Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 3:31:40 PM EDT
I have tried a lot, and used to keep Medaglia D'Oro as my go-to. They changed their bean source of manufacturing IMO, as they taste nothing like they used to. My Gaggia is therefore sitting lonely and eager. Anyone recommend some inexpensive beans/grinds?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like Lavazza super Crema.  can get on Amazon
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had Lavazza in a while and will give it a try. My parents brought some from Italy last year and it didn't have the flavor profile I was hoping for
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really like Lavazza super Crema.  can get on Amazon
View Quote

Second that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I haven't had Lavazza in a while and will give it a try. My parents brought some from Italy last year and it didn't have the flavor profile I was hoping for
View Quote

it is much softer flavor than typical American espresso roast.  Less acidic, and I really like that.

As an alternative, if you have Caribou or Pete's coffee shops in your area - their Mocha-Java blends are very similar and this is what I drink every morning at work from French press.  it will be bolder flavor if drawn through espresso machine

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I just buy bricks of Cafe Pilon or Cafe Bustelo at Wal-Mart. The inventory moves fast enough so that I'm buying fairly fresh product.

No, it' isn't Starbucks or some other premium brand but it's good enough esp. for milk drinks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Another possibility is Cafe Mayorga (as in Mayorga cigars):

https://www.jrcigars.com/brand/coffee/results_per_page%3Dall

I've also seen Mayorga Coffee at Sam's Club although not always the blend needed to make espresso.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up some Lavazza grinds today and like, but don't love, them. It was not a dark shot, and I used the same proportions as I do with Medaglia. I will tinker with it and see how it goes. It definitely was not very acidic, which I like - I just wish it had the darkness.

What kind of machines do you all use? I have a Gaggia
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Gaggia MDF grinder set on 7 and a Gaggia Classic. Shots are pitch black with dark brick red (?) crema.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Breville Barista Express.  Lavazza super Crema is not a dark roast and has milder taste. I usually use medium roast coffee.  I noticed that it likes higher pressure when drawing, so good thump is a must.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Porto Rico Coffee Company Delicious, fresh roasted coffee.  Reasonable prices, and they always have some kind of sales going on. BIL told me about them, and I have been thoroughly impressed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet Maria's is better known for green coffees but also sells roasted beans as well. If you are SERIOUS about your coffee, look into roasting your own. Not for everyone but the few hours a week I spend doing it produces the best coffee I have ever had. Been roasting over two years and still learning. If you have the OCD disease like many of us, you will understand
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I use preground Cafe Bustello.  It is cheap and works very well for me.  I like it better than the Costco Arabica French Roast I usually use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just buy bricks of Cafe Pilon or Cafe Bustelo at Wal-Mart. The inventory moves fast enough so that I'm buying fairly fresh product.

No, it' isn't Starbucks or some other premium brand but it's good enough esp. for milk drinks.
View Quote

Cafe Bustelo $3.88 at Wally.  Just bought another can yesterday.  Give it a try, I really like it. I use a french press with mine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Try roasting your own.  If you like doing things yourself and enjoy things like working on tweaking perfection (home brewing, reloading) you'll find it's fun and you get the exact coffee you like.  Warning though:  It's a stinky process - do it outside!!!

I started with a hot air popcorn popper, graduated to a perforated #10 can on a piece of rebar over the grill, and am now using a more professional stainless steel screening on an electric rotissery homebuilt roaster.  I've ruined some batches, and made some perfect ones by accident that I am still trying to re-create.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top