temperature reading device other than the one supplied.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My SIL is checking this thread--so keep it coming!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I have never had a ceramic version of a Kamado, but I have the metal and insulated version called an Akorn
This is mine, Akorn but it appears to be discontinued. I know menards and home depot both carry these now, I think the side tables are just different material.

I love it! It takes a little getting used to, but I think that is just the type of grill in general. Once you learn to properly build the fire and bring it to temp, it is completely rock solid. I still keep an eye out for a good deal on a ceramic one, but i am not looking quite as hard as I used to be. Being a metal grill, I would definitely get a good cover for it as its biggest long term enemy will probably be rust.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have never had a ceramic version of a Kamado, but I have the metal and insulated version called an Akorn

This is mine, Akorn but it appears to be discontinued. I know menards and home depot both carry these now, I think the side tables are just different material.

I love it! It takes a little getting used to, but I think that is just the type of grill in general. Once you learn to properly build the fire and bring it to temp, it is completely rock solid. I still keep an eye out for a good deal on a ceramic one, but i am not looking quite as hard as I used to be. Being a metal grill, I would definitely get a good cover for it as its biggest long term enemy will probably be rust.
View Quote
I have an Akorn, too. It's the least expensive way to check out Kamado cooking to see if you like it. I love mine. No rust yet but I take precautions to prevent rust. I love it. It sips charcoal and makes food that's amazing.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a stainless chimney cap and a light coming for my Kamado Joe. Last weekend I had to rig up a pie tin over the vent because rain moved in while I was smoking.

http://smokeware.net/cart.html

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I finally got set up and some cooking done on the new grill.
I ended up buying the Primo round Kamado..  I had planed on the Lg oval but changed my mind at the last min.

I was able to get a killer deal since one of our appliance suppliers is a dealer which just sweetened the deal.  Honestly I don't think that the brands wise there is much difference but
the made in the USA give me more pride of ownership so take that how you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top