Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 8:23:22 AM EDT
911 here!

I'm making Eggs Benedict for a crowd pretty soon, and thought I had white vinegar, as I always do...  but it's NOT THERE!!

Is there any substitute?

I have cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar, and balsamic, (can pretty much rule out the balsamic on my own)  I also have lemons, limes, some red and white wine vinegars...

Quick help would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Cider vinegar or white wine vinegar (i've run into this before).

I love homemade hollendaise.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
1/2 cup                             butter                                                         (1 stick)                                                                                      

• 4  large                                                                                      egg yolks                                                                                                                                              

• 1/2 cup                             heavy cream                                                         (or whipping cream)                                                                                                                                              

• 2  tablespoons                             lemon juice                                                                                                                                                                          

• 1  teaspoon                             Dijon mustard

• Lemon juice adds the acidic taste and I like it better than vinegar, but cider vinegar will also work.                                                                                    

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:54:09 AM EDT
    [#4]
    I ended up using the cider vinegar, and rocked out a Thanksgiving Brunch.

The menu included The Bene, broiled, maple glazed pepper bacon, Home style hash brown "O'brian," Blueberry Muffins, and a mimosa made with Prosecco, fresh squeezed OJ, and fresh blueberry juice, left over from the muffins.

I had made The whole Thanksgiving dinner last weekend, and really didn't want to do it again, so compensated with a rock star brunch. We went out to a killer buffet for dinner which is completely not my style, but worked.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I was in full panic mode when I posted!
    Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:12:10 PM EDT
    [#5]
    Did you bust out the immersion blender and do it the easy way, or did you have to slave away over the double boiler?
    Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:13:12 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Also don't forget pickle jars as a source for various "flavored" vinegars.

Depending on what you are doing, Jalapenos, Pickles, Gardenara, pickled eggs, etc. might have what you need.
    Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:27:41 AM EDT
    [#7]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    Did you bust out the immersion blender and do it the easy way, or did you have to slave away over the double boiler?
    View Quote

I have a large metal bowl, that I sit over my largest pot full of simmering water, and whisk, whisk, whisk! The whole time turning the bowl to keep the heat manageable. I don't know if that's the best way, but it's the way I know how to do this.
    Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:11:59 PM EDT
    [#8]
    Try this.

I do it in a cup with an immersion blender, but this will work too.
    Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:16:55 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Balsamic will work as well.
    Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:45:07 AM EDT
    [#10]
    Quoted:
    View Quote

Double boiler, ha! I had a chef that thought me now to do it on the grill. Takes less time, but you have to pay attention to the yolks.
    Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:27:48 AM EDT
    [#11]
    I found calamansi lemon work realy well.  But I am sure you don't have those either.

Why not a regular lemon, or lime?

Although limes would not me by first choice.
    Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:08:49 AM EDT
    [#12]
    I'd go lemons or some combo of vinegar and lemon, heavy on the lemon
    Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:10:46 PM EDT
    [#13]
    I've done it in blenders, fry pans, food processors, even on a deep fryer but you have to be fast and know what you are doing. You can do it just by having hot ass clarified butter.

You are just mildy heating the yolk while whipping until the color lightens and begins to froth. This is pastuerising the yolk and opening up the fat to accept the oil the whipping/areating increases the surface area to assit in this. Just do not overheat or you will have scrambled eggs. Once hot and frothy add the fat drop by drop, then a slight stream all the time whipping. Too much butter and the emulsion will break.

Acids thin emulsions so with that in mind you can use any acid really. The reason you are using the acid it to give a acidic flavor profile and to thin. Bearnaise you use a tarragon reduction with shallot, white wine and vinegar. For a Hollandaise you are just making a white wine, vinegar shallot reduction. Hollandaise is a mother sauce which can be changed into a multiude of sauces just by changeing ingredients. One is not bound by a recipe please use them as guides only.

I've made eggless mock Bernaise becuase it was going to be setting on a buffet and not in a chafer/ bain-marie. It looked and tasted like Bernaise but it was just a white sauce with a tarragon reduction and tinted with egg shade.
    Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:18:32 PM EDT
    [#14]

Quoted:

I ended up using the cider vinegar, and rocked out a Thanksgiving Brunch.

The menu included The Bene, broiled, maple glazed pepper bacon, Home style hash brown "O'brian," Blueberry Muffins, and a mimosa made with Prosecco, fresh squeezed OJ, and fresh blueberry juice, left over from the muffins.

I had made The whole Thanksgiving dinner last weekend, and really didn't want to do it again, so compensated with a rock star brunch. We went out to a killer buffet for dinner which is completely not my style, but worked.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I was in full panic mode when I posted!
    View Quote
    You been watching the Food Network or what, very sophisticated meal.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:28:08 AM EDT
    [#15]
    Quoted:
    I've done it in blenders, fry pans, food processors, even on a deep fryer but you have to be fast and know what you are doing. You can do it just by having hot ass clarified butter.

You are just mildy heating the yolk while whipping until the color lightens and begins to froth. This is pastuerising the yolk and opening up the fat to accept the oil the whipping/areating increases the surface area to assit in this. Just do not overheat or you will have scrambled eggs. Once hot and frothy add the fat drop by drop, then a slight stream all the time whipping. Too much butter and the emulsion will break.

Acids thin emulsions so with that in mind you can use any acid really. The reason you are using the acid it to give a acidic flavor profile and to thin. Bearnaise you use a tarragon reduction with shallot, white wine and vinegar. For a Hollandaise you are just making a white wine, vinegar shallot reduction. Hollandaise is a mother sauce which can be changed into a multiude of sauces just by changeing ingredients. One is not bound by a recipe please use them as guides only.

I've made eggless mock Bernaise becuase it was going to be setting on a buffet and not in a chafer/ bain-marie. It looked and tasted like Bernaise but it was just a white sauce with a tarragon reduction and tinted with egg shade.
    View Quote

cheater.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:03:41 PM EDT
    [#16]
    Bernaise= vinegar
    Hollandaise=Lemon Juice
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top