Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
So which is better: stoneware (example: Corningware) or glassware (example: Pyrex).

I'm looking to buy some 2-quart casseroles and a roaster (and whichever other sizes I think of), and don't really know how the different materials affect the cooking.

I already have 1 of the Pyrex ones that I linked, and like it. I like the handles on it, which is one of the drawbacks I have with the Corningware that I linked.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you're doing with it mainly. I really like my pyrex baking dish because it's safe to use on the burners so I can cook something in the oven and then deglaze it on the stove, which I don't think the stoneware can do.

I'm not much of a baker (I don't eat grains and much of what would traditionally be baked or broiled I cook in the sous vide machine and sear on the stove) but my current bakeware consists of a loaf-sized pyrex, a shallow baking pyrex, a cookie sheet and a half pan. They all have their uses.

I've never seen a pyrex dish in the shape of the Corningware casserole you linked. That's a great shape for stuff like shepherd's pie. I don't own anything that I could bake a proper one in. Curved sides won't let you cook a proper pastry-encrusted dish. Those stoneware dishes are also handy because you can use them as serving vessels. And with a little creative lubing you can bake cakes in them.

Are you planning on just baking with them or do you care about being able to use them on the stove top or microwave? Most of my cooking implement purchases are based on recipes I'd like to try. I'd recommend basing your next purchase on what you want to cook, then in true arfcom fashion, eventually buying both
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you planning on just baking with them or do you care about being able to use them on the stove top or microwave? Most of my cooking implement purchases are based on recipes I'd like to try. I'd recommend basing your next purchase on what you want to cook, then in true arfcom fashion, eventually buying both
View Quote

Well, I was making homemade macaroni and cheese, and homemade baked beans yesterday, and only had 1 dish of the correct size for the small amounts I was making. So I thought I should buy another one, for the next time I want to make 2 sides of the same size.

I don't think I have any recipes that I would both put in the oven and also on the stovetop, that would go in a casserole dish. You do make a good point though, because I was also looking at roasters, which I would put on the stovetop for deglazing...

Thanks for the reminder about that!

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
In true arfcom fashion the only answer is "both."

Both have their place in the kitchen IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to say, the ridges on the souffle help it heat up faster than glass. Same thing with the unglazed bottom, supposedly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top