Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2014 5:38:17 PM EDT
I do, at least I'm on my third batch.

First batch was awesome, second batch was to salty.

What all do you put in yours?

I went to the local good will store and bought an old used slow cooker that had the ceramic bowl and glass lid. Its perfect for a fermenter. ($3 bucks) It holds 3 heads of sliced cabbage. Also got a smaller plate to fit inside to hold the cabbage down. ($.59 cents) Found a rock and boiled it to sit on plate (free)
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I do, at least I'm on my third batch.

First batch was awesome, second batch was to salty.

What all do you put in yours?

I went to the local good will store and bought an old used slow cooker that had the ceramic bowl and glass lid. Its perfect for a fermenter. ($3 bucks) It holds 3 heads of sliced cabbage. Also got a smaller plate to fit inside to hold the cabbage down. ($.59 cents) Found a rock and boiled it to sit on plate (free)
View Quote
Holy shit, I wish I had thought of the crock idea.

I got a REAL fermenter crock.

I use a brine of 2 TBS kosher salt to 1 liter of water.  And cabbage.  No other ingredients.

You will do well to take some plastic wrap and "tamp" it down over your cabbage for an additional seal.

LIGHT and OXYGEN are the two enemies of kraut.

Once you go live kraut, you never want to eat the canned stuff again.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
We make it every year.  Although we use shoulder less Mason jars and the old zinc lids with a rubber gasket.  

Just cabbage and sea salt!
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If that crock pot is really old, take care of it!  The new ones suck and cook way too hot. Those old ones are worth their weight in gold..........
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Just finished making a batch last week.  So much better than the store bought stuff.  I use a crock from Williams-Sonoma.  They had a 50% off sale a while back.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys - you got me going and searching the internet. I now have a batch of carrots fermenting on the kitchen counter.  I'll report back and let you know what happens. Oh, and son has first dibs on guns, so don't even ask.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
While we have a few new fermenters here.

My latest batch was done with rather dry, "light" cabbage that looked good and leafy, but really sorta sucked.  I should have thrown it out.

The kraut is leathery and doesn't have much taste.

Look for white-ish, densely packed and full of moisture cabbage for your kraut.  If it's tailored for soccer mom eye appeal, skip it.

Hint; Asian food stores often have the best cabbage in town.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While we have a few new fermenters here.

My latest batch was done with rather dry, "light" cabbage that looked good and leafy, but really sorta sucked.  I should have thrown it out.

The kraut is leathery and doesn't have much taste.

Look for white-ish, densely packed and full of moisture cabbage for your kraut.  If it's tailored for soccer mom eye appeal, skip it.

Hint; Asian food stores often have the best cabbage in town.

View Quote

I've had some "back room" made Kimchi from Asian stores that is fantastic. A wink and a nod, you get the real thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
We just made a 3 gallon batch.

We use an Ohio Stoneware Fermentation Crock.  You can kind of see it in the pic on the left side.
This batch was just salt and caraway seeds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I just put my first batch in the basement to ferment!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
After making my first batch, I learned to not tell friends & relatives that I've made it. They were like flies on a carcass wanting me to make batches for them, but went away after I told them to buy a crock, cabbage & salt, and I would SHOW THEM how to make it. Everyone want to eat your stuff, but never want to learn how to make it. Same goes for when I make bread. My lips are sealed.

I really like it when I make smoked Slovenian sausages and put them on homemade buns.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After making my first batch, I learned to not tell friends & relatives that I've made it. They were like flies on a carcass wanting me to make batches for them, but went away after I told them to buy a crock, cabbage & salt, and I would SHOW THEM how to make it. Everyone want to eat your stuff, but never want to learn how to make it. Same goes for when I make bread. My lips are sealed.

I really like it when I make smoked Slovenian sausages and put them on homemade buns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/flyfishohio/Food/Dinner%20Pics/Dinner103113_zps6fbe4d04.jpg
View Quote

Tell me about those potatoes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top