Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2015 12:55:48 PM EDT
Recommend me some good pizza dough flour to order.

I've tried bread flour but I see they have special pizza flour mixes available for strombolis, ect.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, the "list" is too large and complex to list a few suggestions. A lot of US based pizza places use All Trumps flour but that is a brominated (not really good for you) "half-ass" flour for making an Italian style pizza. Yet, it seems to make a pretty good pizza in the eyes of most Americans.

What kinds of pizza are you trying to make? Neopolitan style? New York Style? Chicago? California style? They all have different answers.

For my pies I actually make a blend of New York style but with California style toppings. I just use bread flour which works ok, and I bake my pies on a steel plate that is preheated to 400 then crank the oven to 550 to bake the pie (the steel at 550 burns the crust). Sometimes I par-bake several crusts then freeze them so i can have quick and easy pizza (just have to come up with the toppings).
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Stromboli.

Basically a folded over pizza
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
In for the dough recipes...
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'm going to have to try one of those recipes. I had no idea you could make pizza dough with a food processor.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stromboli.

View Quote

isn't that a calzone?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
in my experience, strombolis  are usually rolled. Otherwise pretty much the same ingredients
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I use high gluten flour (bread flour)
It's a great dough for stromboli too.
2 cups flour (I like King Arthur brand)

1/2 pack yeast

2 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 - 2 tablespoons EVOO (some in the dough and save some for coating dough)

3/4 cup water
Mix ingredients and kneed dough for 20 minutes
Lightly coat dough ball with EVOO, put on plate and cover with plastic wrap.
Place dough in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.  Overnight is better.  
1 1/2 - 2 hours before cooking, get the dough out of refrigerator to let it warm and rise a little.
Heat oven and pizza stone up to 550, lightly flour your dough then spread your dough out and stretch it with your knuckles like they do in the pizza restaurants.   Place your crust on a pizza peel that has some corn meal on it, make your pizza and gt it in the oven.  
Once you perfect doing this, it's rare you'll go out for pizza again!
Remember - quality ingredients go in, quality comes out!

ETA: to correct spelling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

isn't that a calzone?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stromboli.

isn't that a calzone?

Is it?

I thought strombolis had the sauce and pepperoni?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use high gluten flour (bread flour)

It's a great dough for stromboli too.

2 cups flour (I like King Arthur brand)
1/2 pack yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 - 2 tablespoons EVOO (some in the dough and save some for coating dough)
3/4 cup water

Mix ingredients and kneed dough for 20 minutes

Lightly coat dough ball with EVOO, put on plate and cover with plastic wrap.

Place dough in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.  Overnight is better.  

1 1/2 - 2 hours before cooking, get the dough out of refrigerator to let it warm and rise a little.

Heat oven and pizza stone up to 550, lightly flour your dough then spread your dough out and stretch it with your knuckles like they do in the pizza restaurants.   Place your crust on a pizza peel that has some corn meal on it, make your pizza and gt it in the oven.  

Once your perfect doing this, it's rare you'll go out for pizza again!

Remember - quality ingredients go in, quality comes out!  
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Bay State Milling Co. Bouncer flour.
I find it at GFS (Gordon food service).

Used in the past, Krol Bread Flour by ConAgra Mills from Costco but they no longer have it.

5 cup flour
2 cups cold water
1 tablespoon kosher salt (disolved in the water)
1 tablespoon dry yeast added dry to the flour (Known that the yeast is good)

Mix with KitchenAid stand mixer for 10-15 min
Hand kneed 5 min
form a ball and put in oiled bowl.
Let rise about 1-1.5 hours
Punch down and refigerate 24 hours to develop more flavor (you can use the same day).
24 hours later, pizza time.

I use the same recipe for bread also.

Bake on a ceramic stone at 550 degrees for about 15 min.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I love this recipe.  Cold fermentation does wonders for the dough.  I can get the center so thin that you can read through it. But then it bakes up with a nice crispy crust.

http://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
protip: use a wooden peel w/ cornmeal to put the pizza in and a metal peel to take it out. i've found the dough doesn't stick nearly as bad to a proper wooden peel
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to try making my own pizza. I've got both a wood and metal peel, stone and cutter on the way. My oven is down so I'll be cooking them on my Kamado Joe.

Speaking of peels, check out the Super Peel. Pretty cool.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Speaking of peels, check out the Super Peel. Pretty cool.
View Quote

Pretty cook but sometimes the KISS method is best. I rarely ever have a problem with pizza sticking to the peel and I often make some pretty heavy pizza. Real wood peel, mix of corn-meal and a light dusting of rice flour (that stuff is like microscopic marbles) and the pizza just glides right off the peel... IMHO, I've never used a Super Peel but I just imagine that it would be more complex than necessary, over-complicating the process... but those are just my thoughts, I've never had a need to try one out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love this recipe.  Cold fermentation does wonders for the dough.  I can get the center so thin that you can read through it. But then it bakes up with a nice crispy crust.

http://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/
View Quote
That guy does a great job at explaining and demonstrating how to shape the pizza crust!

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Get OO pizza flour.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get OO pizza flour.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

protip: use a wooden peel w/ cornmeal to put the pizza in and a metal peel to take it out. i've found the dough doesn't stick nearly as bad to a proper wooden peel
View Quote
The cornmeal also adds great flavor.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Italian Tipo 00 flour makes the best and most authentic Italian style crust.  It's readily available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=tipo+00+flour&sprefix=Tipo+00%2Caps%2C429

ETA: it is super fine flour, like confectioners sugar.  It needs less water than most recipes call for or it is too soft and won't form correctly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stromboli.

isn't that a calzone?

Is it?

Doesn't matter whats in it, the Calzone is folded 1 layer of dough top and bottom, the Stromboli is tri folded 1 layer top and 2 layers bottom. The Stromboli is usually cooked at a lower temp a little longer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone used a poolish as a starter dough?

Looks interesting.  I'm thinking of trying this for my next batch of pizza dough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#24]
what am I doing wrong....when I make the dough, and finaly wwant to use it, I try to roll/stretch it, and it just zings back to a ball...fuck
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
what am I doing wrong....when I make the dough, and finaly wwant to use it, I try to roll/stretch it, and it just zings back to a ball...fuck
View Quote

Lol, sounds perfect. You have to stretch it out, look on YouTube for how to videos.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Check out FrankDrebbin's  post above for a vedio that's better than I can explain it.  

Using the dough that I posted, you'd be able to stretch that out bigger than any home oven!

By the way don't roll it, just stretch it. One of these days I should do a tutorial on this....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]
primarily a bump to keep this out of the archives... but adding a little info too

Quoted:
View Quote

Are you slow fermenting in the fridge? IMHO, that is crucial, it lets the gluten strands relax a little and makes the pizza a LOT easier to stretch. It took me a few years to discover this... now it's my only way of making dough...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I use King Arthur Pasta Blend flour for making fresh pastas and it's really good. They have several pizza blends.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/essentials/pizza
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Crust :
2 1/2 cups warm water (100 degrees)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 to 2 TBLS yeast
5-7 cups of flour
1 tbls salt

Pizza Sauce:
3-4 tbls olive oil
1 quart of Tomatoes
small onion
3-5 cloves of garlic
1 tbls oregano
1 tbls rosemary
1 tbls thyme
1 tbls basil or fresh basil or your favorite spices
lil bit of cayenne pepper
add a little sugar if you like it sweet, EXPERIMENT! It's always good!
salt and pepper to taste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top