Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2014 3:27:12 AM EDT
Buddy of mine just started harvesting his winter veggie crop, and the early sprouts are coming off.

I snagged 20 tops to freeze this weekend, and will grab another 20-30 this week.

Who has a good Sprout casserole?

Anybody tried Sprouts and apple dishes?
I'm up to my ass in Apples too.

How about soups with sprouts?
I'm sitting on a couple buckets of boiler Onions and it's that time of year.

I got wind of a Maple Bacon Sprouts recipie I am going to try, and if it works out I'll share.

All Hail the humble Sprout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
hey, just toss stuff together. you really can't screw up soup. It's gettin cool out now.............about time I get out my soup pots too. cover the smokers up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Cook a half pound (or more, obviously) of bacon until crispy in a skillet. Remove and set aside. Crumble.

Halve your sprouts, cook them in the bacon grease until your desired level of doneness. I like them to have some crunch.

Transfer sprouts to a warmed serving dish, add the crumbled bacon, and toss. Dress with balsamic vinegar.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

cover the smokers up.
View Quote

WHA?! BLASPHEMY! I run my grills/smoker all year long.

As for the sprouts... My favorite way to cook them is to cut them in half (little ones I leave whole), toss them in a gallon sized ziplock bag with some EVOO/salt/pepper, zip it up and shake/tumble them around in the bag to coat them. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30-40 minutes (I usually turn/stir them up a bit halfway through). Easy as hell and they taste so good!

Since I'm a Dizzy Pig Seasonings addict, I also use their "Shakin' the Tree" spice mix on sprouts. Same as above, you just add in the spices with the salt and pepper. If you don't like sprouts cooked this way, there is something wrong with you!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: cover the smokers up.
View Quote

Say what?

NEVER...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Not a fan I take it.

Take some time and learn to cook the things, and try fresh harvested.
The difference between store bought, and snatched out of the field the same day is huge.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a casserole dish but we love grilling them.  I keep them whole and microwave them for a few minutes with a splash of water to par cook them.  Then toss in olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes to finish off.  We like them crunchy and eat them like candy......
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cook a half pound (or more, obviously) of bacon until crispy in a skillet. Remove and set aside. Crumble.

Halve your sprouts, cook them in the bacon grease until your desired level of doneness. I like them to have some crunch.

Transfer sprouts to a warmed serving dish, add the crumbled bacon, and toss. Dress with balsamic vinegar.
View Quote

Are we related?  Old family recipe, and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Serious Eats just posted this recipe for Sprouts Gratin.

I'm going to try it out this weekend. I'm on nights for the next few days, so no kitchen experiments for me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going to try it out this weekend. I'm on nights for the next few days, so no kitchen experiments for me.
View Quote

That one is gonna get a run.

Supposed ta be shitty cold, snow/rain tomorrow and another couple hundred tops came off yesterday.
Might have to snag another 20 and bake that up while par boiling.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate the sprouts, but this one may tempt me to try them again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I love sprouts, bought myself some a couple days ago. Frozen but I still love them anyway. Your post will have me looking for the fresher ones.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Bake them in the oven until they get a little browned or even lightly charred. The flavor is totally different and they come out sweet. Look for baked or roasted brussels sprouts on google.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Buddy of mine just started harvesting his winter veggie crop, and the early sprouts are coming off.

I snagged 20 tops to freeze this weekend, and will grab another 20-30 this week.

I got wind of a Maple Bacon Sprouts recipie I am going to try, and if it works out I'll share.

View Quote
Sprouts are massively better after the first few snow/frost cycles.

Sprout season is coming, but not here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
normaliy I would have to tie my wife up  and feed her brussel sprouts with a sling shot , but, that recipe is kick ass. She even took it to friends houses.....thanks yall
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have already had at least 3 frost cycles.

The Late Broccoli is so green it's almost black.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I just did some sprouts.

