Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 10:49:13 PM EDT
Found an old gem today: macaroni and cheese recipe from my mother's falling apart copy of "The Joy of Cooking". Book is easily 40-50 years old.

Lots of grated sharp cheddar. REAL butter. Topped with fresh breadcrumbs tossed in more REAL butter.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well? Are you going to share the recipe or just rub it in our face? C'mon OP!

Seriously, I love mac and cheese, and if you could share the recipe that would be most kind. Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I love mac, i make mine from a bechamel cheedar sauce and start from there. Cant give away all my secrets
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Macaroni and Cheese

Recipe from "The Joy Of Cooking" (1970 edition)

Preheat oven to 350F

Grease or non-stick spray a 1.5 - 2 quart baking dish

Grate 2-1/2 cups sharp cheddar or colby (or both) and set aside

In a small skillet melt 1 TBS butter and stir in 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs until coated and lightly toasted. set aside.

Cook 2 cups (8 oz.) elbow macaroni slightly salted water until just tender. Drain, toss with a little olive oil or butter, and set aside.

FOR THE BECHAMEL SAUCE:

In a large saucepan (it's going to hold all that macaroni) melt 2 TBS butter and whisk in 2 tsp all-purpose flour. Cook for 3 minutes. Add:

2 cups milk
1/2 cup minced onion
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp sweet paprika

Gently simmer for 15 minutes stirring often. Add 2/3 of the grated cheese and stir adding salt and pepper to taste. Then stir in the macaroni.

Pour half the macaroni into the baking dish and layer with half the remaining cheese. Add the remaining macaroni and then top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.

Bake for 30-35 minutes and then let stand for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I'm going to make it for the family. My wife does not like mac and cheese, maybe this will change her mind.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I make something similar with smoked Gouda and bacon bits, it fabulous.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Kraft Mac and Cheese and their orange powder ilk are for amateurs.

If you're gonna do it, do it right...or don't do it at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^^^^^ This man gets it
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Seashell macaroni.

Equal parts sharp cheddar and muenster

Heavy whipping cream

Lots of thick cut bacon, sliced to about 3/4 inch, then cooked in frying pan

Heat water for macaroni, then put cream and cheeses (diced or shredded) in big sauce pan and slowly bring to boil. Fry the bacon, then drain fat.

Mix when components are cooked. Cheese is VERY oily and doesn't reheat well. (Oil slick) Not good for leftovers.

For a little extra something pour it into a casserole dish and top with crush Ritz crackers, then bake until the top just starts to brown.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Heavy Cream; Chicken Broth; Smoked Gouda; Cream Cheese; White Cheddar; Sometimes bacon - sometimes not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

leave my orange powder alone! I don't like gritty homemade stuff, it needs to be smooth.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's the only way my daughter will eat M&C but she's the same girl that will only eat tacos from taco hell (but not from a good Mexican restaurant). I know, no accounting for taste?

I may have to try this one. I have been looking for a great homemade M&C recipe but haven't found one that I love yet that wasn't overly complicated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I do the bechamel method works great and is easy and fairly cheap. The wife makes mac and cheese that costs like 25 dollars to make it has like 4 lbs of cheese, 12 eggs, heavy cream, ect I can't be around when she makes it. Oh and she cannot make it for 4 people either it has to be for 30 people. Then it is baked in a deep dish cassarole until the sides are golden. It is good and I like the corners as they are crunchy and gooey but i just cannot watch it being made.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

leave my orange powder alone! I don't like gritty homemade stuff, it needs to be smooth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bechamel sauce is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn me to hell if you must, but I kinda like macaroni with chunks of plain old Velveeta thrown in to melt.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy smokes OP.  I was just thinking about my father's mac 'n cheese recipe the other week.

I'm heading to my folk's house this afternoon and will be sure to photo copy his masterpiece.  I can remember it taking over an hour to make.  By the time he and I put our fork in for the first time, the top was almost black from the ground pepper.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
tag for dinner
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seashell macaroni.

Heavy whipping cream

Heat water for macaroni, then put cream and cheeses (diced or shredded) in big sauce pan and slowly bring to boil. Fry the bacon, then drain fat.

Mix when components are cooked. Cheese is VERY oily and doesn't reheat well. (Oil slick) Not good for leftovers.

For a little extra something pour it into a casserole dish and top with crush Ritz crackers, then bake until the top just starts to brown.
View Quote

It is when you bread it in panko and then pan fry it in bacon grease. Old thread about leftover mac and cheese.

Leftovers
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
It's REALLY good when you add 2 lbs of cubed lobster meat
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's REALLY good when you add 2 lbs of cubed lobster meat
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you could make a flip-flop taste good by adding 2 lbs of lobster meat.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is when you bread it in panko and then pan fry it in bacon grease. Old thread about leftover mac and cheese.

Leftovers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seashell macaroni.

Heavy whipping cream

Leftovers

Then put it on a burger
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
For the record guys it's a modified Mornay sauce. Bechamel becomes Mornay when you add cheese and heavy cream (true Mornay calls for specific kinds of cheeses).

The more you know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top