Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 2:28:20 PM EDT
I've had the same krupps coffee grinder for over 20 years which I use on a daily basis for my one cup of drip coffee.  The krupps basically flails the beans to death and the only control that you have is how long you push the button.  

There are a bunch of models on Amazon for under a $100 but would like a recommendation from someone that has one long term.  A burr grinder to me that will give a uniform consistent grind and last.

Price point under a $100 and this is will used primarily to make enough bean for one to two drip cups a day.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Cuisinart  and it has been fine.

watch this vid to see how to sharpen the burr.

http://youtu.be/i6XJhgoFvIE

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You will not notice the flavor difference. Spend the money if you want, anyway, but this is like saying that shaking or stirring bruises the gin compared to the other method. It's completely mythical, IMO. Not one palate in 10,000-10,000,000 can in double-blind testing taste the difference. Does that describe your palate? If not, just do what you will knowing that the phantom difference you think you taste is a phantom. That is my opinion as a flavor-aware serious foodie owner of a hand-cranked burr grinder (believe the fuck out of me that I do not overheat my beans cranking that fucker by hand), and you are entitled to whatever opinion rocks your boat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate the fines/dust the whirlybird grinders make because it seems like so much gets through the screen on my French press.  A burr grinder is great for that.

I like my Bodum burr grinder so much I brought it into the field on the project I'm working on out of state.
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425001692&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+burr+grinder
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
For drip? Had a Jura-Capresso Infinity that worked great. For drip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the replys.  I looked at the Cuisinart at BBB and I ended up getting the Capresso infinity conical burr grinder at BBB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top