Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 1:16:22 AM EDT
My wife and I are remodeling my father's house after he passed, which has been a truly sobering thing and a ton of work, but has given us the chance to build it just how we both want it. We're tearing out the electric range and electric oven my dad had, and switching it out with a freestanding range. I've used the old electric coil cooktops and hated them. I've also used gas, and love it. But looking around, we got to looking at the benefits of induction cooktops and the salesmen were talking them up pretty well as essentially having all the benefits of gas, none of the downsides, ect.

So here's the question to those of you who really do a lot of cooking and know your stuff. Are they trying to make a sale for a higher priced unit, or is this legit? Is induction preferable to gas for those who really use their equipment and enjoy cooking? Anything to look out for?

Also, for relevance, I already have a 220v connection at the location of the range. If I go gas as originally planned, i'd need to pay $550 or so to have a gas line run to the appliance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally enjoy nat gas cooking. I have a nat gas range/oven, fireplace, grill, hot water heater, and 2 HVAC units. If you do plumb for gas, think about extending out to your backyard patio for the grill. It's great not to have to fill bottles and running out of LP in the middle of a BBQ. One additional thing about gas is, it generally still works during a power outage. Not an everyday thing, but is it's real nice to have hot water and be able to cook indoors or outdoors during an emergency.

I've only used induction once at my daughters house. It wasn't bad. I guess I could get used to it. It was very expensive, though. My Mom had an induction cooktop maybe 10 years ago and took it out and replaced it with nat gas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
For me, I'd go Nat Gas, I run a BBQ shack and use it there. I have coil's and inductions at my house. when/if I remodel ts all going to gas, and I'll look at a gas deep-fryer as well. I do ALOT of cooking at the house to when I play with new items for my menu.

Clint
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas. Some induction burners require special cookware, gas is cheaper, gas works when the power is out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I cannot stand a gas oven... wastes way too much energy to get hotter temperatures and sucks in the summer; while your air-conditioner is pumping away to keep the house cool you're literally almost continuously firing a large gas burner inside your house just to keep the oven warm. Electric ovens operate much more efficiently because the heat source is sealed inside the insulated enclosure of the oven and there is very minimal air-exchange taking place.

That being said, I do understand the added convenience of having it still work when the power goes out. But you have to ask yourself, how often do you lose power WHILE cooking? I've lived in my house for 6 years and it's only happened to me once. I just finished the cooking process on the grill. IMHO that is a moot point for me and wouldn't even factor into making the decision; it may be a critical factor for you.

That brings us to conduction. Yes, you have to work around a few oddities, most importantly they only work with certain cookware (ferrous metals) so your aluminum, copper, & some stainless won't work unless they were made specifically to work with induction by placing a large slug of steel inside during the manufacturing. The benefit is that reportedly heats items on the stove-top almost as quickly gas but with much greater efficiency and you get the benefit of having an electric oven without choosing the highly expensive and rare gas top + elec. oven combination.

IMHO, in your situation, if most of your cookware is induction compatible, it's a no-brainer option to choose the induction. You save ~$500 right off the top for choosing any non-gas option.

Even if your cookware isn't compatible the cost savings may still break even after replacing the non-compatible cookware.

That being said, choose your induction unit wisely. Take several of your pots to the store and try them on the unit to make sure things will work how you want them. Also be ware that some induction cooktops are notorious for making irritating wining noises from the AC induction. Try to educate yourself on which units do this and avoid those.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Get a commercial gas range with 6 burners and a convection oven. Buy once, cry once.

For serious cooking, gas is the only heat source that allows instant temperature changes. Electric and induction have a big lag. They aren't conducive to fine temperature changes required for good sauce work nor do the have the btu's that nat gas or propane have.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a commercial gas range with 6 burners and a convection oven. Buy once, cry once.

For serious cooking, gas is the only heat source that allows instant temperature changes. Electric and induction have a big lag. They aren't conducive to fine temperature changes required for good sauce work nor do the have the btu's that nat gas or propane have.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/garland-g36-6c-6-burner-36-gas-range-with-convection-oven/372G366C.html

View Quote

careful with commercial ranges--- many need like 6" clearance all around and pretty much fireproof walls next to it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

careful with commercial ranges--- many need like 6" clearance all around and pretty much fireproof walls next to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/garland-g36-6c-6-burner-36-gas-range-with-convection-oven/372G366C.html

That is why you buy a residential rated commercial range.  DCS, Wolf, Vulcan, etc. all sell properly insulated zero clearance gas stoves.  They are more pricey than a standard commercial range, but they will not burn your house down.

With that you also need at least 600 cfm for a range hood.  In some areas, code will require that you add a make up air handler to your hvac.  I didn't, but I can see why it is a good idea.  I use Vent A Hood, but there are several good brands on the market now.  Vent a Hood uses two squirel cage blowers and has a built in grease trap.  These are flame proof.  I have burned stuff to carbon on my stove and didn't have  whiff of smoke in the house.  (It really fucked up my steam pot)

Cooking with gas is the best.  It is even better with commercial high btu burners.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I personally enjoy nat gas cooking. I have a nat gas range/oven, fireplace, grill, hot water heater, and 2 HVAC units. If you do plumb for gas, think about extending out to your backyard patio for the grill. It's great not to have to fill bottles and running out of LP in the middle of a BBQ. One additional thing about gas is, it generally still works during a power outage. Not an everyday thing, but is it's real nice to have hot water and be able to cook indoors or outdoors during an emergency.

I've only used induction once at my daughters house. It wasn't bad. I guess I could get used to it. It was very expensive, though. My Mom had an induction cooktop maybe 10 years ago and took it out and replaced it with nat gas.
View Quote

+1    Natural  gas  would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy a gas stove/electric oven. Ask your gas company, they have deals on appliances at times. Our gas company charges a flat 19.00 to install a gas appliance. Oven, Dryer, water heater, logs, grill all 19.00. they run the lines and connect everything.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Electric and induction have a big lag.
View Quote

How does induction have a big lag? Seems pretty instant to me.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It lags all the time your power is out. Gas...not so much.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a factor. Power outages are rare enough that should one occur, I'd use the grill or camp stove.

Is that really what you meant when you said it has a big lag?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
For those that have induction... what make/model do you have?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is way faster than gas stove top.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Gas.....Don't have to worry about certain pans being incompatible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gas.....Don't have to worry about certain pans being incompatible.
View Quote

It just has to be magnetic, not magical.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer gas.
It works with every pot, pan, and skillet I own - plus it works when there is a power outage (which occurs more often than I like during our monsoon season).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I prefer gas.It works with every pot, pan, and skillet I own - plus it works when there is a power outage (which occurs more often than I like during our monsoon season).
View Quote

If my power went often enough that it was a consideration in what type of stove I buy, I'd get a generator.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Gas has more advantages, IMO. I'd prolly end up cracking the glass induction cooktop since I move the pans around, and I use the open flame for peppers, cooking tortillas, and even searing meat on occasion. I'm still thinking about getting an induction hot plate thing to try out sometime, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If my power went often enough that it was a consideration in what type of stove I buy, I'd get a generator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer gas.It works with every pot, pan, and skillet I own - plus it works when there is a power outage (which occurs more often than I like during our monsoon season).

Probably uses oil lamps instead of light bulbs, and an ice box instead of a refrigerator as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top