Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 6:19:40 PM EDT
To me, there are two types of cookies, those that are dry, crumble and break... and those that are soft, gooey, and moist.  What is it that makes them moist and gooey vs. dry?

Now... give me your Peanut Butter cookie and Oatmeal cookie recipes.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go, dear.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks.... but I can't tell by the pic which ones are gooey/moist and the ones that are on the dry side.  I don't know jack about cookies and making them... but I'm going to give it a try.  I want gooey cookies like the ones at Subway...  You can't hold a Subway peanut butter cookie with two fingers... they are super moist/gooey and will bend and break off... falling in your lap... that's the texture I want.

Is it an ingredient thing or a cooking temperature/time thing?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I'm drooling.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol... Well try this recipe. I always chill the dough overnight, keeps the cookies from flattening.
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/24445/chewy-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookies/
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
it's food .    it's all good
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I started using a lower temp than the old BC cookbook recommended.  That helped a lot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what you seek, OP

Make em BIG, Make em GOOEY!!!

(DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what you seek, OP

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/05/00/00/00/0005000000400_500X500.jpg

Make em BIG, Make em GOOEY!!!

(DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
View Quote

Honey will also keep them moist.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]
the things you learn on the internets never cease to amaze me!

Off to get some honey
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks.... but I can't tell by the pic which ones are gooey/moist and the ones that are on the dry side.  I don't know jack about cookies and making them... but I'm going to give it a try.  I want gooey cookies like the ones at Subway...  You can't hold a Subway peanut butter cookie with two fingers... they are super moist/gooey and will bend and break off... falling in your lap... that's the texture I want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yuck... I can't stand the underbaked crap cookies from subway... I'll take a fully-baked chewy cookie over an under-baked doughy crumbly cookie any day...

I don't know much about cookies, but when I want a baked good to be a certain texture I just google for a recipe for it... I still can't figure out how to make brownie so chewy that beef-jerky would be easier to chew...

Haha, if you can't tell, I like chewy stuff...
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yuck... I can't stand the underbaked crap cookies from subway... I'll take a fully-baked chewy cookie over an under-baked doughy crumbly cookie any day...

I don't know much about cookies, but when I want a baked good to be a certain texture I just google for a recipe for it... I still can't figure out how to make brownie so chewy that beef-jerky would be easier to chew...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... I'm not a cookie connoisseur so I can only use Subway's gooey ass cookies as an example... I just don't like dry cookies...

ETA- I occasionally buy the Pillsbury cookie dough just to eat it RAW....... sometimes, I mix it in with ice cream and peanut butter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Another recommendation if you want a softer cookie.

Use two cookie sheets stacked on top of each other.  It prevents the bottom of the cookie from burning and getting too crispy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife makes these Clicky and they are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. They stay plump and gooey.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite peanut butter cookie recipe:

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
mix well, place on cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.
Bake at 350° for maybe 10 min, until light brown. Let the cookies rest some before removing them from the cookie sheet, or they will fall apart.
Ovens are all different so watch the first batch so you don't over bake them.

I got this recipe from a cookbook from Lin & Larry Pardey, The Care and Feeding of the Sailing Crew.
They remind me of the cookies we got for lunch in the cafeteria in elementry school........a loooooong time ago.

BTW, if you love sailing all their books are well written!

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
For the oatmeal cookies, try substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.  I think they are much better than with raisins.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with SigOwner. I no longer get cookies at Subway. Too many upset stomachs b/c they are too underdone.  I usually just bake my own.

Parchment paper can help your cookies bake more evenly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
fat content has a ton to do with it too.

fat content is represented by the "too much flour" above.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the toll house recipie and add flour until it cant take any more.  
Bake on an insulated flat sheet with no sides and you will have soft unburnt yummy cookies.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

To me, there are two types of cookies, those that are dry, crumble and break... and those that are soft, gooey, and moist.  What is it that makes them moist and gooey vs. dry?
Now... give me your Peanut Butter cookie and Oatmeal cookie recipes.
View Quote

Storage ~ a lot of times (not sure about every time) - but a lot of times if you store your cookies with a slice of apple, they'll stay / get soft.
Just my personal observations from cookie making - you can take it or leave it:

Don't overmix. Overmixing is bad for the dough. It's very bad for the dough. If recipe calls for "mix until just combined" - mix it until it is 'just combined' and stop. If it says "mix for 30 seconds" - mix for 30 seconds. etc.
If you do end up with a dry and crumbly dough - add some more (whatever type of liquid you're using in your dough). Cream, milk, etc. An egg. Personally, I generally avoid adding butter because I don't like really 'greasy' cookies, but I do like buttery cookies

Alternate cookie sheets
when baking if you can - while one is in the oven, the other is cooling back to room temp and you're starting with a 'fresh sheet' - you'll avoid some 'cookie spread'.  
Personal preference - I always use parchment paper - it is a Godsend in my kitchen in 822,000 different ways - least of which is - easy / quick pan clean up and allows for much faster cookie offload / pan cool off time.
If your cookie dough is too soft - Add a little bit of flour - starting a Tbsp at a time.
As has been said - refrigerate your dough - I try to do a minimum of at least 30minutes (but I usually end up doing overnight, then I have to end up letting it set out for half an hour before I start cooking it LOL)  

Try hydrating your raisins before mixing them -

Try a mix of raisins (golden raisins, dark raisins) - (usually things like that make for a a great / better / more memorable) cookie.

Hope this helps! Let us know how your cookies turn out :o)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top