Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2014 2:20:20 PM EDT
How good is the Thermoworks Thermapen instant read cooking thermometer. Is it worth the money?

Thanks

Roger
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Best ever. You will not regret it. If the price is an issue buy the "Thermo Pop". It's really good too, just a tad slower read time. My next Thermo pen will have the backlight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have NO doubt that the Thermapen is top quality and is the fastest reading on the market. But it's really hard to swallow a $100 pill for it unless you are dying to get rid of some money or you are a professional where the extra few seconds, added up over numerous temp readings daily will make a difference.

I found that this one comes highly regarded as the best budget instant read. At only $18 from amazon and a 6-8 second read time (verfied by some highly regarded meat cooking websites), I will happily take this one over the thermapen (if it works*).

*Disclaimer: I just ordered this and will have it today or tomorrow. I will report back on how well it works. This will be used for various kitchen tasks like cooking meats, warming bottles for infants, and whatever else I feel like doing it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Very good but criminally overpriced. If you can wait a few seconds longer, there are $10-30-ish thermometers that do the exact same job, to the level of accuracy non-professionals need. I have a thermapen but feel totally suckered in spending that much. When it dies, I will never replace it, unless they drop the price by $70 or so.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely worth the price and if mine disappeared tomorrow I would have a new one before the weekend. If you aren't in a hurry they have "open box" sales a couple times each year and you can save $20-$30. Those units come with a full warranty too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Worth it.....buy it.  You'll find other uses for it too.  I use it to check my temps in my geothermal loops, coolant temp in cars, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thermapen is awesome. I will never be without one.
View Quote
expensive but worth it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top