Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 10:01:57 AM EDT
I have several cast iron pans, but have never got the "Don't use soap!!!" thing.
Does the soap get into the seasoning, or remove it?
I ask because I have stripped several old pans, and had to use either lye or electrolosis.
Don't think todays dish soap is strong enough to take any season off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate the taste of soap with bacon....
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The soap removes the seasoning.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If the seasoning is well baked-on then no dish soap will remove it.  I recently did some re-surfacing to a new Lodge cast skillet.  After that I did some re-seasoning but just using the pan with some oil is the simplest method.
Last night I made 3 skillets of cast iron sweet cornbread for today's meal. Then hash browns and eggs in the same skillet this morning.
To clean the pan I used water, Lodge plastic scraper and green scrub pad if anything gets burned in but most of the time it wipes out simply with a paper towel.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use water, and a nylon scrub thing never liked soap on my cast cookwear. trust me.......I have a mess of cast.

when the wife got sick.......I shelved her stainless stuff. dug out....re-seasoned my old shit.....got with it!  fried cornbread is next. it's hard to find good lard in these parts everyone uses shortning/butter. got me a mess of lard now........
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If the oil is properly polymerized into a hard, slippery seasoning layer then there is nothing wrong with using soap, it's not going to hurt.

That being said, the general idea is that as you use your cast iron you slowly lose some of the seasoning from scraping etc. Leaving a thin coat of oil in it will continually rebuild the seasoning. Using warm water w/o soap will remove most food particles but leave behind a film of oil leftover from the cooking to help rebuild the seasoning.

Of course, that problem is pretty easy to overcome. Wash with soap, dry, apply thin coat of oil occasionally and you'll be fine...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I just re-season the stuff. outside on my pit over hardwood coals. I think my oldest skillet is from my young 20's. I'm 56 now work my 8" bologna skillet hard. salt from my hand tends to rust the handle

I fry alot of beef bologna here. gosh dang cut me a slice off a log I smoked,big cut off onion,, slaw,mustard. that's walkin in tall cotton there. Dang good ALL BEEF Bologna is costly nowadays

go to page 2.....just a picture. cold smoked bologna,lard,fried egg.jalenos, toasted. yah ain't gettin better
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]
My cast iron skillet is properly seasoned.
On the occasional times that I need to wash it, I use a very light soap & water solution and it cleans up fine without ruining the seasoning or leaving any funky soap taste.

Nothing wrong with using soap if you need to - I just don't make a habit of it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If the seasoning is well baked-on then no dish soap will remove it.  I recently did some re-surfacing to a new Lodge cast skillet.  After that I did some re-seasoning but just using the pan with some oil is the simplest method.

Last night I made 3 skillets of cast iron sweet cornbread for today's meal. Then hash browns and eggs in the same skillet this morning.

To clean the pan I used water, Lodge plastic scraper and green scrub pad if anything gets burned in but most of the time it wipes out simply with a paper towel.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/64F9727C-111D-4A69-B1FD-FDBAFB1DF755_zpsl4ia3nx8.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/02EA410E-EC07-43A2-BB97-94FF78ED9349_zps7y1l6jja.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/882F9AA0-7568-4C06-8292-1292AB9A0FF7_zpsxpe0vagm.jpg
View Quote
Add a squirt of dish soap to that pan, fill it with hot water and foam it up and leave it overnight.

I dare you.

"Don't use soap" is like "don't stick anything smaller than your finger in your ear" type advice meant to cover for the totally retarded people in the audience who are too fucking stupid to gather in the nuances.

Soap is fine to get it clean, dried, and then rinsed and re-oiled.

But, when people hear "soap is fine" they soak shit in strong detergents and throw it in the dishwasher with even stronger detergent and "no spots" treatments. THOSE are the problem.

I find there isn't anything I can't get off a pan by wiping it out, getting it hot, splashing water in it, and then drying it again.  Re-oil as necessary.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A squirt of soap is fine. Just oil it afterward. Don't scour the pan clean with some awful cleanser.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
All right smarty pants's.  I have one of these-

and it's as awesome as it looks, but the inside of it is impossible to keep rust free.  Every month or so I have to take a wire wheel to it, and that is a pain in the ass.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
If you really need to scour your cast iron! Do not use soap!

Use really hot water and a non detergent scrubby.

If you still really need to scour.

Use 1/2 oil to 1/2 salt!  Rinse it with the hottest water you can...Then re season!

I season by putting on the flame, adding a small amount of oil and massaging until just before smoking point! Then move to oven to chill!

Or just cook a batch of bacon!

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Soap, such as Dawn, won't do shit to properly seasoned cast iron.  Use it all the time to cut the excess grease/oil off of my cast iron.

Don't' sweat it!

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone using soap is doing it wrong. It's not necessary.  Use SALT.

After you are done cooking, put a little hot water in your pan and a good handful of coarse salt.  Rub with some folded paper towel to remove any thing left in pan. Rinse well with water and then place pan on stove on low heat to dry and open the pores of the metal.

While pan is warm, add some good cooking oil and wipe it around with a clean paper towel.  You're done and this method will turn your cast iron pan into something that works like teflon and it'll be very smooth. Takes bout 5 minutes to clean and oil your pan.

Never use soap on cast iron cookware.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in the day they just cleaned the pans by boiling them with water until all the crap fell out and into the fire, followed by a wipe and dry. I doubt anyone wants to do that on the home stove. Sometimes you need to knock down the grease on the pots. I use a 3qt sauce pan and multiple dutch ovens and wiping them out or scrubbing with a scouring pad isnt going to get the grease out. So dish detergent is used to achieve this followed by a dry and light re-oil if it isn't going to be used soon. Since we all but exclusively use cast iron it all gets mostly used.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.alcoholian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/P1050351.jpg

and it's as awesome as it looks, but the inside of it is impossible to keep rust free.  Every month or so I have to take a wire wheel to it, and that is a pain in the ass.  Any ideas?
View Quote

Stop using a wire wheel to clean it.  I swear it makes a fine dust that coats the outer surface and oxidizes faster than letting it sit.  Wipe it down with a little cooking oil after you're done using it, and prep it the next time you cook; heat grill, grill brush, wipe with oil coated towel to remove the little particles, and then grill your meat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Stop using a wire wheel to clean it.  I swear it makes a fine dust that coats the outer surface and oxidizes faster than letting it sit.  Wipe it down with a little cooking oil after you're done using it, and prep it the next time you cook; heat grill, grill brush, wipe with oil coated towel to remove the little particles, and then grill your meat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.alcoholian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/P1050351.jpg

That's what I do to the actual grate surface, but I'm talking about the inside of the "bowl" that comes into contact with the charcoal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You could have it ceramic coated by Jet-Hot.  I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap but it would last.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I do a lot of pre-1840 camping. Clean up is: scrape the crusty krud out with implement of choice. Put water in cast iron pot or pan, let it boil, scrub out with pot scrubber, no soap, drain out water, wipe out pot or pan, put back on fire, let it get hot, take off fire, grab chunk of beeswax and rub beeswax all over the inside, wipe off excess, let cool, put it away. Beeswax keeps rust off, and it also seasons the pot / pan.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/lennyzrx/20141103_204413_zps2fc07a5b.jpg

False
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top