Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2014 7:29:49 PM EDT
I need them!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
what cuts are you wanting to cook(backstraps, ground, roasts, steaks, whole leg....)?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what cuts are you wanting to cook(backstraps, ground, roasts, steaks, whole leg....)?
View Quote

I have backstraps tenderloins, roasts, steaks burger and stew meat. I will have them in a few weeks that is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my favorites is to cook backstraps/steaks in a cast iron skillet, in the oven, like some people recommend doing with a regular steak.  Basically, preheat the oven to 400, then get the skillet hot on the stove top.  Throw the deer on there for 45 sec. a side, to sear it, then throw the entire pan into the oven.  Time will depend on thickness and how well cooked you like it, usually it is 10-15 min. for me, but just use trial and error.

I also cook it in the oven, cut up into chunks and wrapped in bacon, like you would do with doves.  

As much as I like to grill over charcoal, I've had better luck cooking deer in the oven than on the grill
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I have backstraps tenderloins, roasts, steaks burger and stew meat. I will have them in a few weeks that is.
View Quote

backstraps/tenderloins-do chicken fried cutlets(cut backstrap into cutlets, batter and flour, pan fry in oil and top w/cream gravy) or bacon wrapped filets(season backstrap to your liking, wrap in bacon so that when you slice it, each slice will be wrapped in bacon, dust with a little more of your seasoning, grill indirect using medium heat until desired doneness,save the drippings, slice in between bacon, use drippings to make a ju, serve)

roasts-crockpot roast w/carrots, onion and potatoes. prep carrots(I prefer baby carrots because they're peeled and sized already), onion(usually slices that have been cut in half) and potatoes(I like baby reds/golds, just cut in half and done) as needed and place on bottom of crockpot. put the roast on top of veggies. add seasonings to taste, add remaining veggies. cover w/a 50/50 mix of water and beef broth/stock. don't flood the crockpot, just add enough to cover everything. let the crock pot do it's thing. if you want, just before serving, you can ladle some of the liquid out and use it to make a gravy.

steaks-treat like a beef steak, but being leaner, will finish faster, so don't overcook it

burger-use as you would ground beef(spaghetti, tacos..etc). venison burgers are great too, but(like the steaks) can tend to dry out easily and become tough. you can mix it with another ground meat(I recommend turkey since it has a milder flavor that won't overpower the venison flavor).

stew meat-chili or stew. my chili is very simple(meat, tomato sauce and seasonings). I do my stew almost identical to my crockpot roast, so i'll just list the differences. first, I let it cook longer(usually at least 9hrs) so that the meat starts to shred a fiber or two when stirred, but not so long that it completely falls apart. second, I also drop a cube or two of boulion powder in the mix before cooking. the other difference is that a bit before serving i'll add a thickener(cornstarch and/or gravy powder) directly into the crock pot and then reduce heat to the warm setting to let it thicken up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my all time favorites is a black and blue salad with venison.

tenderloin or steak, season with salt and pepper, sear in a very hot cast iron pan on all sides, I don't over cook,  I want it border line cool red to pink in the center.  Let it rest a few minutes,  

cook down some balsamic vinegar in a pan until it's getting thickened, almost to the point of syrup.  

make a nice green salad, add red onions and or green onion, tomatoes,  croutons.  Put your sliced venison on top, cover with crumbled blue cheese.  Now drizzle your balsamic vinegar reduction over the top.  Season with fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.  You can also add a drizzle of olive oil if you desire.

Simply one of the best meal salads I've ever had.   Enjoy with a glass of red wine such as merlot or a cabernet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is one I like to do with stew meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top