Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 7:32:12 PM EDT
Ok...I really love middle eastern food.  Recently I decided to try my hand at making some and it turned out awesome.  

I made some Shawarma that was so good that I need to try out some other recipies, where is a good online resource for good recipies?

This is the recipie that I used:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lamb-shawarma/
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I too love middle eastern food, I would like to find a really solid cook book on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
+1...I love Mid Eastern food
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Mmmmmm, love me some ME cooking.  Oddly enough, the various regions are known for better or worse cooking.  The Lebonese had some  darn tasty chow, but cooks from Yemen were the worst.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are a few really simple ones I cook.

Shish Taouk

Cube 2-3 chicken breast and marinate in
1 cup Mayo or Greek yogurt.
7 or 8 cloves of crushed garlic.
Small can of tomato paste
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons of a spice called Sumac
Marinate over night, put on skewers and grill.

Kafta

1lb ground beef and 1lb ground pork or lamb
Finely dice a large onion.
About 1/3 cup of finely chopped parsley
Tablespoon of allspice
1/2 tablespoon cumin
Form around skewers and grill.

For a side I like something I think is called eeg

Put 1 cup of #1 bulgur wheat in a bowl and put it on the side.
Dice an onion and caramelize it
Take a small can of tomato paste and put it in a sauce pan. Fill the empty can up with water 2 1/2 times. Salt and pepper to taste and bring to a hard boil.
Chop up some green onion and parsley
Pour the boiling tomato sauce over the bulgur and mix. cover the bowl and let sit.
once tender mix in the onion and a few table spoons of olive oil and garnish with the green onion and parsley.

The Syrian Melkite Catholic Church put out a cookbook a few years ago called Cooking Good with Sitto. It's a great cookbook if you can find a copy.    

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
indian food is good
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I could eat my weight in jeweled rice.  

F the Ayatollah and all his cohort.  Persian food is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That falafel recipie looks great.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Here are a few really simple ones I cook.

Shish Taouk

Cube 2-3 chicken breast and marinate in

1 cup Mayo or Greek yogurt.

7 or 8 cloves of crushed garlic.

Small can of tomato paste

Juice of 1 lemon

4 tablespoons of a spice called Sumac

Marinate over night, put on skewers and grill.

Kafta

Tablespoon of allspice

1/2 tablespoon cumin

For a side I like something I think is called eeg

Put 1 cup of #1 bulgur wheat in a bowl and put it on the side.

Dice an onion and caramelize it

Take a small can of tomato paste and put it in a sauce pan. Fill the empty can up with water 2 1/2 times. Salt and pepper to taste and bring to a hard boil.

Chop up some green onion and parsley

Pour the boiling tomato sauce over the bulgur and mix. cover the bowl and let sit.

once tender mix in the onion and a few table spoons of olive oil and garnish with the green onion and parsley.

The Syrian Melkite Catholic Church put out a cookbook a few years ago called Cooking Good with Sitto. It's a great cookbook if you can find a copy.    

View Quote
LOL there is a copy on amazon for $280

I made your recipe for Shish Taouk, very delicious but I feel like the marinade was enough for 2 lbs. I will probably halve the recipe for 1lb next time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, over the weekend I picked up a couple of cookbooks, one is all Moroccan street food, the other is all Persian recipes.  As I make some of the stuff in them, I'll post up pics as well as the recipes here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kafta

Tablespoon of allspice
1/2 tablespoon cumin
View Quote

I'm a big kafta fan.  Serve over rice or on nan with more parsley and yogurt.  I usually add chili or cayenne powder to spice up the meat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Another easy one is what we called Dirty Bread. Mom would make it for me as an after school snack

Dirty Bread

Can of biscuit dough.
Mix zaatar and olive oil into a paste.
Open the can of biscuits and roll them out thin. Spread the mix thick and then bake until golden brown.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I too love middle eastern food, I would like to find a really solid cook book on the subject.
View Quote

The New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden. I've had this one for years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandmother in law is 100% Lebanese and makes a dish they call molokhia, although that's just an ingredient. You buy molokhia dried in a box and the first step is to boil it until it is rehydrated. Cube lamb into bite sized pieces and brown it in the bottom of a large pot with a lot of minced garlic and some butter. Season with salt, pepper, and allspice. When the molokhia is rehydrated, drain it and rinse with cold water. Add to the browned lamb and cover with chicken broth. Let simmer for a while and add the juice of a couple lemons. Serve over white rice. I use half a box of the molokhia to 3-4lbs of lamb.

Molokhia is like Arabic spinach. It's really good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top