Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 9:02:39 AM EDT
I say 'Yes.'
I read the reviews, which were overwhelmingly positive, and bought one the other day.  I never imagined I would say that $160 was a fair price to pay for a drip coffeemaker - especially one without a timer, or any other bells and whistles at all.  Apparently, the Specialty Coffee Association of America® agrees, as it's one of only two electric coffeemakers they've certified - the other being the Techniform Moccamaster, which sells for a whopping $300.
This one has a tank, a thermal carafe, no way to get a cup before the brew is finished, and the only control is an ON/OFF switch.  $150?  Huh.
What it does have is a VERY high quality thermal carafe, and a 1400-watt heating element that gets the water temp up to a measured 200°F, which helps the showerhead-style jets extract maximum flavor in a short 7 minute brew.
I've done the vacuum method, and the French Press, and the hand pour, blah blah blah, and I have to say that this one makes every bit as good a cup as any coffee making method I've ever used.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've tried just about every method possible and I haven't found anything quicker, easier, or better than my press pot.

It is also a very cheap way to make coffee.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried just about every method possible and I haven't found anything quicker, easier, or better than my press pot.

View Quote

I really like my Chemex and slightly prefer it over my press pot. It's much easier to clean too.

I've been eyeballing a Rancilio Silvia for a while.

The biggest thing you can do for better coffee is getting a burr mill. The spinning blade style grinder gives very inconsistent grinds. The best budget burr mill. Also keep your beans in a vacuum cylinder in a dark cabinet!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I really like my Chemex and slightly prefer it over my press pot. It's much easier to clean too.

The biggest thing you can do for better coffee is getting a burr mill. The spinning blade style grinder gives very inconsistent grinds. The best budget burr mill. Also keep your beans in a vacuum cylinder in a dark cabinet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good advice.

I have this burr mill, and it seems to do a decent job.  My beans get divided up into vacuum-sealed bags the day I buy them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.aeropress.com/

You are welcome!

Don't laugh until you try it.  Over my many years of life on this earth I have had many different price points of drip coffee makers.  They all make horrible coffee, in my opinion.

bluesticky
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that mill and absolutely love it.  It's one of those buy once, cry once expenses IMO.  I have a high end Breville espresso machine and the capresso mill grinds espresso very well also (too fine actually if you go all the way fine), and it does a great job of grinding for our daily vacuum pot.  My vacuum pot only takes 11 minutes, and with a timer and hotplate its hands free...I won't have anything paper come I contact with my coffee, you lose all of the oils/crema/flavor that way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I won't have anything paper come I contact with my coffee, you lose all of the oils/crema/flavor that way.
View Quote

- The oil filter in your car is paper.

- Crema?  Who gets crema in a regular cup of coffee?

- No flavor when a paper filter is used?  "Swing and a myth!"
All three of those things are FAR more dependent on the quality of the bean, the grind, the quality of the water, and the temperature curve of the brewing cycle than whether the filter is made of paper.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to use the pourover method, which i like. I purchased the bonavita and love it. Used it for a year and no complaints. I have a friend who owns the techniform and it is also a good machine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All three of those things are FAR more dependent on the quality of the bean, the grind, the quality of the water, and the temperature curve of the brewing cycle than whether the filter is made of paper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't have anything paper come I contact with my coffee, you lose all of the oils/crema/flavor that way.

No espresso machine uses paper filters, including mine.  Hence the crema.  I can also see the oil slick on my vacuum brewed coffee, the same oil that's missing in any drip coffeemaker.  Obviously it's about the flavor, and my vacuum brewed coffee just tastes better than anything I've ever had from a drip machine.  Plus, I never have to buy or throw away filters, whether for daily coffee (vacuum) or special occasion/weekend coffee (espresso/cappuccino).
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this
http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/single-cup-coffee-makers-the-scoop-single-serve-coffee-maker-49981.html

I paid less than $40 for mine. Best at home coffee I've ever made plus every cup is fresh. Its a pain when the house is full of guests but I have a Mr Coffee for that: however my Mom has figured out the coffee from the single serve is better and now tells me to leave the big pot in the cabinet.

And just to make sure I get well flamed.......I've found the Kirkland coffee (costco) in a metal can to be quite tasty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have this
http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/single-cup-coffee-makers-the-scoop-single-serve-coffee-maker-49981.html

I paid less than $40 for mine. Best at home coffee I've ever made plus every cup is fresh. Its a pain when the house is full of guests but I have a Mr Coffee for that: however my Mom has figured out the coffee from the single serve is better and now tells me to leave the big pot in the cabinet.

And just to make sure I get well flamed.......I've found the Kirkland coffee (costco) in a metal can to be quite tasty.
View Quote

*twitch*
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No espresso machine uses paper filters, including mine.  Hence the crema.  I can also see the oil slick on my vacuum brewed coffee, the same oil that's missing in any drip coffeemaker.  Obviously it's about the flavor, and my vacuum brewed coffee just tastes better than anything I've ever had from a drip machine.  Plus, I never have to buy or throw away filters, whether for daily coffee (vacuum) or special occasion/weekend coffee (espresso/cappuccino).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried one of the vacuum coffeemakers.  WAYYYY too much work for an incremental improvement.  But that's just me.  Heck, I balk at the labor involved in a french press.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top