Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:07:01 AM EDT
what to do with one of those tapered cans of salmon? Salmon cakes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chef-Johns-Salmon-Cakes/Detail.aspx?src=VD_Summary

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]

One of my favorite meals: Salmon patties, fried potatoes and peas.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
that is today's lunch actually..salmon cakes, some corn Cobbett's and something green..
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That sounds pretty tasty.  I may need to try it sometime, as it sounds like a good way to make use of canned salmon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sounds pretty tasty.  I may need to try it sometime, as it sounds like a good way to make use of canned salmon.
View Quote

I love salmon patties for breakfast, make some gravy and biscuits and over easy fried eggs...yummmm!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
How did that work out with the capers?  I love salmon and capers but never thought of putting the two together.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder if salmon can be replaced with mackerel? Had mackerel cakes for lunch years ago in Memphis. They were great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder if salmon can be replaced with mackerel? Had mackerel cakes for lunch years ago in Memphis. They were great.
View Quote

I've always wanted to try mackerel that way. Was your mackerel cakes prepared like salmon patties?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've always wanted to try mackerel that way. Was your mackerel cakes prepared like salmon patties?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes .That was the only time I had those mackerel cakes and they were delicious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I always made them with egg and crackers but recently tried the Zatarain's mix. Pretty darn good. Made them more spicy. Not hot, just more flavorful.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I always made them with egg and crackers but recently tried the Zatarain's mix. Pretty darn good. Made them more spicy. Not hot, just more flavorful.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-45e5/k2-_b5cda931-b946-466e-a001-aee10bd77e87.v1.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting, I'll have to look for this!

StogerMan, i'll try that mackerel next time I buy canned salmon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I love me some salmon patties. I like green onion and bacon in mine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have truly tried, but I really can't  get past a small bite of a salmon cake.

Otherwise, I love fish of all types. I even start salivating at just the thought of a big slab of smoked salmon. I just cant get salmon cakes past my lips.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Just like making crab cakes you just do not want to put too much breading in or they become bricks. Eggs and bread/cracker crumbs are binder to hold them together.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
that looks delicious!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How did that work out with the capers?  I love salmon and capers but never thought of putting the two together.
View Quote

Having this recipe for lunch today. Will report.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I may have to make this for Friday's Lenten dinner meal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
They were very, very good. The capers add the barest "zing" considering they were rinsed and chopped up if you omitted them you probably wouldn't miss them.

NOTE: the mixture came out very "wet". This is probably because i did not drain the Salmon very well and the half lemon I used was HUGE. I ended up using way more crushed saltines than the recipe called for and then I also added some bread crumbs and then panko to dry out the mixture. Might also use one egg instead of the suggested two next time.

Make sure your skillet is on the medium side of medium high. No one likes burnt fish cakes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Gonna have to try those.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They were very, very good. The capers add the barest "zing" considering they were rinsed and chopped up if you omitted them you probably wouldn't miss them.

NOTE: the mixture came out very "wet". This is probably because i did not drain the Salmon very well and the half lemon I used was HUGE. I ended up using way more crushed saltines than the recipe called for and then I also added some bread crumbs and then panko to dry out the mixture. Might also use one egg instead of the suggested two next time.

Make sure your skillet is on the medium side of medium high. No one likes burnt fish cakes.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.  To be honest, I made this about three weeks ago and we enjoyed the cakes and appreciate you posting it.  Agree that it was a little too wet but the flavors worked and they weren't too dry...

If you get a chance, try this one out - Link  .  We enjoyed it as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-45e5/k2-_b5cda931-b946-466e-a001-aee10bd77e87.v1.jpg
View Quote

Hope I can find this stuff at our Walmart .
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't find it anywhere so I called zatarains and gave her my zip code and she told me one store in Huntsville that had it. I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I use my rule of thumb of 1 egg per can/lb of protein. Parsley, old bay, garlic powder, diced and sauted red pepper, yellow pepper, onion, garlic. Add yellow mustard, mayo, panko to slightly bind, S&P, mix until together. Potion and patty, coat with panko, set aside. In hot pan brown both sides and finish on cedar planks in 350 oven. 10-15 minutes.

Sauce:
2 cups sour cream or greek yogurt (or cup of each understand the yogurt will be thinner), ground garlic,2T Dill, lemon juice, 2T capers, salt and white pepper, splash of chablis, mix set in cooler to chill.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use my rule of thumb of 1 egg per can/lb of protein. Parsley, old bay, garlic powder, diced and sauted red pepper, yellow pepper, onion, garlic. Add yellow mustard, mayo, panko to slightly bind, S&P, mix until together. Potion and patty, coat with panko, set aside. In hot pan brown both sides and finish on cedar planks in 350 oven. 10-15 minutes.

Sauce:
2 cups sour cream or greek yogurt (or cup of each understand the yogurt will be thinner), ground garlic,2T Dill, lemon juice, 2T capers, salt and white pepper, splash of chablis, mix set in cooler to chill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Checked for this product in a major city yesterday. Couldn't find it. Kroger, Costco and, Walmart.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#25]
OST

Because I have a lot of King salmon and Coho salmon in the freezer in the garage.

Always looking for a new recipe / something to try.

ETA

I just bought it on Amazon !  I am loving my new Prime membership. Price was $12 and free shipping. 6oz package seemed kinda small though ? They did have larger options ... if I like it I will buy bigger !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E5JM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top