Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2015 4:04:57 PM EDT
Spent a large part of yesterday making tamales with my daughter. We used a Rick Bayless recipe for chicken tamales with a salsa verde. Not bad, particularly fresh from the steamer. The learning curve was pretty steep, but we got a decent product by the end. Any pro tips or experiences to be had here? Pork is up next.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure and season the masa also
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much nothing but salt added to the masa
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#3]
They freeze really well.

I make a bunch at a time, wrap enough for a meal in plastic and foil, then reheat in the oven.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the liquid the pork cooks in to mix with the masa, extra flavor for free.

Use lard.

Hardest part is getting the perfect layer of masa so that the filling to masa ratio is perfect.

Even a disastrous tamale usually tastes pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I use cumin and chili powder in mine and chicken stock to make it workable. Makes all the difference in the world.

Wrapping tamales in corn husks is tedious...and keeps tamales relatively small. I experimented with making BIG tamales, including a corn husk for flavor....but wrapping them in plastic food wrap. They were steamed right in the plastic wrap....and they were damned good.  Not traditional...but much less labor intensive and we really couldn't discern much difference in taste.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use cumin and chili powder in mine and chicken stock to make it workable. Makes all the difference in the world.

Wrapping tamales in corn husks is tedious...and keeps tamales relatively small. I experimented with making BIG tamales, including a corn husk for flavor....but wrapping them in plastic food wrap. They were steamed right in the plastic wrap....and they were damned good.  Not traditional...but much less labor intensive and we really couldn't discern much difference in taste.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected on seasoning the masa, daughter reminded me we used chicken stock.

The plastic wrapper is something that crossed my mind.

My technique needs work to improve the masa to filling ratio. The wife liked them a lot, and she has never liked tamales previously. Just finished off the last one, had to split it with my wife

We will definitely do this again
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
When mixing the masa,... Whip on high sped for several minutes. Stop the machine and feta small ball of your masa. Drop into a bowl of water. If it floats its ready. If it sinks... Keep mixing until it floats.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I like to whip the lard as if I were making icing adding small amounts of the stock that I cooked the pork/chix then fold in the masa.

I like the corn husks but prefer banana leaves it gives the masa a nice sweet flavor. It is a more central/south American way but it is easier than screwing w/ the husks you just fold them.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Where are you guys getting the masa/masa harina?  I had this lunatic idea of growing corn this year and making my own.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
This art is on my list of skills to gain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Grocery stores here all seem to have it in stock.  If you need some shoot me an IM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you guys getting the masa/masa harina?  I had this lunatic idea of growing corn this year and making my own.

Grocery stores here all seem to have it in stock.  If you need some shoot me an IM.

Will do.  I've never looked for it specifically so we may have some locally.  We have a great local Mexican place and I love their tamales.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the best I've used:

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]

I'll look for it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Same here. I went to Mexican Grocery and looked at the Masa they had and purchased the most depleted varitey. I've tried other brands and they are pretty much the same, but i normally will do the "when in Rome..." style shopping when I am not sure. Wal-mart carries this brand too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
splash of adobo always help
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like to whip the lard as if I were making icing adding small amounts of the stock that I cooked the pork/chix then fold in the masa.

I like the corn husks but prefer banana leaves it gives the masa a nice sweet flavor. It is a more central/south American way but it is easier than screwing w/ the husks you just fold them.
View Quote

How do you keep them closed?  You won't believe this, but a friend of mine had a greenhouse here in NH and was growing banana trees in it.  I have 5 potted banana plants.  I put them out when the nighttime temperatures stay about 50.  I planned on making steamed dishes with them so this may be something to try.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I use Maseca and add chicken stock and some enchilada sauce when I mix it.  My most recent tamale creations use smoked pulled pork.

Every year I see Mexicans standing in line to purchase Masa that is already prepared.  Their tamales are not any better than mine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I like my tamales wrapped in banana leaves, less tedious and no need to soak other than to thaw. Also a nice sweet flavor.

Use the pork broth in the masa. I like to whip the lard then slowly add some of the juice. It creates a very light tamale. It is akin to making frosting, but you cannot go to far or it will break then it gets grainy. It takes some trial and error to see how far you can take it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#21]
just made a few dozen and used green corn husks to steam them in. i think it gave a little sweeter corn flavor.  oriental grocery stores usually have steamer pots for sale pretty cheap; i've cooked 10 dozen in mine before. i cook my pork in chicken stock and water with chopped garlic, onion and peppers and reduce the  stock when done for gravy. remember, a little salt goes a long way when reducing stocks. you can thicken your stock and stretch it a little with a slurry of water and dry masa. i'd post pictures but my tamales don't last long, ever.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know why I dbl posted Eh anyway

We just fold them no real need to tye them closed.Get a rectangle add masa, meat, masa, and fold. I cook them in a pot w/ a SS bowl in the center to keep them out of the water. Once the water is boiling add bowl tamales cover and steam. I try to stand them up but w/ the bowl it is hard so I just line the sides then fill in where I can.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
In for pics of the next batch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I prefer corn oil to lard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top