Fried up some some pieces of bacon, tossed in some carrots then tossed in some brussel sprouts that I cut in half. A pinch of salt (remember the bacon is already salty) and let them go for a bit wit ha cover to get them soft after they crisped up a bit. Yum
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]
One of our old favorites.

Sprouts, Red Taters, Vidalias, baby carrots, garlic, crapload of Rosemary, tossed in EVOO, and baked at 350 for an hour.

Tossed, at halfway point.

Served with a drizzle of 25yr Modena Tradizionale alongside some dead critter,

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Recipe for your fresh apples right here. Click me
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not a fan I take it.

The difference between store bought, and snatched out of the field the same day is huge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not a fan I take it.

I love the store-bought ones so much.  I think my taste bugs would explode if I grew my own.  I'm guessing that with all the talk about 'freeze cycles' that they don't do well in Florida?  
I like to blanch 'em, then coat them in olive oil and roast 'em - about 425° for 10 minutes.  A little salt and pepper will do.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#21]
one of my favorite greens to eat!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I like sprouts and usually just wing it, but I think they a good halved or quarter and sautéed in some bacon grease, add some apples, and dried cranberries and of course a little bacon and some bleu cheese.  It is pretty rich but it is awesome.

I thin you can really do just about anything you want with them according to your taste.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Onions & Walnuts  

8 cups (24 oz.) brussel sprouts, quartered
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 450º F.
In a large bowl, combine brussel sprouts, garlic, shallots, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and season everything.
Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until some brussel sprouts have become crispy.
In the meantime, toast your walnuts for 4-5 minutes, in a pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Remove tray from oven, add walnuts and extra olive oil (and seasoning, if needed) and toss well. Serve hot.
Serves 6-8

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Onions & Walnuts  

8 cups (24 oz.) brussel sprouts, quartered
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 450º F.
In a large bowl, combine brussel sprouts, garlic, shallots, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and season everything.
Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until some brussel sprouts have become crispy.
In the meantime, toast your walnuts for 4-5 minutes, in a pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Remove tray from oven, add walnuts and extra olive oil (and seasoning, if needed) and toss well. Serve hot.
Serves 6-8

View Quote

Walnuts!!! Brilliant!

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
This one is Tasty!  The only thing I've added to it that makes it moreso is to add some crumbled bacon.

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This one is Tasty!  The only thing I've added to it that makes it moreso is to add some crumbled bacon.

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
View Quote

THAT is another good one!!

Heading over to snag another 15-20 tops tomorrow for freezing.
That should set us up good for another year, and make for 2-3 dinners of fresh this week.

Ribolita with sprouts this weekend!!
Maybe I'll do some pics.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's very close to how I like to do mine. I'm also a fan of the crunch. Mushy sprouts are bad and should feel bad.

I like to roughly chop an onion and carmelize the bits and add pine nuts.

Granny smith apples also play nicely.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Alton Brown has a great one with bacon, apples and blue cheese. Thanks, Dinnertime

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Blanched and shocked.  Halved or quartered depending on size.  Get a cast iron or blue steel pan smoking hot, add grape seed oil and put the brussels in cut side down.  When the Brussels have caramelized on the cut side, add minced shallot and equal parts finely minced fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary.  Season with salt and white pepper and a dash of olive oil.  Toss and cook for another 45 seconds.  A dash of balsamic and toasted pecans to finish.

Brussel slaw is also good.  Shave the Brussels on a mandolin as thin as you can get them.  Make a simple vinaigrette with the lemon zest, fresh minced thyme and a 3 to 1 ratio of oil to lemon juice.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the shaved Brussels with a little bit of the vinaigrette and then shave/grate ricotta salata over the top and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Brussels sprouts were my kryptonite as a child. My mom bought the frozen ones, and boiled them. God, It's almost as bad as my aversion to creamed corn. I threw up after having to "finish my plate" with both of these nasty, godawful things as a kid.  

Brussel sprouts, cooked properly, are one of my favorite vegetables these days. Roasted with bacon, s&p, and a hit of citrus make them better then potato chips.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Sauteed with pancetta-and-scallions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts for a different twist.

