Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2015 2:38:54 AM EDT
so was a female friends house, and she was using an Aroma brand rice cooker to make shumai dumplings (sweedish chick that learned it from her phillipino ex husband, but I think he called it sio mai), anyways, it got me thinking that a rice cooker/steamer would be nice to have since I like to cook quinoa, and would be nice to steam veggies or a piece of fish while it cooks as im trying to lose weight and so far im 60lbs down . my thought was to go with this one, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W22KF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PYM9ZG8MO429&coliid=I3247DZJ2ARUX9&psc=1 since it offers the 1L version or an almost double size for $8 more, but im not sure if I get more space for the steamer portion or only the rice section of the cooker, or do I go with the cheap $30 steamer. I wont be using it daily, but I would like to have something for the long term. Also how energy efficient is it over cooking quinoa stovetop.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Get an Instant Potinstead.

Much more functionality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Cooked-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/ref=pd_sbs_k_52?ie=UTF8&refRID=12K0V6AVP506RYRR98E2

It does real well and it's a steamer and slow cooker too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Cooked-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/ref=pd_sbs_k_52?ie=UTF8&refRID=12K0V6AVP506RYRR98E2

It does real well and it's a steamer and slow cooker too.
View Quote

I've been using this one for nearly 2 years now and I make white rice 3-4 times a weeks. Yea...I'm chinese.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell I am white as rice snow and I can make great rice in a standard pot on the stove.

Takes about 10 mins and I can whip out 3/4 servings.

I can make more .... but I specialize in the small batches. Been dieting lately so not so much rice getting cooked around my place.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hell I am white as rice snow and I can make great rice in a standard pot on the stove.

I can make more .... but I specialize in the small batches. Been dieting lately so not so much rice getting cooked around my place.
View Quote

I can make decent rice. But I prefer a set it and forget it approach as I'm usually cooking other pans at the same time so it's done all st the same time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
We cook a lot of rice down here in Louisiana.  I can't see paying more than $50 for an 8 cup rice cooker.  Just about any of them will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get an Instant Potinstead.

Much more functionality.
View Quote

this

"
I was in the same boat....looking for rice cooker, but trying to avoid the "single" use device.
it makes the best rice I have had...but I only have cooking it on the stove to compare with...

I like it
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can make decent rice. But I prefer a set it and forget it approach as I'm usually cooking other pans at the same time so it's done all st the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use the microwave. Its incredibly easy and comes out perfect.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Previous threads have recommended the Zojirushi models as being most excellent. I use mine frequently.

I think mine is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISPBXDM/ref=psdc_678540011_t1_B0074CDG6C

Buy this Rice at Samsclub.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Zojirushi.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Zojirushi knock-off and it has been awesome.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Black and Decker Handy Steamer

Don't let that price fool you.  Most of the WalMarts around here have them and they are super affordable.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so was a female friends house, and she was using an Aroma brand rice cooker to make shumai dumplings (sweedish chick that learned it from her phillipino ex husband, but I think he called it sio mai), anyways, it got me thinking that a rice cooker/steamer would be nice to have since I like to cook quinoa, and would be nice to steam veggies or a piece of fish while it cooks as im trying to lose weight and so far im 60lbs down . my thought was to go with this one, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W22KF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PYM9ZG8MO429&coliid=I3247DZJ2ARUX9&psc=1 since it offers the 1L version or an almost double size for $8 more, but im not sure if I get more space for the steamer portion or only the rice section of the cooker, or do I go with the cheap $30 steamer. I wont be using it daily, but I would like to have something for the long term. Also how energy efficient is it over cooking quinoa stovetop.
View Quote

I use that same one.  Get that one!  Zojirushi!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Zojirushi.
View Quote

This is correct answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top