Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2015 1:34:43 PM EDT
Looking at either a medium or large, price difference is only $100 between the two and $15 difference between the nest for them.

Tell me about your egg?

pros cons...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the biggest one or you'll wish you had
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a medium, large, and XL........get the Large.  

The Medium is fine if it's just two, and you don't want leftovers.  Large is the way to go if you're cooking for 4 or you want leftovers.  If you're smoking or get a rack system from Ceramic Grill Store, you can easily double those numbers, but most accessories are made for the Large.  The XL is fine for grilling, but I do not like it for smoking--too many hot spots or lack thereof.  It's not all enough either--the radius of the lid doesn't allow you to get close to the edges.

If I had it to do over, I would have 2 or 3 Larges.  Much more options.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the large.  

Christmas brought me a new Large Egg.  Added to the XL I already had .  BTW its never just one.  The mini i had before went to Mom's house

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the XL---for me its too big...I rarely use that much realestate and it take a lot to get tht much ceramic heated up.
if only cooking for two, get med...if four, prob go large.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info so far. I am thinking when the time comes, I am going for the large.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of competition has entered the market on kamado style cookers.  Check out the Kamado Joe and Primo as well.  Both were started by ex-BGE guys and have been around for a long time.  They offer identical warranties and are less money.  The KJ comes with stand, adjustable grill rack, ash tool, etc.  All of that stuff is extra on the BGE.  BGE has a lot more "eggessories", but most of it is just rebrand stuff painted green with the price doubled.

I'm not knocking the BGE's, I have three--they're awesome.  Got the first one for with all the accessories for $299 in 1994.  The cover was $17.....now it's $80 and still the same junk vinyl.  All I've seen is the price go up every year for the past 20 yrs with little innovation to the actual cooker.  They sell a lifestyle and status symbol now, so good for them.  These other guys offer the same "shell" and thermodynamic qualities for less money.  You'll find there are plenty of aftermarket accessories that work on all of them.  Smokeware.net, ceramicgrillstore.com, etc.

Whichever one you get, you'll love it.  Give me a shout if you ever need a temperature controller.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a large.  Would probably get the Kamado Joe if I had to do it again, more included out of the box.  I still love it, use it 3-4 times a week March-October and maybe once a week through the winter.  Everything from smoking pork butts at 225 to searing steaks at 900.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
They are overpriced, but I love mine. I hardly use the oven at all any more. If you get any accessories at all get the plate setter. Much of the other stuff like their charcoal, and wireless meat thermometer can be found elsewhere for much less money.  Plenty of heat even on the coldest days in winter. Steaks at 750*, burgers at 500*, chicken at 375*, ribs and pork shoulder at 225* Don't discount grilled vegetables just parboil, brush on olive oil, add your favorite rub and stick them on skewers. Little potatoes and brussel sprouts are perfect for this. Mushrooms brushed very generously with olive oil are awesome on the egg.

At temps over 400* make sure you burp the egg before swinging the lid wide open. Don't leave your egg unattended with the vents wide open, it can and will get extremely hot if you forget about it for even a few minutes. When your learning to dial in the temperature remember that your food acts like a heat sink temporarily lowering your temp.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are overpriced, but I love mine. I hardly use the oven at all any more. If you get any accessories at all get the plate setter.

View Quote

Get the aftermarket cast iron one.  Doubles as a griddle and will never break.  I've had two BGE ceramic plate setters break at the leg.  Some people JB weld them, but I broke the other two legs off and made a pizza stone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a med and a large.  I absolutely love them.  If I was to have to decide between those two sizes, I would go large hands down.  Many more accessories available for the large than the med.

These are mine. I still use a gas grill for quick weeknight cooks, but weekends are strictly egg time.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I have a large - wish I had the XL, although I have not run out of room.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same thing, but wait until you cook on it.  You're not going to like it as much as the Large.  The firebox is so shallow (6'), it's easy to gets hot spots......and the back half is always hotter than the front half.   I like it for grilling, but I won't use it for smoking.

If you put a XL and a L next to each other, you'll see the Large is actually taller.  XL is a Medium stretched out in the middle.  They have changed the XL several times by making a steeper radius on the lid and reducing the height of the firebox & fire ring so you can actually close it.  It used to be you could put more pork butts or ribs on a Large than you could an XL because you couldn't get out toward the edges without the lid hitting it.  They fixed all of this on the XXL, but it weighs a ton and is $5000.  You can get several Larges for that, but I still might get one.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out the Kamado Joe, you will be very impressed with everything it comes with.

The divide and conquer cooking set up that comes with it is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Go with the large and build a table for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a pizza cooked on mine.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for advice so far, decided to go large when I get one. I have a bonus check at the end of this month so I am waiting to see how much it will be then decide to take the plunge.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for advice so far, decided to go large when I get one. I have a bonus check at the end of this month so I am waiting to see how much it will be then decide to take the plunge.
View Quote

Not sure where you are in OK, but check out the Kamado Joe "Classic" while you're waiting.  It may save you $200-300 for the same sized "egg"......that's money you can't put toward "eggessories", charcoal, and MEAT that you're going to need anyway.  BGE is great too, but you're paying more for the color.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the medium egg with Shelves.  I live by myself and didn't need anything larger.  If you are married, I'd definitely go with the Large though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a BGE but am envious of them. 2 years ago I got an Akorn (a double walled steel version of an egg) for smoking & grilling and I love that thing.  It is far more efficient than my off-set smoker (still like that one too though because it is big). I bought the Akorn because I wasn't convinced that an egg could justify its high price.  Then last year I went to a weekend motorcycle event out in the country that I was invited to and there was a guy there that had this little miniature version of the Akorn for camping and I thought it was genius and had never seen one.  It was small and light and absolutely perfect for camping for a couple of people.

Anyway, I told my girlfriend about how cool I thought it was and so she went looking for it as a Christmas present for me. She didn't actually find that one but she found something that was just exactly the same size but is actually totally ceramic like an egg but is called a Kahuna. It is a fair bit heavier because it is ceramic (50lbs) than the little Akorn and more delicate than it too, but what I didn't realize is how frickin awesome it is.  It is super efficient, fantastic to work with,  and we have used the crap out of it exclusively since Christmas.  

It'll be just a little more difficult to pack for camping but it convinced me that the BGE is well worth the money.  I just don't want to have to pack a BGE to be mobile and camping but I can do it with the Kahuna. The Kahuna has a 19" cooking surface which is just fine for the two of us. But I know I'll be buying a BGE too for at home when we have guests and it will be the biggest one they make.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top