2 tablespoons very thinly sliced cilantro stems, plus 1/2 cup leaves
   3 tablespoons chopped mint
   2 pounds brussels sprouts (smaller ones are better)
   Grapeseed or other neutral oil as needed, as needed (lots for frying, little for roasting)

Combine the vinaigrette (below), cilantro stems, and mint in a bowl, and set aside.
   Peel away any loose or discolored outer leaves, trim the dry end of the stems with a knife, and cut the sprouts in half. Cut any especially large ones in quarters. Do not wash, especially if frying the sprouts. If roasting, and you must, dry very well.
   To roast the brussels sprouts (recommended): Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or just enough to evenly coat the bottom of the pan) in 2 oven-safe wide skillets (12 to 14 inches) over medium heat. When the oil slides easily from side to side of the pan, add the brussels sprouts cut side down. When the cut faces of the sprouts begin to brown, transfer the pan to the oven to finish cooking, about 15 minutes. Alternately, if you don't have 2 large skillets or are cooking more sprouts for a larger crowd, roast them in the oven: toss them with 1 tablespoon of oil per pound and spread them on a baking sheet, cut sides down. Roast in the oven, checking for browning every 10-15 minutes, tossing them around with a spatula only once they start to brown nicely.The sprouts are ready when they are tender but not soft, with nice, dark brown color.
   To fry the brussels sprouts: Heat 11/2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry or instant-read thermometer registers 375°F. Line a plate with paper towels. Fry in batches that don’t crowd the pan -- be careful, these will pop and spatter. Brussels sprouts will take about 5 minutes: when the outer leaves begin to hint at going black around the edges—i.e., after the sprouts have sizzled, shrunk, popped, and browned but before they burn—remove them to a paper towel–lined plate or tray.
   Serve warm or at room temperature. When ready to serve, divide the brussels sprouts among four bowls (or serve it all out of one big bowl), top with the dressing to taste and cilantro leaves, and toss once or twice to coat.

Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

1/2 cup fish sauce (adjust to taste -- some fish sauce brands are saltier)
   1/4 cup water
   2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
   Juice of 1 lime
   1/4 cup sugar
   1 garlic clove, minced
   1 to 3 red bird’s-eye chiles, thinly sliced, seeds intact

Combine the fish sauce, water, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and chiles in a jar. Taste; If too salty, add more water and/or lime juice. This vinaigrette will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#35]
try just mixing some sprouts onions bacon (gf loves it) might be good with some apples thrown in as well.

when it comes to sprouts i only like them boiled or steamed... plain but delicious
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I was eating sprouts quite regular (frozen Kroger brand), but seems I have read that they are not good for testosterone, or maybe it was my blood type.
Don't know if it is true or not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sauteed with pancetta-and-scallions.
View Quote

Oh you bastard
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Just got another half dozen tops as the season comes to the end. Dang snow.

I might try that one on a couple handfulls before freezing the rest.
Never thought about using Nutmeg for some reason.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Made this on Thanksgiving. It was damn good and liked by all. Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. One of my favorite recipes for brussel sprouts! Has all of the right flavors.

You can also pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to get a nice crisp char on the outer skins.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#42]
My sprouts are still on the plants but get bigger everyday. I usually harvest them in January. They have seen several weeks of frost already and should be sweet. This is in Western Washington State.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Add the sprouts to beef or venison stew , tastes great. Use them in soup, especially anything you might use cabbage or kale in. the frying ideas sound good, I'll have to try it
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I just got 10 lbs of duck fat in, i think u know where this is going
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Dice up 1 slice of bacon an brown in skillet
Cut sprouts in half and add to skillet
Brown sprouts in skillet.
Add a 1/4 cup of water and cover with lid to steam until fork tender and water is gone. (This is all about timing)
Add salt and pepper
Add juice from a fresh orange and a pat of butter and finish in skillet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#46]
As a little kid I HATED brussel sprouts. For all I knew they could have been the Jolly Green Giant's dingleberries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top